The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Nov 29, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #1,051 of 5,721
Someone be honest with me, I've been seen quite a few STX on bay for sometime now with resale value prices averaging around $130, if the card is so great why are people letting them go, I've heard the driver support is terrible and even see them discontinued from Newegg, so whats going on?

Nov 29, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #1,052 of 5,721
I have a question. I have a stock Essence STX and a pair of stock HFI-780s. Using the Asus Xonar software, I have tried the 780s with the "high gain" setting and I really like the sound these cans make using that setting. It doesn't just increase the volume but really appears to give the 780s more punch.

Now, I see the warning about possibly damaging my headphones if run them using a higher gain setting, but how risky is it to run my HFI-780s using the "high gain" setting in the Asus control panel?

Is anyone else running their low-impedance cans using a higher gain setting?

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #1,053 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't.. the A5 has its own amplifier.. you should connect the line outs to the A5.. it has a line out which you should feed into your amplifier

What if I want to use both the A5 and headphone through a desktop amp (looking for a MKIII or 336se), as they both need to connect to the line out. Will this setup work?

card line out > amp line in > amp headphone out to hd650 and amp preamp out to A5

I am not sure if theres a switch to let you choose line out or headphone out on these amps? I don't see any from the pictures.

Nov 30, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #1,054 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by nivlek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What if I want to use both the A5 and headphone through a desktop amp (looking for a MKIII or 336se), as they both need to connect to the line out. Will this setup work?

card line out > amp line in > amp headphone out to hd650 and amp preamp out to A5

I am not sure if theres a switch to let you choose line out or headphone out on these amps? I don't see any from the pictures.

That is how mine is set up, and it works very nicely.
There is no switch for HP/line out on the little dot amps, they are both always on. If 'phones are connected you loose a little volume on the pre-outs, so just unplug your cans when you are using the speakers.

Nov 30, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #1,056 of 5,721
I thought the preamp out will bypass the desktop amp and let the A5 amp does the job. Is that still double amping?

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #1,057 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone be honest with me, I've been seen quite a few STX on bay for sometime now with resale value prices averaging around $130, if the card is so great why are people letting them go, I've heard the driver support is terrible and even see them discontinued from Newegg, so whats going on?

it's a trick question, right?
sarge.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #1,058 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by nivlek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the preamp out will bypass the desktop amp and let the A5 amp does the job. Is that still double amping?

the little dot is a PRE amp and HP amp, so it is not double amping per se, it is just like any other pre amp one might use

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #1,063 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the DT770 Pro is a major waste of money IMHO(V shaped EQ to death)...it's meant to be used in studio cabins, that's it. look at the second FAQ entry: FAQ´s Headphones

Aren't you the one who half-detroyed it by doing bad soldering on it in order to switch from 250 to 600 Ohms ?
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #1,064 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little country rat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't you the one who half-detroyed it by doing bad soldering on it in order to switch from 250 to 600 Ohms ?
biggrin.gif

you seem very misinformed my dear little rat...time to check your sources again
darthsmile.gif

I did buy some spare 600Ω drivers and Manufaktur black leather headband/ear pads and pimped my regular DT770/250Ω Premium...and then sold the 250Ω drivers(check my feedback thread if you like), I haven't killed anything whatsoever.

the DT770/600Ω Premium w/ full genuine leather is very nice(very clear trebles and lean bass response), but too monitoring-oriented to my taste, though...PRAT is low and the SS tiny. The DT770/Pro is really not worth it...boomy bass and crappy trebles, great...it's a studio work tool, nothing more.

and that's a recabled DT770/250Ω Premium:

and a recabled DT770/250Ω Pro(SQ was bad, the 80Ω is even worse, hah):

unlike many ppl on headfi, I make judgments after actually hearing the gear I'm talking about
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back