The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Oct 25, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #962 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they set L and R at 76% in the control panel mixer, increasing it to 100% is in good order?

No, if you boost the balance sliders to 100% you will get really badly limited sound. Any full scale transients will cause the built in limiter to activate & squash all other sounds & the limiter is the fast acting slow release kind causing the softer sound to ramp back up slowly enough to be disconcerting.

At 100% they boost the audio way beyond what the DACs are capable of reproducing so its a good thing the limiter is there.

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #963 of 5,721
hehe, no worries! "76" is the magic number...don't ask no questions, don't hear no lies
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #964 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, you probably haven't changed the setting in Windows.

Go into your Sounds and Devices and change the default audio device under 'Playback' to the STX.

Yo Bro

I did that but its still not doing anything. Its strange but when Im in Sounds & Devices then the test for "Speaker" goes fine (only the left speaker though) but when Im playingback/ testing it for S/PDIF Pass-through Device then no sound comes through
confused_face_2.gif
. Perplexed!!!!!

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #966 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you set your add-in soundcard as the default device?

Yes, in the following way (its a pity I cant copy and paste the screen shot):

"S/PDIF Pass-through Device
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Audio Device
Default Device"

Oct 26, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #967 of 5,721
God love Windows 7 and you Rob, did some autorepair and lo and behold its working. Only one problem now, sound is still coming only from one speaker (of my Logitech Z 2300's). Could it be a compatibility issue? should I try plugging my speakers through the headphone socket? Thanx mate!

p.s.- sound quality from one speaker is pretty awesome...

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #971 of 5,721
Anyone have experience with discrete op-amps like the Bursons or Audio-GDs? I'm considering getting one but am trying to figure out how I will connect them. They recommend soldering it directly to the socket but I don't like the idea of that at all!

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #972 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
God love Windows 7 and you Rob, did some autorepair and lo and behold its working. Only one problem now, sound is still coming only from one speaker (of my Logitech Z 2300's). Could it be a compatibility issue? should I try plugging my speakers through the headphone socket? Thanx mate!

p.s.- sound quality from one speaker is pretty awesome...

No problem, glad you got it figured out. Enjoy your new card.
Usually speakers issue like that are just connection issues.

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #973 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by walsh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have experience with discrete op-amps like the Bursons or Audio-GDs? I'm considering getting one but am trying to figure out how I will connect them. They recommend soldering it directly to the socket but I don't like the idea of that at all!

I have tested the cards with the Audio-GD discrete units...

What do you need to know?
I wouldn't solder them in, you may want to change them again down the road.
Which units are you planning on using and in which position on the card?

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #974 of 5,721
Still waiting
frown.gif

I've received the cimmaron brown-dog adaptors, and 2 of the 627BPs, but I have to wait for the other 2 to be sent to me. I can though confirm that the 2 adaptors will not seat side by side - one has to be extended above the other, but the adaptors do not cover the other socket's pins so no funny solutions are required like for the SM variants.

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #975 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Problem resolved, wasnt pushing it (jack) in hard enough...would love to know my girlfriends thought on that
ph34r.gif

Thanks all for your help....

probably wouldn't matter much any, seeing that it's a "mini plug"
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back