The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Aug 12, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #736 of 5,721
Have you tried them with your AD700s?

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #737 of 5,721
I'll do it now
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #738 of 5,721
Impressions with the AD700 w/ 2x LT1057 opamps:

Basically not a good combo. Adding warmth to an alreadly extra warm headphone like the AD700 makes the mids very piercing and increases listener fatigyue quite quickly. As with the DT880/600, slightly better soundstage (with the AD700 = insane soundstage) and more detail in the music. Bass in terms of quantity is there but it lacks impact but that's more due to the AD700's.

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #739 of 5,721
Thanks. I guess I'll have to keep searching .. although I might try them anyway for the hell of it hehe. I am getting rid of the AD700 soon for the AD900, so I am not sure if they'd work better with them. I guess I'll just have to try myself. :p

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #740 of 5,721
What would be the most neutral I/V and Buffer combo that is both the cleanest, and extends the furthest (both up and down?)

I'm not looking for any warmth/coldness in my source/amp, just simply clean neutrality.

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #741 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would be the most neutral I/V and Buffer combo that is both the cleanest, and extends the furthest (both up and down?)

I'm not looking for any warmth/coldness in my source/amp, just simply clean neutrality.

The first one that comes to my mind is:

OPA2107's for I/V and a dual LME49710HA module for the buffer.

That would be very clear and neutral I would think.

I will think about some other combo's. As the dual LME module is a bit hard to find
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #742 of 5,721
I am now trying the LME49720HA (3x) after the NA version : easy to plug directly in the slots (must just cut the legs and adapt the shape) and .... even much clearer sound (scene, instruments) very detailed music, perhaps a bit analysitc for those who don't like that (I do). I have now received two 1057 plus discrete G-Audio on their way.

The NA already had brought a huge improvement (clarity and bass), now it is getting even bigger.

At this point I find it difficult to imagine what can be improved, so I'll keep you posted (my modest contribution after having spent so many hours of learning yours).

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #743 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yann14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am now trying the LME49720HA (3x) after the NA version : easy to plug directly in the slots (must just cut the legs and adapt the shape) and .... even much clearer sound (scene, instruments) very detailed music, perhaps a bit analysitc for those who don't like that (I do). I have now received two 1057 plus discrete G-Audio on their way.

The NA already had brought a huge improvement (clarity and bass), now it is getting even bigger.

At this point I find it difficult to imagine what can be improved, so I'll keep you posted (my modest contribution after having spent so many hours of learning yours).

Would be a better idea in my opinion to use adapters. All my metal can opamps are on adapters. Makes them much more stable, you can use bent pins for testing but if your planning on using them for good the adapters make the connections much more solid.
Your card and your opamps so it is your choice.
Audio-GD discrete, yes they sound pretty good also. There are a few around here using discrete in these cards. Both Bursons and Audio-GD units. Happy testing.

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #745 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yann14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you tried the 1057's yet?

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #746 of 5,721
LT 1057 not yet tested. I am now on 4 days "break" to let the Audio-gd burn. They just have 24 hours now, so far from opening up. Only notice is a little more stuff on instruments (grain, asperities, well, what makes them sound more realistic). But definitive impressions to come in 2-3 days. And then the 1057.
Robscix, the 49720HA seemed quite happy in their DIP8 socs, I did not want to add another point of connexion, did not seem of importance + the connectors of the HA seems of higher quality than the DIP8 (silver alloy ?).

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #748 of 5,721
Anyone recently ordered some LME49720HA samples from national?

I tried to order but was getting charged $72 just for shipping.

I was getting it shipped to Toronto,Canada if that makes a difference.

Aug 22, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #749 of 5,721
Very important info for anyone upgrading to Win7 RTM: The Essence drivers are epically broken. I troubleshooted for the last 3 hours to figure out why I can't open any application (Firefox, foobar, whatever). The Win7 drivers are the cause and they will mess with your UAC/Administrator privileges.

The problem is posted on multiple threads in the Asus forums, and it seems to affect several Xonar cards: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- For those fighting Windows 7 x64 RTM

Aug 22, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #750 of 5,721
yeah, the Achilles heel of this card is the drivers....if I could find something similar w/ proper bloat-free bitmatched drivers, I'd change in a heartbeat!
evil_smiley.gif

all that C-Media legacy w/ HSMGR.EXE and the other 2 residents is no good...I don't want any resident app cloaking my system
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back