The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
May 22, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #61 of 5,722
This seems to be some kind of compatibility failure with the motherboard. The ASUS forums failed to help me, as well as their tech support, so I can't really give you any helpful advice. Try the card on a different PC to be sure it works OK.

May 22, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #62 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it seems that the 49720 has clearer trebles, but slightly less bass than 4562
confused.gif

Odd.... especially considering they are supposed to be the same exact part... though I also noticed that the LME49720 seemed a little bit clearer. However, if seeking sonic nirvana is your thing, IMO, the OPA211 (x2 in Browndog) sounds more "alive" and "organic".

May 22, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #63 of 5,722
well I've tried the 49720, then I've put back the 4562....and indeed the sound seemed less refined. so I've put back the 49720 again(I'm getting really handy at switching these now
biggrin.gif
) and it's definitely a winner
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't really trust my brain for non A/B comparisons, but the 49720 sounds really fantastic! ok thanks for the tip, I've ordered some OPA211 samples...I will have a friend of mine soldering them on DIP8 adapters.

I also plan to order TO99 metal 49720 and fit them (somehow) in the DIP8 adapters, everyone(even some National engineers) agrees that they sound better(better EMI shielding?)

May 22, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #64 of 5,722
if only they was free, I wouldnt mind trying a few of those TO99 my self. Since I will never beable to afford a pair let around one heh.

May 22, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #65 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if only they was free, I wouldnt mind trying a few of those TO99 my self. Since I will never beable to afford a pair let around one heh.

Trouble with those is you need to use adapter to modify the footprint from TO-99 to DIP8 for use on soundcards with Xonars you have to remove the sheilding to install them and the size of the unit prevents the EMI/RFI sheilding from being re-installed. Some don't like that idea...
wink.gif
You may be able to get them to just squeeze under the sheilding depending on how you modify them for use in the socket. To note: I have two dual TO99 modules.

May 22, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #66 of 5,722
I'm going to take the 4 sets of op-amps I have and give them to my fiancee to put little stickers on them with numbers. Then I'm going to blind test, even though it's difficult to do it very well with the few minutes in between for switching. This is really the only way I'll be able to not be listening for a certain sound signature that I expect from reading people's impressions.

May 22, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #67 of 5,722
..but some others say that the EMI shielding is bs to begin w/ : iXBT Labs - ASUS Xonar D2 Sound Card

Quote:

The screen on this card leaves a lot of questions. The problem with electromagnetic pickups inside a system unit are certainly exaggerated. Spectrum analysis in different computer configurations shows deterioration of results because of power interferences and grounding problems. Here is the proof - most professional cards can demonstrate the highest characteristics without any screens, and the Xonar D2 does not change its characteristics without its screen. Another oddity - the screen is covered with paint that does not conduct current. The paint apparently spells the death of the whole idea in places of contact with the ground. Our measurements show that the screen on our card is miraculously grounded. A close examination shows that the contact is ensured by screws that cut into the screen. But the situation is aggravated by paint on the screws, which does not let vibration unscrew them - so the screens on some cards may be ungrounded. Here is our advice to future owners of this card - you can remove the screen or scrape the paint off, where the grounding copper plates on the PCB touch the screen.

Thus, the screen on the Xonar D2 has a symbolic value - it makes users feel safer, those who have no idea of the true physics here. There is at least one negative effect from using this screen - elements on the PCB get noticeably hotter, which raises intrinsic noises. This correlation is apparent, it's reflected in specifications of the converters.

anyway, the STX shield doesn't conduct electricity(yes I tried
biggrin.gif
), put some tape on top of the TO99 to be 200% safe.

I'm just dubious about my skills fitting the TO99 in DIP8, but it's definitely doable....anyway I love the DIP8 49720 so far
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll recable my DT770 w/ UPOCC/furutech, I'll see where that leads me...Riding the Lion To Zion for sure
L3000.gif

May 22, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #68 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by Telix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to take the 4 sets of op-amps I have and give them to my fiancee to put little stickers on them with numbers. Then I'm going to blind test, even though it's difficult to do it very well with the few minutes in between for switching. This is really the only way I'll be able to not be listening for a certain sound signature that I expect from reading people's impressions.

The only way to know for sure is to test them yourself as it is very hard to go by another impressions. Everybody uses different gear and has different ears and tastes in sound. This is why I hesitate to give opinions for opamps as being better then this or that. I usually give a list and say try these.

I have about 100 units of opamps as it gets to be a bit of a hobby in itself.
wink.gif

May 22, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #69 of 5,722
apparently the LT1358 is also a winner, and linear.com does send samples...we need to find the best DIP8 from linear and TI
smily_headphones1.gif

the TO99 49720 are indeed not free...and the DIP8 version sounds awesome tbh, anything better might simply be overkill
redface.gif

PS: we'd be better off ordering AudioGd "Earth", no wasted money...just pure bliss! but I've got no idea how to fit the damn things in my case tbh
rolleyes.gif

http://www.audio-gd.com/enweb/pro/diy/OPA.htm

May 22, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #70 of 5,722
I try to ignore this kind of post : http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/mak...arnings-89714/

I really don't wanna become the Patrick82 of op-amps..."aaahhh, w/ the LTOPA49158, there's is much better low level details"
biggrin.gif

the only worthy upgrade I could see is either the audio-gd discrete stuff, or TO99 49720...a friend of mine is gonna give me DIP8 holders and random TO99 chips so I can train
tongue.gif

May 23, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #71 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by Telix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Make sure you post your results from your opamp tests they may come in handy for others.

May 23, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #72 of 5,722
Hi all,

Just to inform you that i've ordered 2 OPA Moon Dual to replace the stock opamps of the I/V circuit (i only use a headphone).

I'll keep you informed.

See ya

May 23, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #73 of 5,722
Nice summary on a fantastic card, Telix.
smily_headphones1.gif

For me, the LM6172 op-amp's were great for my Sennheiser HD650, they were very bright and energetic which was great for livening up the senns. I would say that the LM6172's had a smaller soundstage which was also a good match for the HD650s as the soundstage was already quite large on them.

Now that I'm using my DT990's though, I've switched to the LME49720 op-amps to counter-act the DT990's smaller soundstage and already prominent highs. Seems like a good pairing so far.

May 23, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #74 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by Symphoenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to inform you that i've ordered 2 OPA Moon Dual to replace the stock opamps of the I/V circuit (i only use a headphone).

I'll keep you informed.

awesome! my fingers are badly itching over ordering 2 OPA Earth for the I/V
biggrin.gif

I can't believe how good the 49720 sound, I don't want it to stop anymore!!! I want the real deal babe
beerchug.gif

upgraditis, here I come
smily_headphones1.gif

apparently the Audio-GD require 50mA per dual op-amp, hope the card can give! and that I can fit the damn things...apparently they're 4cm high, shouldn't require extension cords...need...to...take...measurements
tongue_smile.gif

PS: ah well : http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/aud...-v-2-a-397691/

http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/BUGLE/opamp.html

May 23, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #75 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by Symphoenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

I'll keep you informed.

See ya

Did you get the extension wires? There is not enough room to fit those units side by side in the STX I/V section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back