The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Sep 20, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #5,161 of 5,721
Did my Game zero burned because I have them in 300-600 ohms  from  the amplifier  from my Asus STX΄΄;;  one month now..

Chances are setting the STX to it's highest gain (300~600) did not damage your 150-Ohm Sennheiser Game Zero headphones.
No matter which gain setting you use on the STX ( <64-Ohm or 64~300-Ohm or 300~600-Ohm), it still takes the same amount of voltage for a given volume, on your headphones.
The higher gain settings give an extra voltage boost, but it's still the volume control that has the final say on how much voltage is sent to the headphones.

Sep 22, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #5,164 of 5,721
Fooling around with Xonar Audio Center settings. Found a cool way to add a nice, clean bass & body boost to my HD600's, instead of messing with the damn EQ.

1) Enable 'Dolby Virtual Speaker' ('Reference Mode' sound cleanest)
2) Enable '7.1 Virtual Speaker' (default)
3) In the 7.1 Virtual Speaker tab, click the guy in the middle of the blue square and drag him up a bit.
dt880smile.png

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #5,165 of 5,721
Hi. 

I'm using Foobar+ASIO with this card in Windows 8.1 and previously in Windows 7. I'd like to browse the web while listening to music but any activity on the browser (clicking tabs, opening the browser window, etc) gives me clicks and pops, bothering the audio reproduction. 

I tried this: Enable onboard audio as favourite device for general purpose (everything else but music) leaving music to Foobar and Xonar Essence in the output options of Foobar, but still I'm getting clicks and pops when operating the browser window. 

Should I give up ASIO playback in favour of Wasapi or Kernel Streaming? Do Unidrivers solve this (I always used ASUS drivers)?

Thanks. 

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #5,166 of 5,721
  Hi. 

I'm using Foobar+ASIO with this card in Windows 8.1 and previously in Windows 7. I'd like to browse the web while listening to music but any activity on the browser (clicking tabs, opening the browser window, etc) gives me clicks and pops, bothering the audio reproduction. 

I tried this: Enable onboard audio as favourite device for general purpose (everything else but music) leaving music to Foobar and Xonar Essence in the output options of Foobar, but still I'm getting clicks and pops when operating the browser window. 

Should I give up ASIO playback in favour of Wasapi or Kernel Streaming? Do Unidrivers solve this (I always used ASUS drivers)?

Thanks. 

Disable all audio devices except the one you are using.

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #5,167 of 5,721
I tried this: Enable on-board audio as favorite device for general purpose (everything else but music) leaving music to Foobar and Xonar Essence in the output options of Foobar, but still I'm getting clicks and pops when operating the browser window. 
Should I give up ASIO playback in favor of Wasapi or Kernel Streaming? Do Unidrivers solve this (I always used ASUS drivers)?

Leave on-board audio disabled in the BIOS, just use the STX for all audio.
Move STX to PCI-E slot farthest from graphics card
Try using WASAPI component with Foobar2000.
Delete Asus drivers and install the Unified Xonar Drivers.

If you still have clicking issues, you might consider selling off STX and getting something (DAC/amp) external.

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #5,168 of 5,721
I've had something similar happen with wasapi exclusive in windows 7 and google chrome. Chrome would see that the audio device wasn't available, and then would automatically force itself on the next available audio device, causing the drop outs in the exclusive renderer. I didn't think it happened with asio though.

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #5,169 of 5,721
  Hi. 

Thanks. 

Foobar with WASAPI (push) works best for me, I had pops using ASIO too.

Sep 29, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #5,170 of 5,721
I'm gonna try all this options and combinations and see what works for me... I'll let you know the results. Thanks for the quick feedback :)

EDIT: I tried everything except Unified Xonar drivers. Only way I get rid of clicks and pops when using Chrome is selecting Wasapi or KS. So, ASIO seems to have problems to coexist with other PC activities like using a web browser. I'll try Unified drivers now. 

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #5,171 of 5,721
just to elaborate, to disable the other sound devices, you go to control panel, hardware and sound, sound, right click on everything and click disable until there is just one xonar entry remaining.

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #5,172 of 5,721
  just to elaborate, to disable the other sound devices, you go to control panel, hardware and sound, sound, right click on everything and click disable until there is just one Xonar entry remaining.

Basically that should work.

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #5,173 of 5,721
Man there is a lot of info in this thread.  Thanks to everyone for the valuable read.  I'm using the STX with JRiver and Wasapi.  I'm about to order 3 Burr Brown OPA627AU op amp modules. 

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #5,174 of 5,721
Hi,

can i get some assistance here? :)
i have issue with DPC, constant is around 600-1000, sometimes  he hold 1000 sometimes 600 ..
i saw that others have under 50 ..

What i can do to decrease it?

p.s: using latest asus-xonar-unified-drivers on windows 10 64bit (also test DPC without driver and it is same).
switching hpet on/off did not change situation...

latencymon on drivers:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tzhbdx09z5be85v/latency.PNG?dl=0

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts. 
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:09:37  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        SATURN
OS version:                                           Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200 (x64)
Hardware:                                             All Series, ASUS, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., MAXIMUS VI HERO
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4771 CPU @ 3.50GHz
Logical processors:                                   8
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  16318 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   80 MHz
Measured CPU speed:                                   88 MHz (approx.)
Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.
WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature. 

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.
Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   921.066784
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   11.988694
Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       915.619164
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       4.411474

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.
Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              120.760
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       portcls.sys - Port Class (Class Driver for Port/Miniport Devices), Microsoft Corporation
Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.087770
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   portcls.sys - Port Class (Class Driver for Port/Miniport Devices), Microsoft Corporation
Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.132632
ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   1079480
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.
Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              505.030
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       netbt.sys - MBT Transport driver, Microsoft Corporation
Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.170922
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         rspLLL64.sys - Resplendence Latency Monitoring and Auxiliary Kernel Library, Resplendence Software Projects Sp.
Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.473954
DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   3502890
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                61
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.
NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.
Process with highest pagefault count:                 explorer.exe
Total number of hard pagefaults                       3209
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          893
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs):          324189.30
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%):              0.123055
Number of processes hit:                              24

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       35.478014
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                120.760
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.884025
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      149026
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                205.2150
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   10.182469
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      1753597
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       34.172522
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                88.550
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   2.130864
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      322929
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                505.030
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   5.061104
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      900479
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       23.548134
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                73.640
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.378785
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      84951
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                286.0950
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   2.353686
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      239062
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       27.156871
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                72.8450
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.830189
CPU 3 ISR count:                                      144744
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                287.6050
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.799969
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      145563
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       21.741092
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                56.3150
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.333466
CPU 4 ISR count:                                      74843
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                255.75250
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   1.377724
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      140551
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       25.561149
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                75.218750
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.720630
CPU 5 ISR count:                                      126124
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                255.8250
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.603582
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      116602
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       20.944785
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                62.7650
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.327996
CPU 6 ISR count:                                      74907
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                248.20250
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.862697
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      103485
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       25.713450
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                67.70
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.521989
CPU 7 ISR count:                                      101956
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                319.280
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.656612
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      103612

and jriver from time to time just crash (using over asio driver) and jriver is default playback device on windows.

Oct 7, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #5,175 of 5,721
  Man there is a lot of info in this thread.  Thanks to everyone for the valuable read.  I'm using the STX with JRiver and Wasapi.  I'm about to order 3 Burr Brown OPA627AU op amp modules. 

OPA627 is single OPA. STX uses duals. You may order OPA2107AP which is supposed to be close sounding to the 627. Or you can go with the 627 on adapters but you need 6 pcs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back