The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Sep 4, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #5,134 of 5,721
Just came here to say that I just put 2 Burson Supreme Sound Opamps in the I/V and a MUSES02 in the buffer... WOW! Everything is perfect. Just keep in mind that you'll need some extensions because these things are huge. luckily Burson offers extensions that you can purchase separately.

http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/discrete-opamp/

Sep 5, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #5,135 of 5,721
Thanks for the lookup on the Burson® Supreme Sound™ modules; they're perfect for a number of home-audio devices.  I'm more awaiting an all-SMT counterpart thereto that I can fit in my STX' buffer sockets and not have to punch holes in the RFI shield; I cannot use them in my Asus® CM1630 at present, as the STX has to sit right next the EAH6850DC/2D1S/1GD5 video card due to the expansion-slot set-up on the stock M4A78LT-M 'board.

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #5,136 of 5,721
  Thanks for the lookup on the Burson® Supreme Sound™ modules; they're perfect for a number of home-audio devices.  I'm more awaiting an all-SMT counterpart thereto that I can fit in my STX' buffer sockets and not have to punch holes in the RFI shield; I cannot use them in my Asus® CM1630 at present, as the STX has to sit right next the EAH6850DC/2D1S/1GD5 video card due to the expansion-slot set-up on the stock M4A78LT-M 'board.

I run SLI GTX 970s and I noticed no difference when I had my RFI shield off. It's also really tight in mine too, but the great thing about the Burson extensions is that they're bendable. I am now able to put my RFI shield back on without having to cut anything on the face of the card. I did notch out a spot on the sides so that the two Opamps could go through. Ignore the electrical tape... I just wanted to be sure it couldn't do anything bad.

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #5,137 of 5,721
Hello guys, i purchased a Senn HD650 and i want to try a few op-amps. Reading the recommendations given in the first post, would be a good idea to try LME49720NA in the buffer an leaving the I/V stock ?

My idea is to get a little more soundstage with a bit more of bass. I'll appreciate the recomendations !

(Sorry for my english, maybe writing here is a good way to improve it).

Sep 8, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #5,138 of 5,721
  Hello guys, i purchased a Senn HD650 and i want to try a few op-amps. Reading the recommendations given in the first post, would be a good idea to try LME49720NA in the buffer an leaving the I/V stock ?

My idea is to get a little more sound stage with a bit more of bass. I'll appreciate the recommendations !

(Sorry for my English, maybe writing here is a good way to improve it).

The LM4652 in the STX's buffer slot is a relabeled LME49720.
So I'm guess you will want to replace the two op-amps in the I/V slots.

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #5,139 of 5,721
The buffer does not pass signal to the integrated headphone amp. The hp amplifier gets the signal directly from the I/V. If you have an external HP amp then you might try swapping the buffer but it should sound similar to the stock config.

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #5,141 of 5,721
  The buffer does not pass signal to the integrated headphone amp. The hp amplifier gets the signal directly from the I/V. If you have an external HP amp then you might try swapping the buffer but it should sound similar to the stock config.

You're right, thanks for the info. I think i just have to read a lot about op-amps and which combination would be a good match for the HD 650.

If anyone has an idea how to get a little more bass and a soundstage, i'll appreciate it.

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #5,142 of 5,721
on the first page of this thread you can find some different Op-Amps tested with the HD650s.
According to it the LME49720 is a good choice, if you want more bass the LM6172 would be a better choice.

The LME49720HA has a better bass and also the sound stage should be better than the NA´s, but you willl need an adapter to DIP8 or you have to bend the pins to fit in (it comes in TO-99 metal casing). 
these 49720 are not perfect, a slight lack of bass(but it sounds natural! I don't want a DT770/Pro-like subwoofer bass 
rolleyes.gif
), the upper medium sounds highly detailed and very transparent, the soundstage VERY involving...I understand that all non-discrete op-amps are a compromise, and apparently the TO99 49720 does improve the bass reponse 

According to other posts the sound quality will also improve, when you use two single rail OP-AMPs (for example 2 LME49710HA) on an adapter board. 

But in the end your choice depends on your personal preferences and how you want the sound. 
L3000.gif

I will probably order the LME49710HAs and an adapter. Then i can tell you how it sounds compared to my current setup (2x LME49720NA and 1x LM6172 in buffer).

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #5,143 of 5,721
Guys for line out card is using 3 op-amp same time?
I forget it :)

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #5,144 of 5,721
Hey all,

I am going to begin perusing the 300+ pages to see what I can find, but I am just now getting around to assembling a build with a Xonar Essence STX and Windows 8.1 64-Bit.

I am not ready to use third-party drivers, and would rather avoid the "Beta" drivers provided by ASUS. This leaves me with little to choose from. Do/Would the Windows 8 drivers work for Windows 8.1 with a Xonar Essence STX?

Is there perhaps a different sound card recommendation that is more up to date? Frustrating predicament, to say the least. Weird that ASUS doesn't seem to support this card more...

Thanks all :)

Sep 11, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #5,145 of 5,721
  Im Vietnamese, the Museses ordered from stores of Taobao.com (chinese website/providers). where are you from?

here 2x Muses02 + 2x Muses8920 cost me only US $20, pretty cheap huh :))

Those prices are screaming fakes. A used muses01/02 are found near the $30 mark. It is generally risky to be ordering electrical parts from Taobao. Mouser electronics/ more research could be a good source to check for price references.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back