The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Sep 11, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #5,146 of 5,721
  Guys for line out card is using 3 op-amp same time?
I forget it :)

Yes, 2xIV / lowpass and one for buffer. Anyone tried OPA2107AP? It's expensive but it's supposed to sound close to the famous single OPA627.

Sep 11, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #5,147 of 5,721
  Guys for line out card is using 3 op-amp same time?
I forget it :)

Yes, line-output on the Essence STX (& ST) use all three op-amps.

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #5,148 of 5,721
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg

Yes, line-output on the Essence STX (& ST) use all three op-amps.

+1

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #5,149 of 5,721
hi

i consider getting this card , however in the past i had asus xonar d1 and i expirenced problems such as

horrible random high volume noise - not very common , but when it happen it is scarry and could damage earing

card not detected during startup - this started to happen around a year after i got the card

my question is , how common are this problems ? (i notice that in this forum there is a thread about the random high noise from the card) , how reliable the card is ? , do you own it for more than a year without problems ?

thanks for any answer.

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #5,151 of 5,721
  hi

i consider getting this card , however in the past i had asus xonar d1 and i expirenced problems such as

horrible random high volume noise - not very common , but when it happen it is scarry and could damage earing

card not detected during startup - this started to happen around a year after i got the card

my question is , how common are this problems ? (i notice that in this forum there is a thread about the random high noise from the card) , how reliable the card is ? , do you own it for more than a year without problems ?

thanks for any answer.

I've never had any issues outside of compatibility ones and that is fixed by using better drivers. I've gone through 3 of these cards... First was a standard PCI card and then I upgraded my motherboard so I had to get a PCI-E version and the first one one those I got was DOA, but I was quickly given a replacement from Amazon. No other issues since.

Sep 12, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #5,153 of 5,721
  another question, what DAC/AMP would you consider as an alternative for this card ?
(in terms of sound quality) ?

Maybe a Schiit Fulla, USB/DAC/amp

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #5,154 of 5,721
  hi

thanks for any answer.

Card not detected during startup?  That is a known hardware issue with the C-Media CMI-8788 digital audio processor.  The Advanced LinUX Sound Architecture Project has a full Page "Xonar EEPROM failure" on this issue and a solution usable in International Business Machines PC DOS or equivalent.

Sep 13, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #5,155 of 5,721
i am not sure if my case with the d1 is exactly the problem that you describe.
since sometimes the card is not detected and after few more reboots and it suddenly detected.
and by "detected" i mean a clicking sound during startup and recognition by windows.

also the card had another problem which is random very high noise , luckly everytime it happen
i was using headphones that are not very loud and i was able to get them away from my head very 
fast, however if i had full size headphones during this event i could had earing damage....

anyway i don't think that i will buy an asus sound card again, their cards are very tempting
to get, with alot of features & good sound quality , however the fact that i paid money for something
that died so soon is just so annoying, i had much less expensive hardware that lasted for years.

i guess that there is a reason why they don't give more than one year warrenty for their sound cards...

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #5,156 of 5,721
i am not sure if my case with the d1 is exactly the problem that you describe.
since sometimes the card is not detected and after few more reboots and it suddenly detected.
and by "detected" i mean a clicking sound during startup and recognition by windows.

also the card had another problem which is random very high noise , luckly everytime it happen
i was using headphones that are not very loud and i was able to get them away from my head very 
fast, however if i had full size headphones during this event i could had earing damage....

anyway i don't think that i will buy an asus sound card again, their cards are very tempting
to get, with alot of features & good sound quality , however the fact that i paid money for something
that died so soon is just so annoying, i had much less expensive hardware that lasted for years.

i guess that there is a reason why they don't give more than one year warrenty for their sound cards...

You're free to do as you please, but IMO I wouldn't let 1 card influence your decision just because you got unlucky. I assure you that it's a rare occurance... Stuff like that is a possibility on all hardware. Maybe you should hold out until these new STRIX cards come out... they're looking to be amazing.

Sep 20, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #5,157 of 5,721
Hello

before    one month ago I bought the headphones gamezero

My question is   that the headphones is    150 ohms and I put them in the amplier asus stx to 300-600 ohms for the reason that in 150 ohms  i  was listening LOW .. although they  told me   that the amplier from   asus stx can handle my   headphones ..which are  150  ohms

my question is and I do not know maybe is  my   imagination

I think   that     they    do not give the intensity as they gave before  ... did my headfones  burned ;;;

;; I want to say is it  POSSIBLE  that  gamezero   loses a little in intensity ,,,,,,,,,, ... ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

did  my headfones burned;;;;

Sep 20, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #5,160 of 5,721
  Before one month ago I bought the headphones game zero
My question is   that the headphones is 150 ohms and I put them in the amplifier Asus STX to 300-600 ohms for the reason that in 150 ohms  I was listening LOW .. although they told me that the amplifier from   Asus STX can handle my headphones..which are 150 ohms
my question is and I do not know maybe is  my   imagination
I think   that     they    do not give the intensity as they gave before  ... did my headphones  burned ;;;
;; I want to say is it  POSSIBLE  that  Game Zero   loses a little in intensity ,,,,,,,,,, ... ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
did  my headphones burned;;;;

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before installing the STX and the Asus software?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back