The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Apr 27, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #4,996 of 5,721
  Someone told me, to put for buffer: OPA2132P, and also to buy an LM4562NA, because is the same with the one I have now for buffer.
And, he said me to do two tests:

1 - OPA2132P buffer + original JRC's I/V
2 - OPA2132P buffer + 2xLM4562's I/V (the new one and the original one, that was for buffer)

And to see in which one of these two combinations, sounds better.

Sounds cool.

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #4,997 of 5,721
Some quick questions regarding this sound card if anyone would like to help me out.

I currently use instead of my laptop's terrible onboard audio a FiiO E17 to drive my Sennheiser PC 350 headset and a FiiO L7 dock connected to the E17 to line out to my powered 2.0 speaker system as well as a cheap audio dongle to get better mic input clarity with less of the noise.

I'm thinking of a PC build and this has been high on my list of items to include for my current headset and speakers above. How exactly does switching between the R/L outputs and the Headphone output work? Do both constantly receive a signal or do you have to set it in windows or the software to enable one and disable the other. Also is the R/L RCA outputs line out or powered? I'm not exactly keen on plugging in my 2.0 powered speaker system into anything other than line level.

How is the microphone input quality? Is it clear sounding and true? Noisy at all? Or would I be better off getting a separate solution for microphone use (I've had my eye on an Audio Technica AT2020 but would prefer to use my headset if it is good enough).

Lastly, how do the front panel connections work? About 99% chance I'd never use this part but are they amplified as well for high impedance headphones?

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #4,998 of 5,721
  Some quick questions regarding this sound card if anyone would like to help me out.
I currently use instead of my laptop's terrible on-board audio a FiiO E17 to drive my Sennheiser PC 350 headset and a FiiO L7 dock connected to the E17 to line out to my powered 2.0 speaker system as well as a cheap audio dongle to get better mic input clarity with less of the noise.
I'm thinking of a PC build and this has been high on my list of items to include for my current headset and speakers above. How exactly does switching between the R/L outputs and the Headphone output work? Do both constantly receive a signal or do you have to set it in windows or the software to enable one and disable the other. Also is the R/L RCA outputs line out or powered? I'm not exactly keen on plugging in my 2.0 powered speaker system into anything other than line level.
How is the microphone input quality? Is it clear sounding and true? Noisy at all? Or would I be better off getting a separate solution for microphone use (I've had my eye on an Audio Technica AT2020 but would prefer to use my headset if it is good enough).
Lastly, how do the front panel connections work? About 99% chance I'd never use this part but are they amplified as well for high impedance headphones?

When you talk about the "R/L RCA outputs", what are these RCA outputs connected to?
I would assume you would connect the E17 to the optical port on the new PC (just like the laptop?).
Keeping everything the same as you had on the laptop.
The front panel headphone jack may or may not be amplified (for headphones), depends on the motherboard or whatever internal add-on card you might use.

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #4,999 of 5,721
As a video amplifier, the National Semiconductor®/Texas Instruments® LM6172IN may be built for 75Ω loads common to component and composite video but is untested at 600Ω.

LM6172 sounds like crap compared to the originals and OPA2107 I have now in the IV position.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #5,000 of 5,721
Well, I stopped at the configuration with  OPA2132PA, for buffer + 2x JRC2114D (the original ones) for I/V.
For my 2.1 Corsair system, (and my taste, of course), sounds really great.
Just changed the buffer.

May 3, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #5,001 of 5,721
What is the consensus regarding replacing the JRC2114 in the original STX with the MUSES 8920 that the STX II uses?  Or with the MUSES01/02?  Is it a worthwhile upgrade?  How do the MUSES sound compared to the stock op-amps?

I've been generally happy with my original Xonar STX during the year I've owned it.  However, I think it's holding back my Sennheiser HD 700.  I'd prefer to stay with the Xonar because I enjoy the Dolby Headphone capability for surround emulation in games.  However, I'd like to get as much as I can from the card.  I've searched the forums and Google, but I can't find any detail to answer my question.  There were a few posts from members reporting good results replacing their original op-amps, but they were vague.

I'm new to the forum and still learning.  I appreciate your help!

May 9, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #5,002 of 5,721
Hello

I have default I/V and buffer oamps on my STX , i want upgrade oamps for my new eve audio sc205/DT990 , witch combination of oamps is best under 50$ , i prefer wide soundstage and dynamic , music style : jazz , metal , djent ...

Thanks

May 9, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #5,003 of 5,721
Well, after many searches, and some attempts, I stopped on an excellent configuration for me with a sound balanced on all three lines: low, medium and high. A sound very pleasant, warm with perfect accuracy and an SNR of 122 dB.
And all these, obtained with 3x OPA2132PA (buffer + I/V)

May 9, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #5,004 of 5,721
In which case, the Brown-Burr® OPA2132PA is a candidate for the I-V in my Asus® CM1630-06 as upgraded.  Texas Instruments has dual amplifiers in the JEDEC 8-pin DIP for most tastes, and the aftermarket has adapters for TI's surface-mount singles such as the National Semiconductor® LME49990MA.  Hopefully I can get me a USB XONAR® product for auditioning headphones at the 18 July 2015 meet....

May 10, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #5,005 of 5,721
I want to mention that I have heard many people saying that the real music it's listening without equalizer, or another mode of sound correction . Personally I prefer to listen the music using the equalizer, where I like to dose the sound how I wish, meaning the high line, low or medium.
Therefore, it could be possible that the  OPA2132PA triplet, to not ring as well defined, on all three lines: low, medium and high, without the equalizer intervention.

May 17, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #5,006 of 5,721
What is current price for this soundcard? I see most stores here have it for 180 euros which is a lot if I think back few years I think it was around 100-150, as I remember I had long nights thinking whether to get this or Bravura, turned out my choice was wrong cause Bravura will have to go when Windows 10 comes.

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #5,008 of 5,721
hi i just got my xonar stx and i am about to order some op amp and buffer.
can some advice me what combination is best for clear and natural sound, good sound stage and good mid. bass not sure worry because my headphone is philips x1 can product good base.

please help 
thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #5,009 of 5,721
You basically described the LME4562, 49720, 49860 family. I would say get the LME49860 as it is the cherry picked version of the group, plus they are still only $3 a pop. Just get 3 of them for the I/V and the buffer. It gives very good clarity and sound stage. Make sure you have a low ripple PSU as well.

Jun 8, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #5,010 of 5,721
cool so LME49860 x 3 is the best setting? i dont mind paying a bit more for it. as long as give good clear natural and good sound stage.
i am using seasonic 860w platinum. i think should be fine.

thanks for the advice mate.
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back