The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jun 9, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #5,026 of 5,721
ahh thanks again.
so which headphone can pair with the NFB 15? price range 300-400 open back headphone.
brand that i like beyerdynamic, audio technica, AKG not sure about hifiman but the review are good.

thanks

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #5,027 of 5,721
I believe the AKG K7XX is a good value, at $200 (used), it seems to be about equal as the next higher priced AKG (Can't remember which model).
I the K7XX are being built in China, as normally AKG's higher end headphones are still make in Austria.
Guess that why the K7XX offers such nice sound, for it's price.

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #5,030 of 5,721
  nice AKG K7XX. does it give good bass not too much , detail and smooth sound?
thanks
i will check it out
how about Audio-Technica ad2000x?

Audio Technica are among my favorite headphones, currently my ATH-W1000X is my preferred headphone.
The ATH-AD2000X would need very little power, so the amplifier in the NFB-15 might be overkill (but yes the AD2000X would sound very nice plugged into the NFB-15).
If you got the AD2000X, then you could just use something like the Schiit Fulla ($79) USB/DAC/Amp.

Jun 9, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #5,032 of 5,721
Ok thanks. Does higher ohm light 250 ohm sound better then 90 ohm? I just check the muse price too expensive and not worth getting it.
Not sure about high ohm vs low ohm.

I own three 600-Ohm headphones, four 250-Ohm headphones and my preferred headphone is 40-Ohms (W1000X)
The Denon AH-D2000 was a well liked headphone and it was only 25-Ohms.
So the Ohms is not really the deciding factor for audio quality.
But if some company goes to the trouble of making a headphone over 100-Ohms, chances are it's going to be fairly good, over wise no-one would buy it.
Usually low costing cheapo headphones are around 32-Ohms, something that will work with out the need of a headphone amplifier.
If you have a A/V or stereo receiver, usually their headphone jack works better with higher Ohm headphones.
(I like to use my DT990 Premium 600-Ohm, plugged into my Yamaha A/V receiver, for watching Blu-ray movies)
I think more in the past the better sounding headphones were higher Ohm, worked well with a studio setup and die hard music listeners would be will to spend cash for a tube amplifier.
But the headphone market today has shifted to smartphone, iPhone, iPod, DAP were low Ohm headphones/IEMs work best.
So companies invest in technologies to improve low Ohm headphones.

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #5,033 of 5,721
ahh cool learn something again thanks.
i have an old yamaha  v1200 av receiver sitting around. 
i try to hock it with my pc via toslink. when i play the music file i cannot hear anything from my headphone.
i need to turn the volume to the max and i can only hear very very low voice.
my headphone is 30 ohm. not sure why? may by the av receiver not good enough to power the headphone?

thanks

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #5,034 of 5,721
  ahh cool learn something again thanks.
i have an old yamaha  v1200 av receiver sitting around. 
i try to hock it with my pc via toslink. when i play the music file i cannot hear anything from my headphone.
i need to turn the volume to the max and i can only hear very very low voice.
my headphone is 30 ohm. not sure why? may by the av receiver not good enough to power the headphone?

The Yamaha AV1200's headphone jack outputs way more power then those 30-Ohm headphones would every need, the problem is how the power is delivered.
For best damping and control of the headphone diaphragm, you want the headphones to have at least 8 to 10 times the impedance (Ohms) of the source.
So for 30-Ohm headphones, you would want to use a source jack with an impedance of around 4-Ohms or less.
If you plug 30-Ohm headphones into a source that is 15-Ohms, it would still sound decent, maybe get slightly bloated (louder, less detailed) bass.
The Essence STX's headphone jack has an output impedance of 10-Ohms, the NFB-15 2-Ohms.
Chances are the Yamaha's headphone jack could roughly have an output impedance of 75-Ohms to 300-Ohms.
So headphones in the 250-Ohm to 600-Ohm range would be better for use with your Yamaha.

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #5,035 of 5,721
oh ok that is why it sound very very soft. i mean whisper sound.

i always have this question. an avr vs NFB-15
i saw this ad selling pioneer vsx 323 k for USD 180 (used)
and NFB-15 USD 280 (new)

which one sound better? of course the avr has all the feature and so on.
or both sound the same.

cheers

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #5,036 of 5,721
  oh ok that is why it sound very very soft. i mean whisper sound.
i always have this question. an avr vs NFB-15
i saw this ad selling pioneer vsx 323 k for USD 180 (used)
and NFB-15 USD 280 (new)
which one sound better? of course the avr has all the feature and so on.
or both sound the same.

For headphones.
The NFB-15s dual DAC chips and low output impedance headphone amplifier should make headphones sound better.

Jun 26, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #5,039 of 5,721

For headphones.
The NFB-15s dual DAC chips and low output impedance headphone amplifier should make headphones sound better.

Hello, I want to know how many channels should I set Xonar to... I have connected Bose Soundlink Mini speaker to Xonar. 

Also does Xonar not play without a headphone? I want to listen to my laptop speakers but when Xonar is in, I don't hear anything unless I plug in to the Xonar

I set the Digital Output as Xonar X3 and made it the default device, and then I tried seeing if sound played with Speakers as the default communication device on and then another time with it disabled.. Still no sound on laptop speakers. I'm on a HP laptop with Beats installed.

Please help me out with this.

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #5,040 of 5,721
  Hello, I want to know how many channels should I set Xonar to... I have connected Bose Sound link Mini speaker to Xonar. 
Also does Xonar not play without a headphone? I want to listen to my laptop speakers but when Xonar is in, I don't hear anything unless I plug in to the Xonar
I set the Digital Output as Xonar X3 and made it the default device, and then I tried seeing if sound played with Speakers as the default communication device on and then another time with it disabled.. Still no sound on laptop speakers. I'm on a HP laptop with Beats installed.
Please help me out with this.

Xonar X3? assuming you mean Xonar U3, the $40 Xonar USB sound card?
And you using a 3.5mm (1/8") plug to 3.5mm plug cable to connect the U3 to the Bose?
The Xonar U3 should have automatically become the default audio device, when you plugged it into the computer (and installed the Asus software).
The Xonar U3 control panel should have the output set to "Speaker"
and as I'm assuming this setup is for music, the Xonar control panel's Audio channel should be set to "2-channels".
Should not need to have the "digital output" enabled (leave disabled).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back