The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jan 19, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #4,966 of 5,721
  Anyone know the specific of amplification of this card ? 

The STX II around 32ohm how many mW can give ? 
Creative ZXR give 80mW to 32ohm for example.

Those cards has the same HP-amp chip, I'm sure that if they differ at all it wont be by much.

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #4,967 of 5,721
  Anyone know the specific of amplification of this card ? 

The STX II around 32ohm how many mW can give ? 
Creative ZXR give 80mW to 32ohm for example.

The Asus STX and ST and STX II and SB-ZxR all use the same TI 6120A2 headphone amplifier chip.
So I doubt much of a difference between them.

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #4,968 of 5,721
Hello everyone,

Good to see that the Xonar STX still being used in 2015! :)
I bought the Xonar STX last month together with my new pair of HD 650's and I love the combo so far!     

The only thing that bothered me was that when I read some of the topics here about the HD650 + Xonar STX combo, that the Xonar STX did not do the HD 650 enough justice because it could not produce the nice 'mids' for the HD650.
For that I feared that I mabey picked the wrong audio solution for my HD 650.  (A dedicated amp/dac would probably be better for the HD650. .?)

Unfortunatley I can't return the Xonar STX anymore, but I was wondering if it is still possible to connect a dedicated AMP to my Xonar STX? (perhaps via the line-in port)  Id rather not replace any OP amps on the card itself, unless it makes a really big difference.  But from 

In example, would it be possible to connect a Little Dot Mk3 on my Xonar STX its line in, and bypass the internal amp, but still keeping the benefits from the Xonar STX?   or  is it just better to replace the entire Xonar STX with a dedicated amp like the Mk3?

Or does anyone have any other advice what to use instead or in combi with the HD 650?   (please note its a 300 ohm headphone)

Thx in advance!

Jan 23, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #4,969 of 5,721
If you love the combo then do not worry. I compared my Xonar Essence ST to a V90 DAC and Yulong A800 amp for DT990's and my speakers. Both the headphones and speakers sounded so close that whatever gains there was was not worth the money. Change the op amps if you want to color the sound for your tastes. Make sure your power supply has low ripple as well. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #4,970 of 5,721
  Good to see that the Xonar STX still being used in 2015! :)
I bought the Xonar STX last month together with my new pair of HD 650's and I love the combo so far!     
The only thing that bothered me was that when I read some of the topics here about the HD650 + Xonar STX combo, that the Xonar STX did not do the HD 650 enough justice because it could not produce the nice 'mids' for the HD650.
For that I feared that I maybe picked the wrong audio solution for my HD 650.  (A dedicated amp/dac would probably be better for the HD650. .?)
Unfortunatley I can't return the Xonar STX anymore, but I was wondering if it is still possible to connect a dedicated AMP to my Xonar STX? (perhaps via the line-in port)  Id rather not replace any OP amps on the card itself, unless it makes a really big difference.  But from 
In example, would it be possible to connect a Little Dot Mk3 on my Xonar STX its line in, and bypass the internal amp, but still keeping the benefits from the Xonar STX?   or  is it just better to replace the entire Xonar STX with a dedicated amp like the Mk3?
Or does anyone have any other advice what to use instead or in combi with the HD 650?   (please note its a 300 ohm headphone)
Thx in advance!

You can connect just about any external headphone amplifier to the line-output (RCAs) on the STX.
The STX can not send it's Dolby Headphone surround sound thru the RCA jacks, but if this setup is mostly for music, then no problems there.

Hopefully you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS.
As sometimes on-board causes issues with an add-on sound card.

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #4,971 of 5,721
I grabbed me the stx to go with my sennheiser g4me zero's and been really happy with sound quality but can't seem to get my mic (on headset) to work, i have the mic cord plugged into the line in/ mic in port on the back of the card but cant get it to work with any program, the mic works with the motherboard audio so i must be missing something in the asus settings. if you need any info let me know

i7 3770k
gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
16gb ram
windows 8.1 64bit

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #4,972 of 5,721
Just got the Xonar STX earlier this week.  Paired with DT990's. Happy so far but had some real issues getting everything working.

Like an idiot I didn't notice that you had to 'set' the output you wanted to use.  I was uninstalling drivers, trying differing power, everything until I decided to try the rca outputs.  Then i figured it out...

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #4,973 of 5,721
  I grabbed me the stx to go with my sennheiser g4me zero's and been really happy with sound quality but can't seem to get my mic (on headset) to work, i have the mic cord plugged into the line in/ mic in port on the back of the card but cant get it to work with any program, the mic works with the motherboard audio so i must be missing something in the Asus settings. if you need any info let me know

i7 3770k
gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
16gb ram
windows 8.1 64bit

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS?
Sometimes active on-board audio has a negative effect on the add-on sound card.

Might also try deleting the Asus software and use the Unified Xonar Drivers.
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #4,974 of 5,721
  Just got the Xonar STX earlier this week.  Paired with DT990's. Happy so far but had some real issues getting everything working.

Like an idiot I didn't notice that you had to 'set' the output you wanted to use.  I was uninstalling drivers, trying differing power, everything until I decided to try the rca outputs.  Then i figured it out...

Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS?

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #4,975 of 5,721
  I grabbed me the stx to go with my sennheiser g4me zero's and been really happy with sound quality but can't seem to get my mic (on headset) to work, i have the mic cord plugged into the line in/ mic in port on the back of the card but cant get it to work with any program, the mic works with the motherboard audio so i must be missing something in the asus settings. if you need any info let me know

i7 3770k
gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
16gb ram
windows 8.1 64bit

Do you see it in the recording section of your sound settings?

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #4,977 of 5,721
Just picked up the Essence STX.

Listening with Sony MDR-7506: Stock Opamps
Top-end sounds a little harsh.
Mid-range is ok; more body be nice perhaps.
Bass-notes are a tad boomy; looking for tighter kicks.

After almost 3 hours of going through this thread:
Gonna try the 2x LME49720 on the I/V section; general consensus here that these are good upgrades.

Need thoughts on the Buffer section.
OPA2107 - used in Little Dot 1+ previously; good but most costly after the OPA627
OPA2134 - never used.
LM6172 - never used.

The OPA627 is off the list, too costly. Prefer not to open up my PC case too many times if I can help it.
Appreciate if anyone has used the above config to chip in. I tend to thread on the darker side of things.
Quick equipment list below if it helps.

Headphones:
SONY MDR-7506 (vinyl-rips)
PHILIPS SHP-9500 (general listening)

Pre-amp: NAD C162
Power-amp: ARCAM Delta 290P
CD-Player: NAD C542
Tuner: NAD C422
Speakers: VIFA 'PL' drivers; custom 2-way bookshelf/floorstanders, 3-way floorstanders

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #4,978 of 5,721
  Just picked up the Essence STX.
Listening with Sony MDR-7506: Stock Opamps
Top-end sounds a little harsh.
Mid-range is ok; more body be nice perhaps.
Bass-notes are a tad boomy; looking for tighter kicks.
After almost 3 hours of going through this thread:
Gonna try the 2x LME49720 on the I/V section; general consensus here that these are good upgrades.
Need thoughts on the Buffer section.
OPA2107 - used in Little Dot 1+ previously; good but most costly after the OPA627
OPA2134 - never used.
LM6172 - never used.

The OPA627 is off the list, too costly. Prefer not to open up my PC case too many times if I can help it.
Appreciate if anyone has used the above config to chip in. I tend to thread on the darker side of things.
Quick equipment list below if it helps.

The stock LM4542 op-amp in the buffer is a relabeled LME49720 (just is case you did not know).

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #4,979 of 5,721
After reading >200 pages on the Essence One thread and and more pages on the AOP one, i mixed that with what i have already tested. The AOP that are a must-try : 
- LME49720HA or LME49710HA x2, not NA nor MA, metal can TO-99 version
- AD797BR (Tricky to use)
- LT1363CS8 
- Muses01 & 02

Haven't tested them all but it is planned.
LME49720HA sound very good and detailled, with a superb sound stage, but become fatiguing on long listening.
THe first time i listenned to AD797AR i was " Wow ", but i don't know why exactly. Can't wait to test the higher grade "BR".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back