The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Oct 21, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #4,936 of 5,721
Thanks PurpleAngel 

Now i know all 3 need to be changed. I'm considering muses01 and 02 but
I have no idea what op-amp would give me a warmer feel and that's why i dropped a question on here =)
Noticed that a lot of people here have tested many kinds of op-amps so thought that maybe someone will turn up with a tip.

Oct 21, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #4,937 of 5,721
  Thanks PurpleAngel 

Now i know all 3 need to be changed. I'm considering muses01 and 02 but
I have no idea what op-amp would give me a warmer feel and that's why i dropped a question on here =)
Noticed that a lot of people here have tested many kinds of op-amps so thought that maybe someone will turn up with a tip.

Might also try asking here.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/432749/the-opamp-thread

I went for the AD797BRs for my STX, the LME49990 seems to have good feedback.
But I'm guessing these are not the op-amps your looking for.

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #4,938 of 5,721
Guys, I really need some help, I think I fried my xonar stx.

tl;dr plugged 4 pin into pci/cpu instead of sata

I was upgrading my power supply, and I guess I got tired and plugged in the 4-pin peripheral power cable into the power supply's CPU/PCIE output instead of sata/peripheral. Now, windows reports the card working, it clicks as it should, and the xonar control center even shows waveforms being generated. However, there is no sound at all from the card. If I max out the gain/impedance, I get barely audible distorted sound, but other than that, it's quiet.

I plugged it into the yellow, I was supposed to plug it into the green
https://i.imgur.com/41bUTVj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KsS7ka3.jpg

Did I fry it? Can it be repaired?

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #4,939 of 5,721
  Guys, I really need some help, I think I fried my Xonar STX.
tl;dr plugged 4 pin into PCI/CPU instead of SATA
I was upgrading my power supply, and I guess I got tired and plugged in the 4-pin peripheral power cable into the power supply's CPU/PCI-E output instead of sata/peripheral. Now, windows reports the card working, it clicks as it should, and the Xonar control center even shows waveforms being generated. However, there is no sound at all from the card. If I max out the gain/impedance, I get barely audible distorted sound, but other than that, it's quiet.

I'm far from an expert in this stuff, but I do not think what you did automatically fried the STX (but then again you just might have fried the headphone amplifier).

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, when you installed the STX.
(Just in case that an active on-board audio is causing issues with the STX).

Oct 22, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #4,941 of 5,721
No, 

I'm far from an expert in this stuff, but I do not think what you did automatically fried the STX (but then again you just might have fried the headphone amplifier).

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, when you installed the STX.
(Just in case that an active on-board audio is causing issues with the STX).

No, I did not disable the onboard audio. I have been using both simultaneously for two years without an issue. I can try disabling onboard, but i doubt it will be of much help, since it's supposed to be working either way. 

Does this look like a burnt amp?

http://imgur.com/pqk1Y89

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #4,942 of 5,721
  No, 
No, I did not disable the on-board audio. I have been using both simultaneously for two years without an issue. I can try disabling on-board, but i doubt it will be of much help, since it's supposed to be working either way. 
Does this look like a burnt amp?
http://imgur.com/pqk1Y89

The op-amp (operational amplifier) might be burned out, luckily you can get some LME49720NA DIP-8 replacement op-amps for around $3-$4 each.
People seem to like the LME49720NA op-amps a little better then the two JRC2114 stock op-amps, that come installed in the two I/V (DIP-8) slots.
The third LM4652 op-amps, used in the buffer (DIP-8) slot, is a relabeled LME49720NA.
Maybe order 3 op-amps to replace all the STX's stock op-amps, just to be safe.

If replacing the op-amps (and maybe disabling on-board), does not help, then you might be looking at replacing the Essence STX with another STX or something else.

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #4,943 of 5,721

The op-amp (operational amplifier) might be burned out, luckily you can get some LME49720NA DIP-8 replacement op-amps for around $3-$4 each.
People seem to like the LME49720NA op-amps a little better then the two JRC2114 stock op-amps, that come installed in the two I/V (DIP-8) slots.
The third LM4652 op-amps, used in the buffer (DIP-8) slot, is a relabeled LME49720NA.
Maybe order 3 op-amps to replace all the STX's stock op-amps, just to be safe.

If replacing the op-amps (and maybe disabling on-board), does not help, then you might be looking at replacing the Essence STX with another STX or something else.

Thank you for your response. Do you have any idea as to what might have happened to the card itself? It has no signs of damage, and worked absolutely great before. Lastly, could all three amps be burned out, since I don't hear any sound from the headphone or the RCA ports? The heaphones/speakers also click when switching inputs, something that didn't happen before.

Edit: Are these the right amps?

LM4562 (1x buffer)

LME49720NA (2x IV)

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #4,944 of 5,721
  Thank you for your response. Do you have any idea as to what might have happened to the card itself? It has no signs of damage, and worked absolutely great before. Lastly, could all three amps be burned out, since I don't hear any sound from the headphone or the RCA ports? The headphones/speakers also click when switching inputs, something that didn't happen before.

Edit: Are these the right amps?

LM4562 (1x buffer)

LME49720NA (2x IV)

Replacing the op-amps is about the only thing you can do to try to get the card working.
Otherwise throwing the card away and buying something else is your only other current option I can think of.

Those are the correct op-amps and both op-maps are listed with the same specs.
Just buy three LME49720NA.

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #4,945 of 5,721
  Guys, I really need some help, I think I fried my xonar stx.

tl;dr plugged 4 pin into pci/cpu instead of sata

I was upgrading my power supply, and I guess I got tired and plugged in the 4-pin peripheral power cable into the power supply's CPU/PCIE output instead of sata/peripheral. Now, windows reports the card working, it clicks as it should, and the xonar control center even shows waveforms being generated. However, there is no sound at all from the card. If I max out the gain/impedance, I get barely audible distorted sound, but other than that, it's quiet.

You're card is dead most likely.

The STX draws both 12v and 5v from the molex connector. You connected your molex connector to a header for PCI-E video cards, they ONLY output 12v.

So your STX likely received 12v through sections designed for 5v. Over twice the designed voltage. It is likely dead. Parts do not have to show physical signs of damage to be destroyed.

Next time, do not get fully modular power supplies, the fully modular system has no advantages. Also, don't buy cheap power supplies from what is probably an off-brand power supply. They have dirty power, tend to fail more often, and, which has turned out to be a costly lesson for you, they don't change their pin shapes for different connectors. Better brands change their connectors so that it is physically impossible for you to insert them into the wrong one.

Sorry to hear man.

Oct 25, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #4,946 of 5,721
 Also, don't buy cheap power supplies from what is probably an off-brand power supply. They have dirty power, tend to fail more often, and, which has turned out to be a costly lesson for you, they don't change their pin shapes for different connectors.

This doesn't apply here. I bought a Corsair AX unit.
  Better brands change their connectors so that it is physically impossible for you to insert them into the wrong one.

No, they don't. Corsair didn't.

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #4,947 of 5,721
Well, can't say I've run into this problem with any of the modular power supplies I've owned. Though I stick to the Antec TruePower units, and they physically change the connectors, so that even if one is 2x3, or 2x4 pinouts, they physically can not be inserted into the connectors they are not meant for. It is a basic little thing I suppose, but it prevents mistakes. In this case a 200$ mistake.

Oct 27, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #4,948 of 5,721

Next time, do not get fully modular power supplies, the fully modular system has no advantages. 

Coming from a semi-modular PSU to a fully modular one, I noticed there are actually many advantages, enough to convince me never to buy anything other than fully modular again. 

- No unnecessary cables need to be stuffed anywhere
- If one of the cables becomes faulty, you only have to replace the faulty cable, not the entire PSU
- If the PSU itself dies, you don't have to disassemble or re-cable the whole computer, just unhook cables and drop in a new PSU. 

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #4,949 of 5,721
I've been building computers for over a decade and have never encountered any of those problems.

An ATX cable and ATX 12v cable are always required. So full modular has no advantage over semi modular here.

A cable should never become faulty. They are physical equipment, they do not fail unless they arrive faulty, or are abused. So no advantage for full modular here.

Your last point would be the only case where a full modular would be of any advantage. Though if having to reroute an ATX and ATX12 cable is an issue that takes more then 60 seconds. Then something isn't right with the person.

All of those things are very rare occurrences, and do not prove any real advantage.

Though full modular has several disadvantages.

An ATX and ATX12v cable are always required, so having them modular is unnecessary complexity. And adds another point of failure.

Modular connectors increase resistance on high amp connections like the ATX12v and PCI-E. This can cause voltage drop, as well as provide a weak point for failure. In fact, there is reports of the same Corsair AX line the OP mentioned having their connectors melt and fuse together at the psu/source end. The actual metal got hot enough from resistance to fuse metal, high amp connections are best left soldered to the pcb inside the psu.

Modular connectors can increase resistance and mess with vsense regulating power supplies.

And then there is the problem the OP came across, that fully modular without connectors that vary their pins so that they can't be inserted into the wrong port and fry expensive hardware.

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #4,950 of 5,721
hey guys, I was wondering if the rca output still worked if you set analog output to headphone in the driver control panel? So that you could get the headphone specific effects with a different headphone amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back