The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Oct 12, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #4,921 of 5,721
I recently put the stock op amps back into the IV position and put a 49860 (the descendant of the stock 4562) in the buffer. I have come to the conclusion that it sounds best this way. The 49860s in IV position creates an extremely bright sound, far brighter than neutral I think. The STX, with 49860 op amps, has always been the odd man out in all my gear - the bright source. I have a Denon AVR that has an accurate DAC and headphone out, and after putting the stock op amps back in the STX both sources now sound very similar. If the measurements that were included for each of our cards were done with JRC2114s, and the circuit itself designed for those op amps, then by changing the op amps I think those measurements are no longer valid. Once the op amps are switched, there is no telling how our card is behaving without testing. I don't have proper testing equipment, but I would be willing to bet the 49860s create a higher distortion level in the higher frequencies than the stock op amps, despite the fact that the TI opamps themselves have better specs. Implementation in the circuit is everything, and despite having lower THD+N, perhaps the TIs have different voltage characteristics that don't mesh with the STX's design. 

These impressions were gathered on both a DT880/600 and HD600, so I don't think one op amp favors a warm headphone or the other a cold one. With the TI op amps in the IV spots, the Beyers displayed an almost bullet-like quality to the high frequencies and the HD600's treble sounded grainy. After playing with EQ, I found the bullet-like highs on the DT880s and graininess on the HD600 was a symptom of increased activity in the 4khz-8khz region, which the TI49860s seem to emphasize. The stock op amps gave both headphones a more balanced response, and made them sound more similiar to my other sources. I truly believe the JRCs are closer to neutral as implemented within this specific circuit design.

I had ordered 49990s and adapters, and was planning to try that next. But after reading about heat and stability issues, I am coming round to the idea of leaving the card alone. Just my two cents.    

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #4,922 of 5,721
Hİ guys

Sorry I am sorry to disturb you, but
if anybody out there still using stock drivers, delete them and go for the Unified drivers. 

I was using official drivers until now but today I give the unified drivers a try and with the first song in the spotify(through fidelify) I must say that sound difference is just like day and night IMHO

I installed Cmedia panel installation, the difference was like modding the precision clock of the card. Because I get this much improvement before, with my Audio-GD master clock upgrade on this card.

again; if you have a good headphones(like hd 600) or stereo system, you will notice the difference just like me, dynamics, details, bass definition... everything is perfect now

Oct 17, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #4,924 of 5,721
  do you mean those? http://maxedtech.com/
do they really improve the sound quality or just fix some bugs?

yes I mean those, they really improved the quality. I am using DIY tube preamp with bang olufsen power amp and ELAC 108.2 stereo speakers, and sennheiser hd600 as phones. I can definetely tell you these drivers improved the sound quality through my system. I think low DPC latency of this driver has caused this improvement.  bass texture and musical dynamics are far better than old official asus driver.

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #4,927 of 5,721
  which one is recommended btw, normal, low or cmedia?

I cant speak for the other drivers but Im using the 1822 1.72 drivers with my ST which gives me a nice low DPC latency, great sound quality and no issues found as yet with Win7 64bit, Asus z77 v-pro, I5 2500k and 128GB SSD.

Unrelated issue-A dodgy ASmedia USB3 driver initially give me big issues with DPC latency but once I rolled back that driver everything was perfect.

I haven't had to uninstall them but if you have any problems uninstalling them use CCleaner or similar to remove the drivers and you shouldn't have any issues.

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #4,929 of 5,721
Hi there,

I currently have a Asus Essence STXII sound card upgraded with 3x (genuine) MUSES01. Have to say it does sound really good but I am wondering how much better would the Asus Essence One Muses edition be compared to my STXII with muses01?

I was thinking if I ever did go for Asus Essence One Muses edition I can put my Muses01 in the Essence one plus that would mean I only need 2 more to max it out. 

I'd love to know!

:)

Oct 19, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #4,930 of 5,721
  I currently have a Asus Essence STXII sound card upgraded with 3x (genuine) MUSES01. Have to say it does sound really good but I am wondering how much better would the Asus Essence One Muses edition be compared to my STXII with muses01?
I was thinking if I ever did go for Asus Essence One Muses edition I can put my Muses01 in the Essence one plus that would mean I only need 2 more to max it out. 
I'd love to know!

For an external, you might be better off getting a Audio-GD NFB-15 or NFB-11.

Oct 19, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #4,932 of 5,721
  Why would I be better to get them over the Asus Essence One Muses edition?
Is it simply on price?

Yep, price.
My best guess(?) is the Audio-GD would offer compatible audio quality to the Essence One, but for less money.

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #4,933 of 5,721
  Hi there,

I'd love to know!

Thanks for the advance report on the 3x (6x?) MUSES01, which I'll further research - might make a better installation than the 12x NSC/TI LME49990MA contingency, which requires adapter boards to fit the JEDEC 8-pin DIP sockets on my own STX.

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #4,934 of 5,721
Hello everyone , first post here

Been reading this thread for the past 2 weeks but still cant find an answer to my question 

Using my STX with external amps via RCA (NAD C372 + C272) Bi-amp'd to external speakers
also connected to Pioneer S-DJ05 from same RCA outputs =)
and now i want to play around with the op-amps for the RCA output, don't care much about headphones =P

as i understood that its 3 op-amps / 2 for headphones / one for RCA

Now my Q is : in order to get results for the RCA output do i need to to change only the buffer output op-amp or all 3 need to be changed ? and any tips for op-amps?
did anyone try muses02 ?

Again i don't want to effect how the headphones sound , its only RCA whats really matters to me.

Now if its only the buffer op-amp that can be changed then i can get 1 och each recommended models and test them out,
I personally think that the stock op-amp is too bright for my taste , I'm looking for a deep dark warm tuby feel in sound or something similar to old school NAD sound, if someone heard hifi amps from the 80s will know what i mean =) 

Thanks in advance 
Greetings from Sweden.

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #4,935 of 5,721
  Been reading this thread for the past 2 weeks but still cant find an answer to my question 
Using my STX with external amps via RCA (NAD C372 + C272) Bi-amp'd to external speakers
also connected to Pioneer S-DJ05 from same RCA outputs =)
and now i want to play around with the op-amps for the RCA output, don't care much about headphones =P
as i understood that its 3 op-amps / 2 for headphones / one for RCA
Now my Q is : in order to get results for the RCA output do i need to to change only the buffer output op-amp or all 3 need to be changed ? and any tips for op-amps?
did anyone try muses02 ?
Again i don't want to effect how the headphones sound , its only RCA whats really matters to me.
Now if its only the buffer op-amp that can be changed then i can get 1 och each recommended models and test them out,
I personally think that the stock op-amp is too bright for my taste , I'm looking for a deep dark warm tuby feel in sound or something similar to old school NAD sound, if someone heard hifi amps from the 80s will know what i mean =) 
Thanks in advance 
Greetings from Sweden.

With the Essence STX, the two I/V slotted op-amps are used for the headphone output, the line-output (RCA) uses all three op-amps.
The LM4652 buffer op-amp is a relabeled LME49720.

Which op-amps will give the deep dark warm tubby feel? I have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back