The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Aug 14, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #4,891 of 5,721
Is there a method to limit the maximum volume? I rarely go over 10% with the windows volume setting and would like forcibly limit the output capability just in case software glitches happen and sets the system volume to a deafening 100%.

It has already happened twice while using MPC. NOT fun.

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #4,892 of 5,721
Is there a method to limit the maximum volume? I rarely go over 10% with the windows volume setting and would like forcibly limit the output capability just in case software glitches happen and sets the system volume to a deafening 100%.

It has already happened twice while using MPC. NOT fun.

I have had this happen as well, but I'm pretty sure it was because I configured my audio renderer in a peculiar way. Actually, can you tell me more about what happened in your case, I think it might have been the same deal.

As for volume limiting, idk, use headphones that require a lot of power to get loud?

Aug 14, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #4,893 of 5,721
I have had this happen as well, but I'm pretty sure it was because I configured my audio renderer in a peculiar way. Actually, can you tell me more about what happened in your case, I think it might have been the same deal.

As for volume limiting, idk, use headphones that require a lot of power to get loud?

Can't really recall, but it definitely had something to do with audio renderers screwing up. The first time was maximum volume and the second time was a loud tone at maximum volume. Luckily both times I was only wearing disposable Walmart iems and not my expensive ones.

Aug 14, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #4,894 of 5,721
Can't really recall, but it definitely had something to do with audio renderers screwing up. The first time was maximum volume and the second time was a loud tone at maximum volume. Luckily both times I was only wearing disposable Walmart iems and not my expensive ones.

what audio renderer were you using? default directsound? or something else like reclock.

Aug 14, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #4,895 of 5,721
what audio renderer were you using? default directsound? or something else like reclock.

Reclock was probably what caused the loud tone at 100%. I think I opened a video while listening to foobar and then it happened. Tried to replicate it but couldn't.

Now that I think about it also happens in games sometimes too, but very rarely. Been using the uni drivers the entire time.

Aug 14, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #4,896 of 5,721
Reclock was probably what caused the loud tone at 100%. I think I opened a video while listening to foobar and then it happened. Tried to replicate it but couldn't.

Now that I think about it also happens in games sometimes too, but very rarely. Been using the uni drivers the entire time.

I've had this issue when i set up reclock to be bitperfect. I think that was the problem, since it isn't intended to be used like that. When I use reclock's regular settings with wasapi, it never happens.

edit - so i think i know why this happens, it's caused by the buffer in the renderer being too low. I'm able to recreate it frequently under those situations. 

Aug 27, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #4,897 of 5,721
I just Purchased STX card and going to upgrade the omp amp to LME49990 which i purchased from here
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-of-LME49990MAs-converted-to-1-dual-op-amp-DIP8-for-Xonar-Essence-HUD-MX1-STX-/281404248667?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Parts_Accessories&hash=item418500125b. and i would like to ask is there any correct way to change the omp amp since i have to import it because cannot find it in my country i dont want to ruin it by installing the wrong way. btw this is my first time changing omp amp 

Thanks
Surya Halim

Aug 27, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #4,898 of 5,721
Your replacements have the PIN numbers printed on top, this is your savior. Look up the specs of the opamp your replacing and you will see the position of its pins in relation to the orientation of the opamp. Your original will have the generic scoop out of one end.

Hope that helps.

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #4,899 of 5,721
  I just Purchased STX card and going to upgrade the op-amp to LME49990 which i purchased from here
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-of-LME49990MAs-converted-to-1-dual-op-amp-DIP8-for-Xonar-Essence-HUD-MX1-STX-/281404248667?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Parts_Accessories&hash=item418500125b. and i would like to ask is there any correct way to change the op-amp since i have to import it because cannot find it in my country i don't want to ruin it by installing the wrong way. btw this is my first time changing op-amp 

Thanks
Surya Halim

Did you buy 2 (4 chips) or 3 (6 chips) of these LME49990 pre-soldered op-amps?

On the Essence STX there is a white line around the op-amp socket, on one end there is a "V" notch.
And on the soldered op-amps, there is a while rectangular outline on top of the adapter, with a "U" shaped notch (looks more like a cut in half O).
You want to V and the U to be next to each other, when you install the newer op-amps

Unless you have an op-amp extraction device, I'm assuming you will be using something like a really tiny flat head screwdriver to remove the stock op-amp.
Guess you want to use the screwdriver on each end of the stock op-amp (switching several times) to slowly prop it out of the socket.
You might want to make sure the stock op-amps are not damaged, otherwise if the newer LME49990 op-amps being shipped to you do not work, you would want to be able to reinstall the stock op-amps.

Sep 3, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #4,900 of 5,721
I am searching for an STX upgrade, but i am not sure what i should get...

I have a AKG 702 and i love the great soundstage and i also wanna an op amp what gives me a better soundstage and maybe a little bit more punchie bass.

I heared the muses 01 or 02 have a good soundstage but what would better for my taste?

I also heared good things in this thread about the LME49990, can anyone describe me the differences between muses01/02 and LME49990?

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #4,901 of 5,721
Sorry for this noobish question, but I am a newbie to this place. Im an owner of Xonar Essence ST. Should I replace the stock opamps for some better ones, does the change affect also the headphone output, or is this feature related only to speaker output? Thanks!

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #4,902 of 5,721
Just upgraded my cpu, and ordered a motherboard without any PCI-E 1x slots...doh! 
redface.gif
 So I'm gonna try sticking the Xonar in my 2nd PCI-E 16x slot and see if it works! 
basshead.gif
 Onboard sound ain't bad, but the STX is nicer :)

EDIT: Looks like it worked! :D

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #4,903 of 5,721
Hi all.

I need some guidance.  I have some HD650's and would like to try a couple of inexpensive opamps so I am looking at the LME49720's.  I can pick them for up for £3.70 each.  So If all I use the card for is Headphone use do I only need two of these in the I/V stage?  What about the buffer stage?  Does the buffer opamp have any bearing on the I/V stage at all?  Should I pick up an extra LME49720 for that too or just save my money?

Thanks.

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #4,904 of 5,721
Wondering if anyone has run into this strange issue I am having with my STX (using unified drivers). I recently purchased a Valhalla 2 and have been running STX > Valhalla 2 > HD 800s. Everything was going great for a few weeks but now I am starting to notice some strange noise issues just at my normal listening volume. There can be sort of a low electronic hum/squeal in the background and it changes depending on how I move my mouse or what programs I load. This is not the tubes since that is a different type of noise I only hear when cranking the volume knob past realistic and safe listening levels. Different programs or games will have a different hum. Nothing has changed temperature-wise in my case but I am wondering if maybe an issue developed with the amp chips for the line out, since I never used them until I purchased an external amplifier. I plan on trouble-shooting all the different listening steps but wanted a place to focus on if anyone has an idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back