The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jul 6, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #361 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
robbie - six and now chat rose? jeez, I'd love to hear what my version is :p

Considering the source is some troll kid, I don't think anybody cares.
atsmile.gif

So, are you considering moving to the ST or staying with the STX?

Jul 6, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #362 of 5,721
so -for those in the know- everyone prefers the HA over the NA?

the sound is really thin on the NA...I guess I'll need some fresh ears tomorrow morning to make a valid judgment
rolleyes.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #363 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so -for those in the know- everyone prefers the HA over the NA?

the sound is really thin on the NA...I guess I'll need some fresh ears tomorrow morning to make a valid judgment
rolleyes.gif

Those in the know?
Like you? -LOL!!
Have your HA's bent pinned in the socket, overheating and probably oscillating. Wow yes, you are in the know!
How many opamps have you tested now?
Didn't you just post the HA's have overwhelming bass etc?
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
will run more tests, but the bass is normal...not overwhelming like w/ the HA
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #364 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering the source is some troll kid, I don't think anybody cares.
atsmile.gif

So, are you considering moving to the ST or staying with the STX?

Considering the move to the ST

Jul 6, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #365 of 5,721
Quote:

Considering the move to the ST

Ah yes, we spoke on this already.
Still just going with the stereo unit, No H6 Daughter card?

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #366 of 5,721
I just have no need for that yet. But I may in the future, which is another reason why I'd like the ST. But.. that future isn't here yet, so I figure as long as I have the option, if the time comes when I need it, then I'll get the H6

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #367 of 5,721
indeed, the 49720NA are sterile...the stock op-amps give a more saturated but more bassy sound, but the trebles are much less refined. you can't get it all I guess
rolleyes.gif

and I still rest my case that the stereo is more "muddy" on the STX.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #368 of 5,721
I've been looking at the internal Xonar mixer again.. I believe it should be left at the default 76% for L and R channel. There is a good deal of loss in the dynamic range and "punch" if it's set higher. If you push it up to 100% it looks like it's clipping, which you can verify by looking at the EQ visualizer above that.

Sorry to post on that again but I'm now confident it should be left at the default 76%.

Jul 7, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #369 of 5,721
Quote:

I just have no need for that yet. But I may in the future, which is another reason why I'd like the ST. But.. that future isn't here yet, so I figure as long as I have the option, if the time comes when I need it, then I'll get the H6

The H6 DAC expansion board will be available if you want to move to that option.

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #370 of 5,721
I don't know how you guys can do your Volume at 76 thing. I have to run my volume at no higher then 25 to be able to use my A5's past the 9 o'clock position where the volume pot starts matching better. If I ran it at 75%, I could keep my A5's at lowest level and still hear decent sound coming through.

Jul 7, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #371 of 5,721
When using powered speakers I use the Windows volume at about 25% too, I'm talking about the default 76% inside the Asus Audio Center Mixer panel.

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #372 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking at the internal Xonar mixer again.. I believe it should be left at the default 76% for L and R channel. There is a good deal of loss in the dynamic range and "punch" if it's set higher. If you push it up to 100% it looks like it's clipping, which you can verify by looking at the EQ visualizer above that.

Sorry to post on that again but I'm now confident it should be left at the default 76%.

I read it an a review somewhere that default 76% corresponds to Zero dB so yes, it should be left as such.

Back to opamps, I am really getting to like the sound of LT1358s. Its a shame not many have tried these wonderful opamps.

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #373 of 5,721
^how about highs compared to 49720NA. is it as smooth or harsher?

this op-ams hobby surely can get expensive. it looks innocent in the beginning given the price of the units, but once you start rolling them there is no end to it
smile.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #375 of 5,721
@Dex, the LME49720NA are the same opamp as the LM4562NA. Which many like but many others find them a bit sterile in the mid range or cold.
Opamp rolling is all about finding the best combination for you.

@Gurubhai, Linear tech has many great opamps. They are highly regarded by many for audio use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back