The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Nov 7, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #1,591 of 1,799
  ES700 has some of the best mids in the business. And from memory of my M50s I gave away a while ago,  the bass will be just as satisfactory on the ES700s. Excellent sounding cans.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that(I have the ES7's, but from what I hear, they're quite similar). They are very good for the price though. 

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #1,592 of 1,799
I wouldn't go as far as to say that(I have the ES7's, but from what I hear, they're quite similar). They are very good for the price though. 

maybe it is better that said among the portable cans, it is one of top in mids.
I had three es7 & the ws99 at one point.
I currently have the esw9, esw10 & esw11 so I have a good reference point.

the signature from memory, is somewhat similar, but also the difference is fairly it huge in terms of detail and clarity from the ES7 to the ES700(!)

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #1,593 of 1,799
Yea I'm wondering about the ws77 too. How does it compare to the es700? Is the es700 bass lacking at all...sayyy compared to the M50?

Thanks. I've read a lot of people saying they have less. Can anyone elaborate. Is the mid range really standing out or is it just really nice and detailed and still balanced withe mids and highs. I'm looking for a can that's still neutral for mixing and would like a comparison with the ws77 if anyone can. Thanks head-fi'ers

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #1,594 of 1,799
I have a pair of M50s I just got and plan on returning because I thought the mids were too recessed and they could be a bit harsh sometimes in the highs. I enjoyed the cushy bass but it kinda wandered into the mids jus a bit sometimes. I don't want to go down much in bass quantity but im really looking into the ES 700s after the reviews. I figure the better detail in bass would make up for it but I'm also looking at the WS 77 to pick back up on the bass.

I realize now I really want my mids, I feel the mids on either will be better enough than the M50's. The awesome WS 99's are out of my budget. Can anyone compare that ES 700s and the WS 77's? If I get the ES 700s I plan on getting the WS 55 earpads to regain some bass quantity and for comfort. Heard u can get em for $10 if u email AT directly. Also heard the es700 has a more neutral sig which is good, I plan on making music and it might be handy for monitoring.

Thanks for who replies.

I started with the M50 and was suprised at how recessed the mids were. I know I'm probably off topic here but you should give the V-Moda M100 a listen.

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #1,595 of 1,799
I recomend ws series over es700. Because es700 is exelent only in 25% of songs, realy good at 50% and terrible on 25%(with bright songs). WS77 and WS99 is exellent on 45% songs and realy good in 55%. So they are far better allrounders. About pricing.
Es700 costs $130 shipped from Japan. WS77 is only $90, but 99 is $160. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #1,596 of 1,799
Yea I'm wondering about the ws77 too. How does it compare to the es700? Is the es700 bass lacking at all...sayyy compared to the M50?

I would be surprised if anyone can answer questions about the ws77..it's just not that popular. Safe to say that both the ws and es is a significant upgrade vs the m50. Get both, keep only the one you like.

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #1,597 of 1,799
I started with the M50 and was suprised at how recessed the mids were. I know I'm probably off topic here but you should give the V-Moda M100 a listen.

Thanks. I've heard some say the es700 tops the M100 in stage, detail, and bass quality (not quantity). Maxx134 I think mentioned this and I don't like harsh highs. Not to mention the m100 is over my budget and I believe not a very neutral can. I'm really torn between the es700 and the ws77 because of quality and price. Thanks for the response, if anyone wants to add more details that's be great. Really appreciating how the fast the answers are coming.

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #1,598 of 1,799
Thanks. I've heard some say the es700 tops the M100 in stage, detail, and bass quality (not quantity). @Maxx134 I think mentioned this and I don't like harsh highs. Not to mention the m100 is over my budget and I believe not a very neutral can. I'm really torn between the es700 and the ws77 because of quality and price. Thanks for the response, if anyone wants to add more details that's be great. Really appreciating how the fast the answers are coming.

i think it's pretty simple really, if you prefer a sound siggy that has really sweet mids with good bass then the ES700s is the way to go. BUT if you love your bass end much more the WS series is the way to go without compromising on any of the sonic spectrum despite the bigger bass end.

It all boils down to the music genre you mostly listen to and your favorite sound signature tbh. The ES700s is no slouch with rap/ hip hop music that's for sure, but for bass heads it ain't really gonna cut it if you knowhatimeng.
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #1,599 of 1,799
The WS77 really went unnoticed here but is one great sounding can. It isn't as in your face as the WS99 and is smoother all around. Bass has less quantity than WS99, mids are less forward, treble is more laid back. It doesn't lack in any of what I mentioned but just blends it all together more evenly. I listened to it more than the WS99 and ES700's when I owned it. Not that any of them are better than one another but of the three, the WS77 is the one that's more evenly distributed in sound.

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #1,600 of 1,799
Hmm i guess the only thing stopping me from hopping on these es700's is rather or not they are neutral enough and decent bass. Thing is i enjoy some punch in the bass but most music i listen to now is indie (lots of instruments and warm melodies) mixed with some more modern beats every once in a while (bass). Ill be pumping quite a range through these things and im sure theyll be good enough. The M50's didnt seem to connect the sounds enough, wasnt smooth and seemed a bit mechanical. Everything was defined well though, just a bit too bright. Would the es700 be neutral suitable enough to monitor on, i doubt any of the ws series would be which is whats pushing me away from them. Then again im just a broke newbie college student looking for a good all-arounder hence the one stop can shop desperation. Headphone collection... In due time :triportsad:

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #1,601 of 1,799
I don't understan..you want bass yet then you want neutrality..
The es700 has plenty of accurate bass larger/deeper in tone than a m80.
I had the m50LE and it was nice and I would say in comparison, the es700 bass is slightly smaller but not really less.
The m50 had a slight resessed mids but a larger stage like the m100. I still have the m100 as they changed after 1000hrs to a very good balanced can!

I still have my es700 because of the amazing lively mids so I took the drivers and transplanted into a slightly larger can for a reference sound.(!)

The stock es700 has larger bass than a jvc500 but not in "amount of bass" although it can easily be pushed hard.

I found the ws99 just a very little too dark or chocolaty for my tastes, although I loved them anyhow and even more so than the es10(!)
They had (ws99) an amazing ability to sound very lean and detailed until the bass hit!..
Then it was as if the floor dropped from under you(!) as it could scare you with the "realism" of it's bass..
But sadly the bass wasnt there as much as it could have been, and so you had to push it to impress you.
So you needed an amp to really shine.

The es10 didn't have this issue as it's bass was always showing off!
Just that the ws99 mids were more natural than the es10.

So now back to the es700.
They have the mids that the es10 should have had. They sound alot like a baby es10.
I only say baby because the es10 has maybe too prominent bass, and a slightly larger stage.

I say don't let anyone fool you about the es700 as they are my fav because of the lively sound and it is never harsh in treble.
The issue is the mids in general are slightly brighter and so much livelier so I would say 90% of music sounds amazing & 10% of bright music sounds magnified but still not bad.

I don't see any headphone in $150 price rance that can touch the es700 as it is a highly musical and detailed can that made onlyJapan and its sound beats out most other I have owned including the famous m80; dt1350; amperiors; esw9; es7; etc. Alot others and prob every other "on ear" can.(!).. Except for the es10;esw11, of course!!

The m100, m50 and other "over ear" cans have a larger soundstage so they have that advantage.
There you go thats what my ears tell me, of course your ears will differ :p

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #1,604 of 1,799
Hi, guys. I'm looking for a pair of over ear headphones to use on the go. Currently it's betweenthe ws99 and mdr 1r mk2, what do you guys recommend?

What type of sound you want? ws99 is very bassy, but still realy clear. Sonys are midcentric.

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #1,605 of 1,799
Sooo how does the WS99 compared to the A900X? Note I'm not looking for a neutral can since I have the Q701's for that.

I replaced the pads on the a900x to reveal more sub bass and add isolation. However will a WS99 be an upgrade from my a900x?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back