The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Jan 13, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #1,787 of 1,799
I wanted to create an account here just so I could let people know I'm going to be receiving a pair of ATH-WS770 Solid Bass headphones. I'm going to compare them to my WS99's that I currently own and I love my WS99. I use them in this current setup, iPhone 6 Plus -> Camera Connection Kit -> Fiio E17K -> WS99. I crank up the bass and treble EQ on the E17K and these headphones become amazing. I listen to a lot of metal music (A Day to Remember, Of Mice and Men, The Word Alive, Trivium) and the energy that I hear with drums and bass drops during breakdowns is awesome, the bass can really thump on these but it's very fast and accurate bass, yet even with all the bass everything else is so clear and crisp. I will say that I don't like using them without an amp/dac because they just don't sound as good, the WS99 really have a lot of potential when amped and EQ'ed a bit. So when I receive the WS770 I'm interested in how they compare to my WS99 because the specs are similar except the WS770 has slightly higher frequency range, different driver design, and they look more comfy (and stylish). When I wear the WS99 for more than an hour it starts to hurt my ears just a little bit, nothing crazy but just a little. Look forward to my comparison everyone, btw I'm getting the red and black version.

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #1,788 of 1,799
I wanted to create an account here just so I could let people know I'm going to be receiving a pair of ATH-WS770 Solid Bass headphones. I'm going to compare them to my WS99's that I currently own and I love my WS99. I use them in this current setup, iPhone 6 Plus -> Camera Connection Kit -> Fiio E17K -> WS99. I crank up the bass and treble EQ on the E17K and these headphones become amazing. I listen to a lot of metal music (A Day to Remember, Of Mice and Men, The Word Alive, Trivium) and the energy that I hear with drums and bass drops during breakdowns is awesome, the bass can really thump on these but it's very fast and accurate bass, yet even with all the bass everything else is so clear and crisp. I will say that I don't like using them without an amp/dac because they just don't sound as good, the WS99 really have a lot of potential when amped and EQ'ed a bit. So when I receive the WS770 I'm interested in how they compare to my WS99 because the specs are similar except the WS770 has slightly higher frequency range, different driver design, and they look more comfy (and stylish). When I wear the WS99 for more than an hour it starts to hurt my ears just a little bit, nothing crazy but just a little. Look forward to my comparison everyone, btw I'm getting the red and black version.

Excited to hear your impressions! I have the WS77 and if the ws770 is a winner I might just have to upgrade.

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #1,789 of 1,799
Jan 17, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #1,791 of 1,799
  I just wanted you guy know that I may have found the perfect alternative Earpads for these: http://www.head-fi.org/t/745267/ath-ws99-replacement-pads#post_12243327
My preference goes to the angled version, they preserve (and improve) the sound the most.

After seeing your post I switched my WS99s to the velour HM5 pads, which I had lying around as they guy I bought my JVC SZ2000s had included them, and I had since switched to pleather HM5s for the JVCs. I only took a short listen (was in the middle of a bassy listening sesh with the SZs, couldn't interrupt that for too long) but the WS99s were much comfier and seemed to sound at least as good, if not better than their stock pads. I'll know more next time I want to go out in public and don't feel like being huge headphone guy with the JVCs. Thanks for doing all of that research!

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #1,792 of 1,799
I take back what I said about the 770 being better than the 99. Yes the 770 is more comfy but the 99 has more powerful bass, 770 can't match it. Even bass boosting on the 770 just made it sound muddy while the 99 is thumping away! I'll be returning the 770 and get some comfy pads for the 99.

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #1,795 of 1,799
I have the ws-99 and I have to say they sound amazing and have the right amount of bass for my taste, or not..

Im pretty new to this whole audiophile thingy. I'm using my first ever audio portable audio player DX90 (I get them last week) and they are doing fine with my ws-99, and my first ever portable amp is in away (fiio 17).

They will produce the right amount of bass and clarity with an amp right? I also have es-10 and they are not so impressive with DX90 since the low ends are in weak compared to ws-99, so I hope this amp will fix this issue for me, but right now ws-99 are amazing.

also I heard that ws-1100 are out. Are they any good? How comparable they are to ws-99?

Nov 4, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #1,796 of 1,799
Guys, guys... fiio e17 2k (or any portable amp) + android neutron virtual audio music player app (works with smart phones only) + ws99 greatest combo ever

You literally can have plenty of bass with this combo. Literally basshead tier, without any distortions

This virtual music player has the best EQ ever, you can adjust and balance the sound amazingly

I will elaborate:

You can make your own equalization sound frequencies, then you set them as your main equalizer adjusts.

Now... the most amazing part about this virtual music player. You literally can adjust some kind of a frequence low, for example like 20k or 10k frequencies, to boost the bass frequence just to get rid of the distortions and click noises just to get the best bass respond and then use the amp for boosting the treble for the sound quality! it's some kind of a unique thing! (Kinda sounds like your average bassphone though but better)

Just discovered this thing and I enjoy the bass now and the sound aswell! and when i don't want the bass, I just resting everything, and the quality is the same as before. Even though i prefer the natural ws99 sound, but the massive bass really changed my experience with certain music genres. 

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #1,798 of 1,799
Quote:

I thought I needed that CNT goodness too..then I realized JVC was never going to release a proper Circumaural CNT.

I'm glad I didn't wait. These have everything I loved about the s500's, but they take that sound to the next level. Add a super wide soundstage, more separation, and some of the most holographic mids I've ever heard to the earwax blowing sub-bass and sparkly mids of the s500s, and you have the WS99.

Don't wait.

Resistance IS futile.
So you might say if someone doesn't care for a wide soundstage but forward holographic mids, rolled off but sparkly, energetic treble these are the best 'phones? (S500)

Aug 3, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #1,799 of 1,799
Quote:

My face when reading Dannybai's posts

And it's not mainly because the comparisons against other great concidered headphones but all the things it's described as is exactly those important things and goes on top of my "preferences-list". With Q40, I've ideally always wanted sliiiightly more lush/forward lower midrange especially, these seems to be particularly good with the lower-midrange. For me it's imporant with:

- TEXTURED & punchy bass (not too sloppy/soft subbass focused bass or boomy midbass focus which overshadows mids)
- I need a rather well balanced bass response sub vs midbass wise, preferably centered around 80Hz which I concider roughly where the barrier goes
- Good vocal performance, clear, forward, especially the lower mids should have a pretty good presence
- Not too dark highs but preferably not more prominent than the midrange; I don't want sparkle that doesn't exist in real life

^ these are maybe top priorities for me
Hey man, i used to have a q40 years ago and since they don't make them anymore i would like to get something like that and you would know best, especially the last two points, i care for my bass to be tactile and natural even if it bleeds, i highly value your judgement because it seems we have identical sound preferences, feel free to list all and any types even iem and i might just get that since i imagine a smaller driver in the ear and even from my experience is more precise:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back