The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Apr 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #586 of 1,799
Quote:
Ok to clarify:
The ws99 bass is realistic, dynamic, and proportionate.
That means balanced.
Whole soundstage is immense and large in pperception, not just loudness.
A trait open cans have.
Side note:
Today is the first day on my burning progress that I realized that es700 trait came out..
I was fooled multiple times today into thinking I was hearing sounds outside the headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sub bass comes out more realistically when its actually there, & not artificially exaggerated like most other cans are guilty of.

The s500 does have sub bass in spades but without pad mod the sound is slightly muddied and congested in stock form, compared to the ws99.

I do believe the mods would help greatly but overall we are talking a whole higher level of sonic quality can, in the league of es10 and so it is just unfair to compare. .

My s500 are brand new, and very Impressive bass and detail out the box,
But that was the main thing they had going, in stock unburned form.
I have bigger fish to fry so I put them away.

On that note I need to setup a burning station again.
I was burning my es10 and..
I killed my old PPC phone using it as a all in one player and amp. lol I should have amped it.

Edit:
I use a Galaxy Note 2 on the go and have the O2 amp and HUF-mx2 connected to laptop at home..

Has anyone had M-Audio Q-40's and compared these to them?  That's kind of my gold standard basshead phone.  

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #587 of 1,799
Ok to clarify:

The ws99 bass is realistic, dynamic, and proportionate.

That means balanced.

Whole soundstage is immense and large in pperception, not just loudness.

A trait open cans have.

Side note:

Today is the first day on my burning progress that I realized that es700 trait came out..

I was fooled multiple times today into thinking I was hearing sounds outside the headphones. :)

Sub bass comes out more realistically when its actually there,

Has anyone had M-Audio Q-40's and compared these to them?  That's kind of my gold standard basshead phone.  

Yes.

They don't compare in the bass quantity department but blow them away in every other aspect. Quality control and balance are way in the favor of the WS99's. And don't get me started on the comfort of the Q-40's. Felt like they were trying to meet in the middle when I put them on. Had them over my book-shelf speakers for two days straight and nothing. I swear they were determined to kill me so back they went. Had to get them before they got me lol. Other than that they were awesome lol

Thanks,

:evil:

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #588 of 1,799
@DemonFox..
I just used that track you posted.
It is sick! Yet perfect so I Just A/B the jvc s500 with the es700 with it..

I wasn't accurate in my statement about a perception of a muddied Sound in the jvc s500. There is none of that..
It is actually an increase in the s500 lower mids to upper bass.
The jvc has more while the es700 has less.
Surprisingly though, they have very similar volume of bass output!.
ES700 deeper but less bold.
The jvc more pronounced and flappy like an m100. Yes I said m100.
Still I would say the more I A/B , the more I think you would have preferred the acentuated nuanced sub bass of the es700 if you desire a brighter can than your s500 wich have mid bass elevation and thus darker mids. The es700 are just 2 notches in DB below an es10.
That is to say an es10 would sound twice as large as es700 and since you like the bass increase, your ideal preferences would be either an es10, OR a vmoda m100..!!..
Remember I stated before that the es10 is flashy and impressive.
SO in comparison I would say the ws99 sounds more mature..
I really cannot state anything more about them without giving proper burn so some impressions can and will change in a week once completed over 100hours...

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #589 of 1,799
 [/QUOTE]

That was just stupid. And I loved it. Here's another cool Breath mix by the Glitch Mob which the WS99's seem to like a lot :smile:
[/quote]

i know right and you are correct, that track was perfect for the 99's. My 650's were not fans lol but the 99's linear bass was perfect for that song.

ok ok ok, here's one more. :53 and 1:57 things get a little silly but still chill. Love it!! Its a long song but worth it if you have the time to sit through it.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Thanks,

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #590 of 1,799
You need to order the ws55 pads on those s500 as I posted over at the s500 thread :)

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #592 of 1,799
Quote:
@DemonFox..

I wasn't accurate in my statement about a perception of a muddied Sound in the jvc s500. There is none of that..
Still I would say the more I A/B , the more I think you would have preferred the acentuated nuanced sub bass of the es700 if you desire a brighter can than your s500 wich have mid bass elevation and thus darker mids. The es700 are just 2 notches in DB below an es10.
That is to say an es10 would sound twice as large as es700 and since you like the bass increase, your ideal preferences would be either an es10, OR a vmoda m100..!!..
I really cannot state anything more about them without giving proper burn so some impressions can and will change in a week once completed over 100hours...

Is this JVC S500 that you are talking about the one I see on Amazon for $40ish ???

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #593 of 1,799
@DemonFox..

Is this JVC S500 that you are talking about the one I see on Amazon for $40ish ???

Correct JVC HA-S500 b

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #594 of 1,799
Hi guys,
My first post though I have been checking head-fi over a year :) I would appreciate if you could help me to decide whether these headphones will fit my taste.

I listen mainly to DNB, and I have noticed that some of you as well. Will I be satisfied with these or are there any better headphones for DNB, preferably in similar price range. I don't have many headphones to compare. I own Fischer FA-011 which have nice bass hit, but I am missing the lowest one. Same with IEMs MH1C and Brainwavz R1. My main IEMs right now are FS Atrio X which I REALLY love for the bass it can produce.
I am planning to get XB90EX and Atrio MG7 as well, but also looking for big sized headpones.

So, will these ATH fit my taste or which one has similar bass like Atrios does?

Thanks for any help :)

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #595 of 1,799
I think that it's important to not think of the WS99s as "bass head" headphones. If people get them thinking they're going to be blown away by the bass, they'll be disappointed. I think what makes the WS99 so great is that it has all of the awesomeness of a "neutral" audiophile level headphone, with the added bonus of bass and subbass at levels that are acceptable to people who enjoy EDM. 

Are there any spectrum response graphs out there for the WS99? I'm really curious how it would compare to something like Senn 600.

So far my favorite EDM genre for the WS99 has to be Electro. The crisp highs combined with the subbass = "YISSSSSSSSSSS!"

https://soundcloud.com/lobounce/eliot-lipp-the-sunset-lobounce

And one of my favorite electro tunes from last year: https://soundcloud.com/lobounce/oil-slick

And my favorite Electro from 2011 (if you listen to just one, this one should be it 320kbps FTW :) ): http://themusicninja.net/newsongs/Lick%20The%20Rainbow%20(Original%20Mix).mp3

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #597 of 1,799
Quote:
I think that it's important to not think of the WS99s as "bass head" headphones. If people get them thinking they're going to be blown away by the bass, they'll be disappointed. I think what makes the WS99 so great is that it has all of the awesomeness of a "neutral" audiophile level headphone, with the added bonus of bass and subbass at levels that are acceptable to people who enjoy EDM. 

Very well said.

Quote:
Are there any spectrum response graphs out there for the WS99? I'm really curious how it would compare to something like Senn 600.

So far my favorite EDM genre for the WS99 has to be Electro. The crisp highs combined with the subbass = "YISSSSSSSSSSS!"

https://soundcloud.com/lobounce/eliot-lipp-the-sunset-lobounce

And one of my favorite electro tunes from last year: https://soundcloud.com/lobounce/oil-slick

And my favorite Electro from 2011 (if you listen to just one, this one should be it 320kbps FTW :) ): http://themusicninja.net/newsongs/Lick%20The%20Rainbow%20(Original%20Mix).mp3

I will be checking those out for sure - thanks!

And if anyone wants to know how the WS99's pair with the ELE DAC without any amping... very well. The ELE DAC brightens them up just a tad, and they sound amazing off of it. Tested and confirmed with this awesome Soundgarden track: Black Hole Sun.

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #598 of 1,799
Are these any good for rock?

Meh.

They are great all arounders, but in order to for them to be rock headphones they would need a little bit more bite in the top end and these have great bass impact but are still very neutral cans. For Rock I like the Ultrasone HIFI-780's. They are very bright at first, almost to bright but once you put about 5-10 hours on them they calm down pretty quickly. But they have a lot of personality that to me puts them on a different level than the 99's here. The 99's are probably "better" headphones but the 780's have a much more lively sound that is a ton of fun.

Thanks,

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #599 of 1,799
Meh.

They are great all arounders, but in order to for them to be rock headphones they would need a little bit more bite in the top end and these have great bass impact but are still very neutral cans. For Rock I like the Ultrasone HIFI-780's. They are very bright at first, almost to bright but once you put about 5-10 hours on them they calm down pretty quickly. But they have a lot of personality that to me puts them on a different level than the 99's here. The 99's are probably "better" headphones but the 780's have a much more lively sound that is a ton of fun.

Thanks,

Thanks! Instead of saying just rock, I should've said jrock. For example, Sign By Flow

Just saying, I always eq my cans towards a brighter sound signature. My main problem with many cans its bass quickness.

2 questions:

Should I get a fiio e11?

How are they comfort-wise?

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #600 of 1,799
Meh.

Thanks,

Thanks! Instead of saying just rock, I should've said jrock. For example, Sign By Flow

Just saying, I always eq my cans towards a brighter sound signature. My main problem with many cans its bass quickness.

2 questions:

Should I get a fiio e11?

How are they comfort-wise?

The WS99 are stupid comfy and great looking cans. The 780's are solid built and look pretty good but they are not the most comfy cans on the market. A few quick mods can probably fix that. Add cushion to the headband and better pads and you should be good to go.

The e11 is a solid little amp period. For the price you can get one for its almost like why not. There are some others out there for a little bit more that are great as well like the C&C BH and BK. Both are under $100 and worth every penny.

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back