The Woo Audio 2
Mar 14, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #1,441 of 1,750
Hey guys i have some lightly used Rectifiers for your WA2 I sold mine so selling my tubes  here's a link to the ad if interested   .Thanks                                                                                                      http://www.head-fi.org/t/840041/wa2-rectifiers-telefunken-ez80-rft-ez80-and-ez81-ects

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #1,443 of 1,750
im thinking of swapping my TS 7236 for TS 5998, any thoughts on if its worth it?
I have not heard the ts7236
The 5998 is punchy, pretty dynamic, lively and goid level of detail.

I woudl think that would generally work well with the hd600 that i think you have. Or the hd650.

Ive found over the last few years that the general concensus here on tubes is usually around the mark. And the gec 6as7g is considered (and is easily) the most detailed tube with great extension and them comes the we421a/ts5998.

And them a bit of a gap (re detail and clarity) to others

What the ts7236 offers (perhaps warmth) i can't help with personal experience

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #1,445 of 1,750
from my personal experience, I liked the 7236 more than 5998 with the HD650. With HD800, I liked the 5998 more
I also preferred the TS7236 with HD650s (I didn't care for Sylvania 7236s). With Beyer T1s, I preferred the 5998.

Oct 7, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #1,447 of 1,750
can anyone shed some light?

i keep reading that the wa2 (otl) amp can't run the lcd2 (most of the time it's negative).

what i can't figure out is that i don't hear any issues at all

at 1/2 volume (12 o'clock) it's a decent volume level, at 2pm it's very loud

why do i have no issues but MOST postings on headfi dismiss the amp to drive it?

i did read somewhere that planars aren't as power hungry as dynamic headphones - is that it

thanks

Oct 7, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #1,448 of 1,750
can anyone shed some light?

i keep reading that the wa2 (otl) amp can't run the lcd2 (most of the time it's negative).

what i can't figure out is that i don't hear any issues at all

at 1/2 volume (12 o'clock) it's a decent volume level, at 2pm it's very loud

why do i have no issues but MOST postings on headfi dismiss the amp to drive it?

i did read somewhere that planars aren't as power hungry as dynamic headphones - is that it

thanks

It's about the damping factor/impedance matching, not power. The LCD-2 will typically sound less bright and with looser bass than with a better suited amplifier. But planars are less affected than many of the low impedance dynamic headphones. And you even might like the result, but the sound definitely gets colored :)

Oct 7, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #1,449 of 1,750
To my understanding, it is about an impedance mismatch, rather than volume.

I use LCD-3s; but they sound much better on my Ragnarok, than on my WA2. My 600 ohm T1s sound better on the WA2. It's a matter of clarity for the LCD-3s.

I use and like both pairs.

Oct 7, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #1,450 of 1,750
It's about the damping factor/impedance matching, not power. The LCD-2 will typically sound less bright and with looser bass than with a better suited amplifier. But planars are less affected than many of the low impedance dynamic headphones. And you even might like the result, but the sound definitely gets colored :)
luckily (for me) it doesn't get too coloured (particularly not a bloomy bass) and i guess 70 ohms isn't too low

can you describe to semi-layman (me) why planars don't get as affected?

(i demoed the burson conductor v2 + today and i think by hearing the wa2 again I may have save my self a few bucks not needing the burson amp. Unless of course that may come back into the equation when my elear arrives in a week as i did demo that breifly with the wa2 and that (from memory) was too bloomy)

Oct 7, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #1,451 of 1,750
To my understanding, it is about an impedance mismatch, rather than volume.

I use LCD-3s; but they sound much better on my Ragnarok, than on my WA2. My 600 ohm T1s sound better on the WA2. It's a matter of clarity for the LCD-3s.

I use and like both pairs.
i can see how that lcd 3 might sound better on the rag, but i think lcd 2 and wa2 don't get enough respect as a very good (but understandably not ideal combo

i am also using the gec 6as7g power tubes that perhaps help hold it together

Oct 7, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #1,452 of 1,750
luckily (for me) it doesn't get too coloured (particularly not a bloomy bass) and i guess 70 ohms isn't too low

can you describe to semi-layman (me) why planars don't get as affected?

(i demoed the burson conductor v2 + today and i think by hearing the wa2 again I may have save my self a few bucks not needing the burson amp. Unless of course that may come back into the equation when my elear arrives in a week as i did demo that breifly with the wa2 and that (from memory) was too bloomy)

I recommend reading up on impedance over at innerfidelity here: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/musings-headphone-amplifier-output-impedance, and on planars, here: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/how-planar-magnetic-headphones-work

Here's a relevant quote about planars and amps
Easy on the Amplifier --- Unlike the coiled winding of a dynamic driver, which creates inductive peaks in the impedance characteristics of the headphone, current planar magnetic headphones use a serpentine pattern for their voice coil, which makes their impedance characteristics almost purely resistive. Though they sometimes need quite a bit of voltage to drive them, they are not difficult loads to drive at all.
Read more at https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/how-planar-magnetic-headphones-work-page-2#piwihO2ptJtQBD3w.99

i can see how that lcd 3 might sound better on the rag, but i think lcd 2 and wa2 don't get enough respect as a very good (but understandably not ideal combo
i am also using the gec 6as7g power tubes that perhaps help hold it together

I totally agree that the LCD-2 (and 3 as I see it) is absolutely not wasted with the WA2! If you own the WA2, don't keep that from enjoying the LCD-2 and 3. But if you already have the WA2 and need an amp, the WA2 is not first on the list - then WA6SE (and many others) would be a safer recommendation. They latest LCD-3 model is 110 ohms, so it might be less colored than the original LCD-3 , which I've heard (and actually liked quite a bit despite the coloration) with the WA2.

Keep on enjoying your WA2/LCD-2, @thecrow :)

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #1,454 of 1,750
Nov 17, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #1,455 of 1,750
Ditto to Crow's comments. It's not the newest amp in the Woo lineup but it is one helluva amp. Think it came out in 2009 or thereabouts so it's not going to get much press now.
But it delivers the goods for me. So musical. So digestible. End game amp for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back