The Woo Audio 2
Nov 18, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #1,456 of 1,750
Looks like WA2 isn't very popular now a days...
Like other have said, I have one, like it, and don't need two. I have enough tubes to last a decade or so. There isn't much to talk about.

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #1,457 of 1,750
This is typical newer must be better approach. Yes for planars amps should be selected in a different way and dedicated construction will sound better as electrically it will be more suitable. WA2 with right tubes and dynamic headphones like HD800// AT -WX000 is really hard to beat. And as somebody said - have one , not planning to sell and love one. BTW I also love and not planning to part with my old-new BOZ ZZ-8.

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #1,458 of 1,750
I have a WA2 myself, and I think it provides great value at its price point. But I don't see a lot of discussion on tube rolling, compared to even something like the WA5. I find it a bit strange.

Nov 19, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #1,462 of 1,750
Dec 5, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #1,468 of 1,750
Hi Folks!

I bought a WA2, in black, during the Woo Audio Thanksgiving sale a couple weeks ago. So far, this amp is incredible. Really, really happy with it. My intention is to use it with my HD650, HD800, and ZMF Eikon. They weren't getting the attention they deserve, and I figured this amp was the perfect cure.

My WA2 came with PhilipsECG 6080WC, PhilipsECG 6922, and Electro-Harmonix 6CA4 (EZ81). I was actually quite satisfied with the way those tubes sounded, but of course I had to try some others. I have a number of 6DJ8/6922 tubes from when I had a Lyr2, so I swapped in some Reflector 6N1P '75 "Holy Grails", also swapped in a pair of TS 7236, and a pair of Ei EZ80s. I can't believe how hard the bass hits on this amp with this tube combo. I'm using it primarily with my ZMF Eikons right now and it's just so impressive. The TS 7236s, while obviously bass monsters, seem to be a mid-centric tube as well, and really cleaned up and highlight vocals vs the Philips 6080s. It's a really addictive listening experience that I can't seem to get enough of. Can't say that the Ei rectifiers really did much for me... I think I may actually prefer the EHs, although its fairly subtle.

I'm still looking for some TS 5998s at a "reasonable" price. No luck yet. I did pick up a pair of TS 6080WAs, as I heard they sound good but are hard to find. Unfortunately, one of them has a bad short in it and damn near blew out my left channel and my eardrum. Working on getting a refund on them. Disappointing.
Contemplating picking up some 6AS7s to try out as well.

I have a fairly significant amount of hum on the WA2. Least noticeable on the HD650s and most noticeable on the Eikons. Really picks up right at that 11am mark, as others have said. I haven't put much effort into mitigating it yet. I can only hear it when there's no music playing, so it doesn't really bother me... no more so than my tinnitus anyway, heh.

Glad to be part of the WA2 club and just wanted to reiterate that this is still a great amp, even if it's not the monthly flavor. Excellent, clear sound and amazing dynamics.

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #1,469 of 1,750
Hi Folks!

I bought a WA2, in black, during the Woo Audio Thanksgiving sale a couple weeks ago. So far, this amp is incredible. Really, really happy with it. My intention is to use it with my HD650, HD800, and ZMF Eikon. They weren't getting the attention they deserve, and I figured this amp was the perfect cure.

My WA2 came with PhilipsECG 6080WC, PhilipsECG 6922, and Electro-Harmonix 6CA4 (EZ81). I was actually quite satisfied with the way those tubes sounded, but of course I had to try some others. I have a number of 6DJ8/6922 tubes from when I had a Lyr2, so I swapped in some Reflector 6N1P '75 "Holy Grails", also swapped in a pair of TS 7236, and a pair of Ei EZ80s. I can't believe how hard the bass hits on this amp with this tube combo. I'm using it primarily with my ZMF Eikons right now and it's just so impressive. The TS 7236s, while obviously bass monsters, seem to be a mid-centric tube as well, and really cleaned up and highlight vocals vs the Philips 6080s. It's a really addictive listening experience that I can't seem to get enough of. Can't say that the Ei rectifiers really did much for me... I think I may actually prefer the EHs, although its fairly subtle.

I'm still looking for some TS 5998s at a "reasonable" price. No luck yet. I did pick up a pair of TS 6080WAs, as I heard they sound good but are hard to find. Unfortunately, one of them has a bad short in it and damn near blew out my left channel and my eardrum. Working on getting a refund on them. Disappointing.

I have a fairly significant amount of hum on the WA2. Least noticeable on the HD650s and most noticeable on the Eikons. Really picks up right at that 11am mark, as others have said. I haven't put much effort into mitigating it yet. I can only hear it when there's no music playing, so it doesn't really bother me... no more so than my tinnitus anyway, heh.

Glad to be part of the WA2 club and just wanted to reiterate that this is still a great amp, even if it's not the monthly flavor. Excellent, clear sound and amazing dynamics.
When I bought my wa2 two years ago I was quite surprised how detailed it is on top of it’s silliness. And that was with just the stock tubes

Fantastic amp for my hd800

Enjoy!!!

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #1,470 of 1,750
Hi Folks!

I use mine with HD 800S. Absolutely phenomenal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back