The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Mar 21, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #6,121 of 7,980
Quote:
After lurking about the forms and reading about the Heir Audio products for a couple of weeks, I decided to put in an order for some 4.ai to replace the shure e4 I have been using for the last 8 years ( the cord is fraying and I can't repair them again). Unfortunately, Heir-USA is currently out of stock and while I'm trying to be patient, the wait is killing me!

Can anyone tell me if using these at the gym would be a bad idea? These headphones are going to live mostly at my office, but if the sweat isn't going to hurt them, then I might start taking them to the gym with me as well.

i just got my 4.ai in the mail today, its awesome!!! just keep waiting you will not be disappointed.

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #6,122 of 7,980
Quote:
If we were able to choose only one we would not be here
smily_headphones1.gif

8.A for me, easy choice 
wink.gif

Keeping my DX100 running would be a bigger issue... Does the deserted island have power outlets?

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #6,124 of 7,980
Quote:
This is quite a strong statement. It would lead to think that Miracles would come 7th after 8.a, 6.A LE, JH13 FreqPhase, Westone ES5, Merlin and Lear LCM-5. Well at least most people will think that, not even reading the second sentence. But if it is really your opinion than ok :) I have a distant memory that you said in another thread that you did not own the Miracles anymore so could not compare though.

Owning the Heir 5.0, which is suposedly close to the 8.a, the sound signature is so different from the Miracles that it cannot compare. And the Miracles are technically better (cannot say for the 8.a).

Saying "7th" makes it sound terrible, which is not my intent. They all have their strengths, and moments where they shine, and moments where they aren't the best. I was simply stating which ones I personally would like to use more than Miracle. But Miracle is still a spectacular IEM and I could easily see how someone could prefer it to most or even all of the models I mentioned.

So no big deal. It's like a comparison between HD800, T1, LCD-2, HE-500, Signature Pro, PS1000, W5000, etc. Some people will have an overwhelming favorite, other people will like most of them for different reasons, some people will have a few that they really dislike (for me it's the PS1000), etc. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
The Miracle and the UERM are considered by most to be the pinnacle in CIEM's. Your statement is very strong indeed.

By most? Who are these "most"? Of the people I know who have lots of CIEM experience (as in, owning at least half a dozen or more), none of them would agree with you as far as I know. Miracle and UERM are certainly considered very good though. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #6,126 of 7,980
Quote:
By most? Who are these "most"? Of the people I know who have lots of CIEM experience (as in, owning at least half a dozen or more), none of them would agree with you as far as I know. Miracle and UERM are certainly considered very good though. 

The Miracle is just a really popular/well known choice in the CIEM market, so we see way more people talking about them. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #6,127 of 7,980
Quote:
Hmm. What would people recommend as a DAC? There was mention of a little USB one before but I can't seem to find it. Open to suggestions.

The audioquest Dragonfly is abou the size of a USB key. I'm very happy with the sound, lots of punch and depth to the bass. There is a a photo of it in my profile I believe.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #6,128 of 7,980
Quote:
Hmm. What would people recommend as a DAC? There was mention of a little USB one before but I can't seem to find it. Open to suggestions.

Get an ODAC. It is seriously good and incredibly cheap for its performance. 

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #6,130 of 7,980
Mar 22, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #6,131 of 7,980
Why not have a look at the Hippo Cricri+

Has a built in 24bit/960KHz built in USB DAC and is also a fantastic portable amp as well as being ridiculously small and very nicely priced at around slightly above 100 bucks!

Mar 22, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #6,132 of 7,980
Quote:
doug it was the UD100 by stoner acoustics - http://www.head-fi.org/t/626632/tiny-dac-big-sound-impression-of-stoner-acoustics-ud100-vs-odac

alternative is - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hifimediy-Sabre-USB-DAC-ES9023-Tenor-TE7022-96khz-24bit-96-24-/140911022146?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cef39042

if u want a better alternative , definately the dragonfly / or the new meridian (but this has a higher output impedance) i think? or read it somewhere lol

Oh, you guys are talking about this little thing? 
wink.gif

That yellow usb key is the Stoner Acoustics UD100 DAC and it is damn good actually. I use my DX100 as a source so now the UD100 lives in my car, serving as DAC for the Nexus 7 I have installed there. 

ClieOS  has a very nice review of it here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/626632/tiny-dac-big-sound-impression-of-stoner-acoustics-ud100-vs-odac

My take: It just works and it sounds great doing so. Amazing sound from such a tiny tiny device! I'm ordering a second one just to keep in my bag with the R1, as backup for the DX100. That huge Switchcraft plug on my Magnus cable was swapped for something more suitable last night:

The new (mini) Viablue 3.5mm. Very well made, but unlike the Switchcraft, very compact. And the colors match my faceplates (hard to see in a shoddy phone pic), so I had to do it.

Mar 22, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #6,135 of 7,980
Quote:
soren how does the rendition 1 + ud combo sound vs the dx100 standalone .. could u give your take on it please?

I have a week off from work, starting today, so I might be able to do some more comparative listening... But if you're sitting at a computer anyways, I wouldn't hesistate recommending the UD100 -> R1 combo. Or you could go ODAC -> R1 and get 24/96 with more bulk. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back