The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Feb 9, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #5,161 of 7,980
Quote:
Well I'm sure if the person reports them lost or stolen to Heir the robber won't get such satisfaction due to the serial number. :wink:...

The problem with this concept is that we would probably need a police report on file regarding the theft of the CIEMs. 

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Feb 9, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #5,162 of 7,980
Quote:
My 4.A and 8.A arrived yesterday, and have had a day to play with them (not enough!) I thought I would share a few quick impressions:

Of course, the build quality is top-notch. Everything about them is solid, smooth and beautiful. Better than I could have hoped for. The customer service from Heir was superb throughout the entire process. Wizard was more than helpful on the creative side, answering all my ridiculous questions and after all that settling on a plain wood design. (His original suggestion - lol) Then Brannan and Sunny kept things moving along really smoothly on the business end of things which was probably a bit more complicated than normal since I made a change to my order (adding the 4.A) and needing to redo my ear impressions. 

The fit on both pair seems to be spot-on. They isolate, keep a seal really well, and are comfortable. Really happy about this. The only thing I am struggling with is they can be a bit challenging to get out! But it will get easier with time...

The 4.A sounds fantastic. I previously had the 4Ai universal, so that was to be expected. Everything is evenly presented and very "natural" sounding. The only thing that surprised me is that the bass on the custom version seems to be more present. This is not a bad thing, as when I had the universals, I would bump a few db boost in the bass range to get them to my liking. Not here, they seem "just right". Perhaps it has to do with better isolation or something, I don't know but It's good. Mind you, it's still not a bass monster but if it's in the track you get it evenly presented along with the rest of the spectrum. 

The 8.A. Wow. I'm going to need more listening time before I can make any sensible remarks...but I like it. Basically anything else you may have read about it already is true. Great bass...but not overpowering. It's just there and strong but kept in it's place. The whole presentation feels a touch dark at first but as you listen you quickly realize how much detail is in then mids and highs as well. Every tone has a warmth and lushness to it but it doesn't affect the detail. Every little detail is right there for the taking. A quick and simple impression is that it sounds BIG. Big and smooth.

I won't get into much more listening impressions right now, but after a couple weeks I plan on writing up a bit of a review of the 8.A and will get some comparisons to the 3.Ai. The 8.A is kind of like a grown-up, mature 3.Ai....both have a really fun sound....young and scrappy vs. old and distinguished. 

One other thing I wanted to comment on is the Magnus cable. It is just perfect. It is everything it needs to be, and has nothing that it doesn't need to be. Does that make sense? The construction is solid, it just feels great, perfect weight and very flexible. Some may think it is not "flashy" enough, maybe? That is the only thing that some people may see as a drawback...but remember my comment "nothing it doesn't need'? Well it doesn't need to look flashy. It's bad-ass just the way it is. One other thing - I'm not too crazy about the memory wire. I don't think it's really necessary on the customs..I have removed it from other headphone cables and I may do the same here. That's just my personal preference, however..not a criticism of the Magnus cable.

I am afraid I made a horrible mistake by not upgrading my 4.A with the Magnus cable. I really should have. Really. If anyone is on the fence about getting it, just do it. It's so worth it. The upgrade price is cheaper than buying it outright, which now I must do!

A couple quick pics:
8.A

4.A

Nice pics.  Just a thought on the cable side, have you tried emailing heir about the "situation" to see if there's anything they can do about a one off discount for you?  Everyone keeps on about the customer service so may be worth a shot!

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #5,163 of 7,980
Quote:
Nice pics.  Just a thought on the cable side, have you tried emailing heir about the "situation" to see if there's anything they can do about a one off discount for you?  Everyone keeps on about the customer service so may be worth a shot!

The "discount" on the Magnus is actually the deducted cost of not including the stock cable. Since thegrobe has the stock cable, it would amount to Heir giving that to him for free.

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #5,167 of 7,980
I think everyone knows this already, but if any of you have dealt with other companies (and realized how inept other companies are at their CS), you'll realize just how awesome Heir's service really is. They are tops in this industry. Just wanted to say that. Happy Year of the Snake, people!

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #5,168 of 7,980
Quote:
What dap are you using with the 8.A grobe?

For laptop, the UHA-6S mkII. Then 5G/7G iPods and a Clip Zip going through the UHA amp section. I also have the Hi-Fi M8 on pre-order, that should be pretty awesome to get the most out of the iPods.

You know what really surprised me? Just how good the 8.A sounds right out of the clip. The 3.Ai and 4.A definitely benefit from amping (my opinion) to help "open" up the sound a bit. The 8.A just sounds so massive that it's pretty darn good straight from the clip. It does scale up a bit going through the amp, then sounds best going through the UHA DAC. But still, big sound. 
Quote:

The "discount" on the Magnus is actually the deducted cost of not including the stock cable. Since thegrobe has the stock cable, it would amount to Heir giving that to him for free.

Yes, It would probably involve returning the stock cable.....The Magnus is really nice. And the fact that it's a 4 conductor too, it can easily be re-terminated for balanced use. (with the M8!)

Anyone who is tossing the idea around...just sayin'...the CIEM's are so nice that they deserve a special cable, and you will invariably start shopping for an aftermarket cable. For my needs, the Magnus is everything it needs to be at a fair price.

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #5,169 of 7,980
Quote:
Anyone who is tossing the idea around...just sayin'...the CIEM's are so nice that they deserve a special cable, and you will invariably start shopping for an aftermarket cable. For my needs, the Magnus is everything it needs to be at a fair price.

I just plug the IEMs I want to listen to into my Magnus cable... (Sorry Wizard if I just ruined a sale for you there 
biggrin.gif
)

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #5,170 of 7,980
Grobe, when you say massive, are you referring to a specific quality of their signature like soundstage? Or do you just mean that they sound physically big, like full sized cans with lots of power?

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #5,171 of 7,980
Quote:
Grobe, when you say massive, are you referring to a specific quality of their signature like soundstage? Or do you just mean that they sound physically big, like full sized cans with lots of power?

I don't really want to to talk too much about the sound just yet..until I have more time to listen and make sensible remarks. That said, my initial reaction is just "big"! ...maybe soundstage, and the fact that everything sounds big and lush. Also, they seem to take whatever you can throw at them and even at higher volumes they never sound strained. You can listen at higher volumes (within reason, of course) due to the smooth highs. I hope that helps a bit. Maybe someone else who has had the 8.A for awhile can explain why I keep thinking that word is a good descriptor. 
Quote:
I just plug the IEMs I want to listen to into my Magnus cable... (Sorry Wizard if I just ruined a sale for you there 
biggrin.gif
)

Ha ha. The thing with that is I'm not too crazy about plugging and unplugging from the IEM over and over. I'm afraid to wear out the sockets and ruin them. I would rather just buy another cable to keep on each pair. (or is that just silly?)

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #5,173 of 7,980
Quote:

Ha ha. The thing with that is I'm not too crazy about plugging and unplugging from the IEM over and over. I'm afraid to wear out the sockets and ruin them. I would rather just buy another cable to keep on each pair. (or is that just silly?)

I agree, the sockets will wear. Sure a few times will not matter but if you do it on a regular bases I am sure you are asking for problems..

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #5,174 of 7,980
Quote:
I don't really want to to talk too much about the sound just yet..until I have more time to listen and make sensible remarks. That said, my initial reaction is just "big"! ...maybe soundstage, and the fact that everything sounds big and lush. Also, they seem to take whatever you can throw at them and even at higher volumes they never sound strained. You can listen at higher volumes (within reason, of course) due to the smooth highs. I hope that helps a bit. Maybe someone else who has had the 8.A for awhile can explain why I keep thinking that word is a good descriptor. 

Thanks. I'm only asking because all these impressions of the 8.A sound a heck of a lot like how I perceive my dream earz 7X. Big sound, lush, smooth no matter how loud, slightly warm but not lacking detail, etc. I'm just trying to orient myself on how they might be different, if at all. Because if they are indeed as similar as I think, then I can test out similar sources/daps/cables etc., since wayyy more people own 8.A than 7X haha

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #5,175 of 7,980
Quote:
I agree, the sockets will wear. Sure a few times will not matter but if you do it on a regular bases I am sure you are asking for problems..

I tend to unplug my cables when packing my iems to avoid strain on the sockets during transportation but maybe I should just leave them in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back