The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Feb 9, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #5,177 of 7,980
I have only used the Heir otterbox case and as such I never remove the cables from my 8a's, they fit nice in there with the cable circled around the inside of the case. The Magnus is such a nice cable.

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #5,178 of 7,980
Quote:
I tend to unplug my cables when packing my iems to avoid strain on the sockets during transportation but maybe I should just leave them in...

That is a valid piont., I always put them back in a protective case when they are not in use. Just look at the CIEMS that went on the world tour at the end of the tour some users reported that the cables/plugs are not a tight fit.

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #5,179 of 7,980
Quote:
What strain is there?

My issue with doing that is the Heir fitting is quite tight and the concern of bending the pins is there, whilst the Shure and Phonak are more seamless clip on/off

The metal is stressed with each insertion and removal, and the plating on the pins will eventually abrade. With overuse (or extreme stress), the metal will fatigue and break.

Most connectors have use life cycles: The average number of times that they can be attached and detached before they wear out. Very small connectors like those used in IEMs typically have use life cycles measurable in hundreds, rather than thousands.

For your cable it's not a big deal; if it's not fancy you can replace it for twenty bucks or so; if it's exotic you can have a cablemaker cut the plugs off and mount new ones. You can't be so casual about wearing out the sockets on your IEMs, though.

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #5,180 of 7,980
Yes but if you read the thread my question was directly following this post:
Quote:
I tend to unplug my cables when packing my iems to avoid strain on the sockets during transportation but maybe I should just leave them in...

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #5,181 of 7,980
I don't see where strain could be an issue if you carefully place your ciems in the case and lay the cable around them, the Magnus is extremely flexible. It's not like it is the cable on the gr07's that would spring out of the case on you like a can of snakes.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #5,184 of 7,980
Quote:
Especially when you have kids that try to pull on the cable or a clumsy wife.

Oh I can just imagine!  Someone trying to get a Head-Fi'ers attention by pulling on the cable.

I recall hearing a story of two women talking about a failed relationship. One of their young sons overheard their conversation and asked in a genuinly concerned tone, "Did you touch his speakers?".

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #5,185 of 7,980
Tzar 350 + R1 = the start of a great day

seriously, any time I watch a true master, I am humbled, and these two guys are true Wizards of their craft

Much respect

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Feb 10, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #5,187 of 7,980
When I bought my 8.A's, I had to drop over a grand to do so. When I told my girlfriend she didn't even bat an eye. When I bought a $50 umbrella off Amazon, however... Somehow, that was insane. I'm not sure which one of us is the crazy one.

On a more topic-related note, my CIEMs have been submitted to the clearing agency. It says its in California but does that mean they really have arrived in the US? I remember there being a bit of weirdness when I bought my 4.A, does any recent purchasers remember?

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #5,188 of 7,980
Quote:
When I bought my 8.A's, I had to drop over a grand to do so. When I told my girlfriend she didn't even bat an eye. When I bought a $50 umbrella off Amazon, however... Somehow, that was insane. I'm not sure which one of us is the crazy one.

On a more topic-related note, my CIEMs have been submitted to the clearing agency. It says its in California but does that mean they really have arrived in the US? I remember there being a bit of weirdness when I bought my 4.A, does any recent purchasers remember?

Mine are still posted in China pending shipping..... Not sure if its gonna leave the country before everything closes at this point. Still it's been there since the 6th I think so I'd hope they would ship it out....

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #5,189 of 7,980
Doug - post that 50$ umbrella bro! hahahaha
guys i got mine a few days ago and i absolutely love them, i will post a proper review later once i upgrade my dap to a better one, perfect fit first time round, no issues apart for some sore ears, guess my ears have to get used to ciems, posting some quick pics + unboxing video, want to thank everyone at heir audio and all the headfi members who helped and suggested me to get these! im really glad i did :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back