The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Feb 10, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #5,210 of 7,980
Pardon the stupid question but lee730's post made me wonder about something. Is it possible to have a CIEM that is a shallow fit but can isolate as well as say a traditional deep fitting CIEM? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if it was possible wouldn't problems like bone conduction be greatly minimized.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #5,211 of 7,980
Quote:
Pardon the stupid question but lee730's post made me wonder about something. Is it possible to have a CIEM that is a shallow fit but can isolate as well as say a traditional deep fitting CIEM? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if it was possible wouldn't problems like bone conduction be greatly minimized.

I don't think a shallow fit will yield you the isolation of a deeper fit due to the material in the shell itself. I think bone conduction will be an issue regardless but that is depending on what you are doing (eating, sleeping on our side, etc). You may have a point on it being more noticeable on a deeper fit though. To my knowledge Heir no longer does the deep musician fits any longer due to multiple fit issues with such a design.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #5,212 of 7,980
It certainly is a process to find the correct length for the musicians fit. I can understand why Heir does not make them anymore. If they are too long they touch the really sensitive part of the ear canal and it is quite painful. Mine are just a hair shorter than that, if I give them a good push while they are already in place I can just barely hit that painful area on both sides.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #5,213 of 7,980
Quote:
Is it possible to have a CIEM that is a shallow fit but can isolate as well as say a traditional deep fitting CIEM? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if it was possible wouldn't problems like bone conduction be greatly minimized.

The greater the isolation, however you achieve it, the more you'll hear sounds from bone conduction. It's a necessary trade-off.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #5,214 of 7,980
It'd take quite some time to find out the right amount of build-up a shallow fit shell would need to achieve the same isolation as that of the musician/deep fit, and bear in mind that no 2 people have the same outer ear anatomy so the CIEM manufacturer will have to repeat this process for every single person if requested by customers. IMO without trial and error (and a bit of luck) the answer to your question is 'no'. 

Personally I prefer a slightly-past-1st-bend canal to a deep one. There's no way the CIEM can hurt the sensitive parts of my ears during sleep however I turn.
Quote:

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #5,215 of 7,980
Quote:
Just trying to decide if I want the Wizard to create something fabulous or to have a pair of clear flawless crystals.

Being extremely happy with how the Wizard put my desired ingredients together on my 4.A and 8.A, I'm really excited to see what he comes up with for my 6.A.  Being that these are LE pieces, you might as well add on the limited Wizard design 
size]

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #5,216 of 7,980
Just trying to decide if I want the Wizard to create something fabulous or to have a pair of clear flawless crystals.

Being extremely happy with how the Wizard put my desired ingredients together on my 4.A and 8.A, I'm really excited to see what he comes up with for my 6.A.  Being that these are LE pieces, you might as well add on the limited Wizard design 
size]

I’d second this but with a proviso: If you don’t already have a strong idea of what you’re looking for then let a master craftsman like The Wizard do it for you. They’ll have loads of great ideas and already have a very strong sense about what looks good and what doesn’t.

With both the pairs I ordered I knew what I was looking for. The first was a dark, understated minimalism with a hint of something underneath. So I went with a dark, semi-transparent body and the Wizard was kind enough to laser on a pair of logos that were only clearly visible under strong backlight or the right reflected glare. The result was exactly what I had in mind. For my second I wanted something that showed the quality and mastery of the headphones. My coworkers—who are the ones who see me in them the most—don’t really get why I’m so into headphones. When they see my 8.A’s I want them to get it. I want them to see the parts inside and know how technical they really are but I want them to also see the caps and see that they really are a work of master craftsmanship, truly works of art in their own right. So I went with clear bodies and a beautiful wood cap.

I loved the first while I had them and though I haven’t seen the second set yet (and won’t until Tuesday) I know I’ll love them when I do. There’re a couple of new people in the office who have a budding understanding of why I do what I do. Hoping this will help them along. :D

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #5,217 of 7,980
Quote:
I’d second this but with a proviso: If you don’t already have a strong idea of what you’re looking for then let a master craftsman like The Wizard do it for you. They’ll have loads of great ideas and already have a very strong sense about what looks good and what doesn’t.

With both the pairs I ordered I knew what I was looking for. The first was a dark, understated minimalism with a hint of something underneath. So I went with a dark, semi-transparent body and the Wizard was kind enough to laser on a pair of logos that were only clearly visible under strong backlight or the right reflected glare. The result was exactly what I had in mind. For my second I wanted something that showed the quality and mastery of the headphones. My coworkers—who are the ones who see me in them the most—don’t really get why I’m so into headphones. When they see my 8.A’s I want them to get it. I want them to see the parts inside and know how technical they really are but I want them to also see the caps and see that they really are a work of master craftsmanship, truly works of art in their own right. So I went with clear bodies and a beautiful wood cap.

I loved the first while I had them and though I haven’t seen the second set yet (and won’t until Tuesday) I know I’ll love them when I do. There’re a couple of new people in the office who have a budding understanding of why I do what I do. Hoping this will help them along.
biggrin.gif

Until you mention the price you paid for them, then the comments start racing through their minds "this guy is nuts!" lol :wink:.

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #5,218 of 7,980
Quote:

Until you mention the price you paid for them, then the comments start racing through their minds "this guy is nuts!" lol :wink:.

People make too big a deal out of it. How much money do girls spend on shoes, or guys on fancy clothes? Of course they don't think about that when they think you're the crazy one :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back