The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Feb 14, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #166 of 7,980

Quote:
What I'd like to know is what it is about CIEMs that makes it so hard to measure them? One thing that gave me pause about buying the 4.A's was the side doesn't listen frequency response where others do. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't that Heir Audio isn't guessing or fluffing the data and is, instead, only showing what it knows for certain.

It's the coupling of the tips to the measurement system, and achieving a proper seal, that causes the problem.

Universal IEMs work because they are made to fit most ears, and therefore fit well into the "fake ear" system. Customs are made to fit only a single set of ears. Taking measurements at the base of the canal is possible, but doesn't reflect the real world conditions in which they would be used. 

I'm not exactly clear how other companies like UM do it. There are also many options in the measurement equipment for smoothing, averaging, and otherwise tweaking the data. It isn't designed to be tricky, but rather as a tool.... which of course doesn't mean that it can't be used to make graphs look better. I'm not accusing UM of doing anything wrong, just stating the facts. Basically it comes down to this - UM graphs are only useful for comparison to other UM graphs. Just like Tyll and Purrin always say their graphs are not to be compared against other sources.

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #167 of 7,980
Yet one more reason why I love Head-Fi. In-depth answers from people who really know what they're talking about.

By the way, I heard from Wizard and he explained a bit of it form his perspective, which basically mirrored what's already been said here.

I'm starting to get antsy. I'm dying for my 4.A's to arrive!

Feb 14, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #169 of 7,980
Any idea of comparsion 4.A's and UM Aero? About the soundstage and heights? I soppose that bass response is similar for both. 

the 4.a review includes a comparison b/w mage, aero and 4.a, however the guy's implicit comparison of mage and aero are wrong according to my impressions so I personally wouldn't trust that particular part of the review.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #170 of 7,980
As Heir is located in China you will have to pay customs when ordering from the EU. Not sure about the rules in Germany, but here it's the moms (VAT) at 25% + a fee + a percentage depending on the type of goods ordered. 

Not many options for Europeans who do not want to pay taxes. All I can think of is Spiral Ear and ACS, but I'm sure there are others?

I should be getting my 4.A soon (just got email with images to confirm build complete) so I'll let you know costs.

Also, AmpCity/UM shouldn't result in tax charges since I assume they'll ship to you from London.

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #171 of 7,980
I feel bad for starting the FR chart mess by scanning mine. I am a newbie, so shoot me. Oops! :)

Having had my 4.A for a while now, I've got to say that they're fantastic.

The Fit:
The fit is great but the isolation isn't as good as the ACS custom silicone tips and the isolation breaks easily if I open my mouth beyond the bite block width compared to the ACS custom tips. Overall they feel great, not at all fatiguing in terms of fit.

The Build Quality:
Phenomenal. Really well made, beautiful in their simplicity. I love 'em!

The Sound:
Music just comes to life when listening to the Heir Audio 4.A. To my untrained ears, they sound very accurate and natural. They're very balanced and none of the music I have overwhelms at all. Whatever I throw at 'em, they reproduce the music in amazing clarity. I've yet to hear a song that I felt sounded better on one of the various output mediums I've encountered in my life. From 1970s wooden cabinet Kenwood speakers, (albeit not the best example but that's what we had in our house when I was very young and I grew up on their sound), to Etymotics HF3 or the Grado SR80, these 4.A beat them all in terms of sound reproduction. I don't have a large sample to judge them by & comparing them the Ety HF3 is unfair since the Ety is a budget neutral CIEM (when coupled with the ACS Silicone Tips).

I am glad that I found out about Heir Audio at the right time and even gladder that the early reviews here that made Heir seem like the next king of the hill held true in my case. I have no regrets about my purchase & I would gladly recommend Heir Audio to all the people I know. I'd like to personally thank Dr. Moulton for his workmanship & knowledge used to make my CIEM. Worth every cent!

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #172 of 7,980

Quote:
I am glad that I found out about Heir Audio at the right time and even gladder that the early reviews here that made Heir seem like the next king of the hill held true in my case. I have no regrets about my purchase & I would gladly recommend Heir Audio to all the people I know. I'd like to personally thank Dr. Moulton for his workmanship & knowledge used to make my CIEM. Worth every cent!

X2.  John is a great guy who not only builds visually stunning, sonic masterpieces but also stands behind his products 110%.  There is definitely a bright future for Heir.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #173 of 7,980
Dr. Moulton is a great guy, I've spent quite a bit of time writing with him back and forth and he's always been very nice. I'm quite happy with my 8.A and I've recommended it to others.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #174 of 7,980
Same here I would have grown tired of someone emailing me this often by now.  To date John and I have exchanged in excess of 100 emails and he has always responded promptly, courteously and has taken the time to explain things to me and provide additional insight.

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #175 of 7,980
Quote:
I feel bad for starting the FR chart mess by scanning mine. I am a newbie, so shoot me. Oops! :)

Nah, expressing concern in quite understandable. I did too. I got an explanation (the same now on Heir Audio's website) and checked myself that there wasn't any discrepancies; then I felt better. 
cool.gif

Same here I would have grown tired of someone emailing me this often by now.

Oh, so you're THAT guy he was raging against the other day.... 
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #177 of 7,980
Just imagine that's 100 from you then there are the numerous other orders and queries out there that are coming through everyday which are all answered promptly! Then having to build all of those orders.

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #179 of 7,980
I can stop 'sulking' now because everyone else is receiving their CIEM's as i just got my shipping email confirmation
bigsmile_face.gif
.  Didn't see the attached pics until much later because i was so happy i didn't even scroll down the rest of the message!

Must thank the Wizard and praise (once again) the level of service that Heir Audio provide.  I had a slight hiccup in my order which was dealt with immediately. This contrasted greatly with my ACS order which was promised to arrive before xmas then was told it would arrive before i went away and eventually arrived a week after the final confirmed date!

I'll try to get some pics up when i get them. Hopefully UPS will not disappoint me this time
confused_face.gif

p.s They look gorgeous (as i'm sure everyone says of their CIEM's!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back