The Westone UM1/UM2 Appreciation Thread
Nov 6, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #406 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey_magnet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's difficult to guauge the size you would need - They are slightly stiffer than the comply's - if I were going to take a chance I'd get the mediums. You might also want to try a Shure fit kit that has the Shure foamies, clear silicon and grey soft flex in different sizes

X2. The olives are sized a bit larger than the others - I use/prefer large softips in my UM2s and large olives were too large - definitely start at mediums. I think the sound on olives falls somewhere between softips/flanges and outright foamies - I think the stiffer walls will give more reflection than foamies but not quite as much as the former (I'm guessing it's the material, but also largely affected by size/shape of canal and how far inserted, etc.). The fit kit is going to cost you a few dollars, but well spent IMO as once you dial in the tips on your Westones, they're golden...
3000smile.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #407 of 516
Thank you guys. I might also try the shure kit fit...is always cheaper than going custom (well, that is what I think now, lets see in the near future).

PS: This is offtopic. I´ve received the trifangles before my pair UM2 (ultra fast shipping) and I pretended to try them in my old senn´s cx-300 but seems they won´t fit. Is that normal? did I get a wrong or even fake flanges kit?

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #408 of 516
Hi,

I'm a recent owner of a pair of UM2. I was looking for better confort and better sound as compared to my E2c. Got both, however soundwise I'm sometimes annoyed by this "bump" in the low-medium range. In particular, male voices may suffer from this, looks like the guy is sitting behind the instruments, rather than in front of them.

So here's my question to the UM2 community: what's your advice on EQ settings to bring the singer back to the front ? I did some testing on reducing the 250 and 500 Hz bands by a few decibels. I may also consider adding some highs... What do you think / what are you doing ?

Thanks a lot !

Nov 26, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #409 of 516
Like ur thinkin. I have UM2s thru a Thomahawk headamp on my pod - wicked 3D soundstage. Tried Shure's b4 but too sibiliant on bad recordings. Would love to hear some UM3 stories...

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #410 of 516
Thinking about picking up a pair of UM1s...one quick question: do they come with tri-flange tips? If so, does it matter where I order them from?

Thanks!

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #411 of 516
hi bros, I'm a recent owner (2 days only!) of westone um2: reading these last posts about eartips remember me that koss sparplug eartips are almost identical in shape to westone comply tips (long sized), and are almost identical (as the same material used for construction) to shure black foamies!
can you confirm this, I'm dreaming?

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #412 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by IrritatedBacon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thinking about picking up a pair of UM1s...one quick question: do they come with tri-flange tips? If so, does it matter where I order them from?

Thanks!

I just got my UM1's a few days ago. They feel and sound great. They don't come with the tri-flanges, but I ordered from earphonesolutions.com. Their price is the lowest (same as Westone's site) and you can get 3 pairs of the tri-flanges for about $9. Their shipping was free and I had the package 2 days after I placed my order. Definitely recommended!

I haven't actually tried the tri-flanges yet since the UM1's came with the short complys on and they feel so good there's no need to change them yet!

Feb 4, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #413 of 516
Any suggestions on what sleeves I need to get in order to get more bass compared to the complys?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok i ordered the black foam sleeves and triple flanges . Will make a short comparison with them and complys when i recieve them.

Any updates?

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #414 of 516
Hi folks,

I'm thinking of making the UM1's my first ever IEM's. I'll be using them with my iAudio 7 and I mainly listen to rock(in FLAC). Would these IEM's be suited to my needs? The reason I've decided to go with UM1's is the comfort, but how good is the sound?

Also, is an amplifier recommended for them?

Thanks.

Feb 10, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #415 of 516
The sound is awesome on UM1s. Had mine for a year now, and no complaints.

I use the triple-flange-cut-to-a-double-flange mod.

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #416 of 516
I just received my UM2s and am very impressed. They are currently plugged into a Corda 2Move, playing from Foobar on my PC. Even without any burn in, the bass is very tight and the soundstage is starting to extend past my head.

I am using the small comply tips that came fitted and the isolation and fit is very good. I can't hear the phone ringing in the office!!!

Feb 12, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #417 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by vlatko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi folks,

I'm thinking of making the UM1's my first ever IEM's. I'll be using them with my iAudio 7 and I mainly listen to rock(in FLAC). Would these IEM's be suited to my needs? The reason I've decided to go with UM1's is the comfort, but how good is the sound?

Also, is an amplifier recommended for them?

Thanks.

The UM1s would be a terrific fit for you. The sound is quite balanced, somewhat warm, and pretty close to you (as is most IEMs). Comfort, fit, and build quality on the UM1s are really good and for me, that makes Westone products great for first time IEM users. If you use Westone and then try Ultimate Ear's non-custom products and many other IEMs, you'll find that the UM1/2s comfort is a godsend.

Many people say they care only or mainly about the sound quality, and I use to be one of those people. But I've found that it's just simply not possible after you get use to the comfort of UM1/2s. Everything about the UM1/2s are designed so well including the cable. You can sleep with them on, jog with them, eat with them - all with virtually not microphonics. The only thing I would not recommend UM1/2s for is classical music. They lack the detailed/analytical/flat response for that purpose.

Hope you enjoy your UM1s

Feb 21, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #419 of 516
I have to say UM1 is a lot more comfortable than ER-4P. There is no microphonic.

I haven't done any critical listening on UM1. Based on my initial impression, I still prefer ER-4P when it comes to classical music.

Maybe I should get a UM3 ??? 0.-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back