The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 23, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #87,421 of 88,326
It's coming...delayed by two CIEM refits. Should be done by th first half of May. It was actually sounding mighty fine earlier today with this new and rather sexy-looking creature... 😍

PSX_20240423_133531.jpg

It didn't occur to me until I saw your photos that those are "real" windows and not a printed picture of the circuit board :sweat_smile: I guess the clever fading at the top and bottom led me to think so... haha

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #87,422 of 88,326
I think some people were taking about this before but, what are people’s thoughts on the radon 6 vs the Annihilator?
One sounds like music, the other, like treble

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #87,423 of 88,326
One sounds like music, the other, like treble

To my ears, the Anni 23 is less peaky and sharp sounding than the Volur or my A12t, or any other 64A IEM with the Tia driver for treble.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #87,424 of 88,326
To my ears, the Anni 23 is less peaky and sharp sounding than the Volur or my A12t, or any other 64A IEM with the Tia driver for treble.
I feel you. That is why this a very subjective hobby. But of course, when I hear the Anni, I hear great treble, but I am also amazed they made DD bass sound like average BA bass. And that is an amazing feat.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #87,425 of 88,326
I feel you. That is why this a very subjective hobby. But of course, when I hear the Anni, I hear great treble, but I am also amazed they made DD bass sound like average BA bass. And that is an amazing feat.

Definitely a subjective hobby. I don’t hear average BA bass or average bass with the Anni. It more textured and tactile than many IEMs I’ve heard. It’s not the be-all-end-all, but to me, it’s still quite good.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #87,426 of 88,326
The “hole punch” example was an effort to illustrate the acoustic impedance and leakage tolerance differences between the two driver types.

BAs are of a higher acoustic output impedance and leakage intolerance. When exposed to leaks, BAs will (on average) lose more bass SPL than dynamic drivers. Which is why punching a hole in the tip will clearly show the difference between a BA and DD IEM; the former will lose more bass.

Thank-you for explaining the import of the hole punch example. The way you've phrased the point here though has me wondering if you're suggesting that the fundamental difference between BAs & DDs can be adjusted for by EQ. (ie., poke a hole in the tip, EQ up the bass to compensate), which is something I have found not to be the case. I could see how one might use EQ on a BA IEM to simulate a DD IEM but it would be just a simulation and would lack the feel, texture, weight etc. of the real thing.

Those who have kept up with the content coming out of Headphones.com regarding IEM measurements will know this,

Admittedly I do not, hence my earlier question. Part of my credo in this hobby is to encourage everyone to participate in it in a manner consistent with their own temperament and in a way through which they may find personal fulfillment. There is more than one way to skin a cat, and many ways to approach, assess and enjoy audio gear. For some, this involves fixating on measurements-- and I am happy for those who find this approach fruitful For myself while FR curves can be interesting to look at after the fact, I find the measurebator approach too dry, technical and ultimately unfulfilling. I'm not saying it's wrong, it's just not right or thus far particularly useful or interesting for me personally. It's ultimately the intangible things that stir my soul give me the sort of subjective responses I am seeking-- for this my own ears have proven to be the best and only self-sufficient measurement rig I need. YMMV etc.

PS - clearly there is an audience for and an appreciation of the work you guys are doing, so keep up the great work.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #87,427 of 88,326
Thank-you for explaining the import of the hole punch example. The way you've phrased the point here though has me wondering if you're suggesting that the fundamental difference between BAs & DDs can be adjusted for by EQ. (ie., poke a hole in the tip, EQ up the bass to compensate), which is something I have found not to be the case. I could see how one might use EQ on a BA IEM to simulate a DD IEM but it would be just a simulation and would lack the feel, texture, weight etc. of the real thing.

Admittedly I do not, hence my earlier question. Part of my credo in this hobby is to encourage everyone to participate in it in a manner consistent with their own temperament and in a way through which they may find personal fulfillment. There is more than one way to skin a cat, and many ways to approach, assess and enjoy audio gear. For some, this involves fixating on measurements-- and I am happy for those who find this approach fruitful For myself while FR curves can be interesting to look at after the fact, I find the measurebator approach too dry, technical and ultimately unfulfilling. I'm not saying it's wrong, it's just not right or thus far particularly useful or interesting for me personally. It's ultimately the intangible things that stir my soul give me the sort of subjective responses I am seeking-- for this my own ears have proven to be the best and only self-sufficient measurement rig I need. YMMV etc.

PS - clearly there is an audience for and an appreciation of the work you guys are doing, so keep up the great work.
There is a slight divide in this hobby it feels like - measuring technicality chasers, or music listeners. Something like that. With more words.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #87,428 of 88,326
I find the measurebator approach too dry, technical and ultimately unfulfilling.

Whereas I find the subjective prose quite unhelpful as I have absolutely no datum of measure as to what is being expressed through the use of such words, they are purely subjective to your experience of the iem.

Show me the measurements and I’ll compare the graph against my preferred target curve and iems's, I will more than likely use peq to tune an iem or two, I can then interpret what I need to decide if I will enjoy it, not taking into account iem size/angle/fit etc as these are purely subjective.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #87,429 of 88,326
Whereas I find an the subjective prose quite unhelpful as I have absolutely no datum of measure as to what is being expressed through the use of such words, they are purely subjective to your experience of the iem.

Show me the measurements and I’ll compare the graph against my preferred target curve and iems's, I will more than likely use peq to tune an iem or two, I can then interpret what I need to decide if I will enjoy it, not taking into account iem size/angle/fit etc as these are purely subjective.

I think this is great. Personally, I am after an emotional experience above all, so what I'm interested in when reading the impressions of others is a sign that they themselves had the sort of emotional experience that I am seeking. Cold, audio mathematics doesn't really interest me. That said, I love the manifold approaches and pathways people take in this hobby and respect the fact that your method and ideals are different than my own. My only issue is with those who posture that they know something I don't and that there is some uniform ideal of good sound or a singular approach that is right or best for all.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #87,430 of 88,326
11. Subtonic STORM
As someone who's heard both of these, how do these compare with the Ragnar? I've read a lot of Storm reviews and they all remind me of how I feel about the Ragnar. I'm tempted to seek out a demo of these or the Onyx or maybe try the MG5-EST. I just doubt the MG5-EST has the soundstage which is the most important differentiator for me.

The bass on the Ragnar is thunderous for me while combined with the iFi Go Bar. I'm wondering if I'm having one of those connections with my particular HRTF because that doesn't seem to be a common trait that others mention.

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #87,431 of 88,326
There is a slight divide in this hobby it feels like - measuring technicality chasers, or music listeners. Something like that. With more words.
'Listening' by looking at measurements is relatively new, pioneered by certain individuals in recent years.. the real divide is actually between those looking for perfect reproduction of sound VS listening to music (need a good system to minimize distortions/distractions) and actually enjoying the materials, talents, arrangements, techniques, etc.. it's been like this since 2-channel era, before high-end portable is a thing

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #87,432 of 88,326
If I were to EQ the radon 6, would I be able to make the treble and mids sound like the Annihilator? I’m not sensitive to treble and given what I’m hearing, the mids and treble seem more enjoyable on the anni(if you’re not sensitive) and the base is better on the Rn6 thanks to bone conduction. So EQing the Rn6 could give you everything?

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #87,433 of 88,326
Whereas I find an the subjective prose quite unhelpful as I have absolutely no datum of measure as to what is being expressed through the use of such words, they are purely subjective to your experience of the iem.

Sure. This is an approach like any other - it's your subjective approach to finding what's best for you. Graphs, to me, are just another language we use to describe something that cannot be fully captured in language. Personally, I have also found a lot of joy in discovering sets outside a "preferred target curve." I know, of course, what mine is, generally speaking. But my newest set, the Monachaa, lies outside my normal preferred tuning and yet I derive immense listening satisfaction from them. For me, I see merit in challenging oneself to "listen outside the box," as it were.

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #87,434 of 88,326
If I were to EQ the radon 6, would I be able to make the treble and mids sound like the Annihilator? I’m not sensitive to treble and given what I’m hearing, the mids and treble seem more enjoyable on the anni(if you’re not sensitive) and the base is better on the Rn6 thanks to bone conduction. So EQing the Rn6 could give you everything?
Wow I own both and hear the anni to have more high presence and slightly more neutral vocals. The extra bass presence in the rn6 gives a little more warmth to the mids. Anni has smoother highs but more presence. You can try cable rolling, I personally like the Cleo II Octa with the rn6 for smoother extended highs with a bit more sub bass extension than the stock cable. Definitely helps smooth some of the rough edges on the highs and makes the stage deeper.

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #87,435 of 88,326
EQing one TOTL to sound like another TOTL is a cool idea but they will never truly sound the same I feel as if they’re many of other factors at play

Users who are viewing this thread

Back