The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 21, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #87,181 of 88,428
No, not officially. If I had to guess though, I would say 80% of it would be the same as last year, with the other 20% accounting for recent new releases (Audio-Technica, RAAL, etc.).
If I take last year's setup and add what Elise Audio features then I'm missing quite a few of top players like Acoustune, Aroma, FlipEars, iBasso, Lotoo, L&P, Oriolus, Rhapsodio, Sony, Soranik, and UM that generate a lot of talk here. When do you think the brand list will be published?

Kind of have bad news for you @drftr
No more chocolate 😅
What??? That's a disaster! This was a fantastic shop, not only with very very nice people but also a great café and brand line-up. It's where I finally managed to demo brands like Elysian, Cayin, and Brise in my handful of visits. It's also the only shop that I had to enter barefoot. Should do that at CanJam :wink: Do you think stiff competition in the high-end scene from Singapore finished them off?

drftr

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #87,182 of 88,428
If I take last year's setup and add what Elise Audio features then I'm missing quite a few of top players like Acoustune, Aroma, FlipEars, iBasso, Lotoo, L&P, Oriolus, Rhapsodio, Sony, Soranik, and UM that generate a lot of talk here. When do you think the brand list will be published?

I'm not sure actually. The thread is usually up around 90 days ahead of time, so really it should be up any day now.

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #87,183 of 88,428

What??? That's a disaster! This was a fantastic shop, not only with very very nice people but also a great café and brand line-up. It's where I finally managed to demo brands like Elysian, Cayin, and Brise in my handful of visits. It's also the only shop that I had to enter barefoot. Should do that at CanJam :wink: Do you think stiff competition in the high-end scene from Singapore finished them off?

drftr
Just the cafe is gone hahha. Shop itself is still going strong.

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #87,186 of 88,428
I cable roll EVERYTHING to a Brise cable these days. Just love what they do to the sound of any IEM.
And what cable from them do you recommend?
Looking for a cable upgrade to the Canpur cp622b

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #87,187 of 88,428
Yes that is the one, I was stuck at prime, but it kept on returning some other dac.

Believe it or not, it wasn't the angled front facade that gave it away. It's because I know NuPrime (previously NuForce) loves to use those perforated dot matrix displays. :smile:

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #87,188 of 88,428
Hello all,

Catching up to share our small meetup yesterday downunder in Melbourne and is always a pleasure to catch up with this legends. This time we had @Damz87, @Yifang, @Bosk, @jaydoc1, @Joe Bloggs and Camille. Thanks to Addicted to Audio for hosting us again.

Some great talk and laughs as usual. But no group pictures. :p

I was personally more interested in testing some Amps with my Abyss AB1266. And what a pleasure to have a proper amp driving this thing. I simply got in love with Feliks Audio Envy (Walnut), such a nice texture, deeper low ends and wider soundstage. I wish I could get one now. :)

IMG_0892.jpeg

Frrom the IEM World

I had a chance to try the newer Trifecta version A2A had on hand, the rainbow one. I have to admit this one is much better than what i remember from the previous demo unit they had. Even being much better than before, still not worth the asking price. At least not for me.

Penon Quattro on the other hand was quite a surprise for me, it sounded really good and balanced for a 4DD. Good and textured lower end. Upper end detailed and expanded enough. It delivered more than what I expected when compared the price with Trifecta.

IMG_0894.jpeg

Also had a chance to try FatFreq Scarlett again, just too much bass that gets me dizzy. It reminded my MSE with Bass dial to max. Having said that, if you can/like that amount of bass, the rest of the frequency is actually not too bad. (I will have a full impression on this later)

From the Source World

I finally had a chance to try the L&P LP6 7AE and what a great DAP. Every L&P DAP is a new and good surprise. Sounding wise 7AE keeps that texture and smoothness from L&P with an all new level of details and soundstage compared to P6 Pro. Compared to P6 Pro Ti99 I thought they were on similar level of quality, but with a different presentation. It will end up being a matter of taste (and budget).

IMG_0899.jpeg

Just noticed that I don't have a picture of @Damz87 Lotoo Mjolnir. But I had a chance to try it as source to 1266 (why not?). It drives the HP ok, maxing out the volume for me at around 80% of Mjolnir gain. But the main difference was the leanness and brightness when using this compared to Envy or Broadway. But, that is a characteristic of the Mjolnir, so if you're into lean and neutral source, it is indeed a really beautiful and powerful source.

That's it...Not many impressions as the intention was more get the crew together for some chat around expensive gear. :)

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #87,189 of 88,428

Apr 21, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #87,190 of 88,428
Apr 21, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #87,191 of 88,428
Apr 21, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #87,192 of 88,428
There is not now and never will be a single "best IEM in the world".
correct, someone should tell the headphone dot com bros that tho

Apr 21, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #87,193 of 88,428
Apr 21, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #87,194 of 88,428
Apr 21, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #87,195 of 88,428

Users who are viewing this thread

Back