The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 20, 2024 at 3:37 AM Post #87,121 of 88,317
Very nice! 64 Audio dont really advertise much and their iems have a pretty good reputation among buyers so I'm sure they are great. Hopefully I can get to SoCal CanJam this year to hear all the high end and new things. We need to do another San Diego meet up before then if possible.

I’m in San Diego for another couple months, so if it happens, I’d love to try to join! After that I will be back in OC, which admittedly isn’t terribly far either…

Apr 20, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #87,122 of 88,317
DMS said in the video that the Mega5EST only works that well for him personally. He clarified on reddit that IEMs are way more subjective due to fit etc. and that he does not get any commissions or incentives to hype these, he just felt like sharing this experience.
As someone intimately familiar with being a reviewer and the kinds of responses that even the most well-intentioned reviews can elicit, I’m not gonna talk too much about this situation. Lord knows I’ve had tons of questionable takes in the past.

I’ll just say that if I ever compared an IEM - regardless of price, but especially one that’s $500 - to the Sennheiser HE-1, then published it on the official YouTube channel of a website that sells said IEM, I know what kinds of comments I’d be getting. :D

Again, regardless of how you feel about the review or the reviewer, and regardless of the intentions of said reviewer, if you look at it purely from an optics point-of-view…

1713599681528.jpeg

Apr 20, 2024 at 4:05 AM Post #87,123 of 88,317
As someone intimately familiar with being a reviewer and the kinds of responses that even the most well-intentioned reviews can elicit, I’m not gonna talk too much about this situation. Lord knows I’ve had tons of questionable takes in the past.

I’ll just say that if I ever compared an IEM - regardless of price, but especially one that’s $500 - to the Sennheiser HE-1, then published it on the official YouTube channel of a website that sells said IEM, I know what kinds of comments I’d be getting. :D

Again, regardless of how you feel about the review or the reviewer, and regardless of the intentions of said reviewer, if you look at it purely from an optics point-of-view…

I agree. :D

Apr 20, 2024 at 4:13 AM Post #87,124 of 88,317
DMS said in the video that the Mega5EST only works that well for him personally. He clarified on reddit that IEMs are way more subjective due to fit etc. and that he does not get any commissions or incentives to hype these, he just felt like sharing this experience.
And we just need to blindly trust it, oh yeah.

Apr 20, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #87,125 of 88,317
Was actually talking about a newer shop called Mirai 😅 SP is great as well, similar to Zepplin & Co, bought my VEX from there.
I wasn't aware of Mirai Audio - tnx! What a luxury to have FiR, UM, 64, etc, at your doorstep. Will visit them once I get back to KL for sure.

But these cost nothing compared to my wife and daughters horses, don’t buy horses. When I get back from my daughter’s horse show next week I can take a picture of my other Patek but my Lange was more expensive.
How about some great pics of your daughters horses then? They may be the largest pets on this thread, but hey...

drftr

Apr 20, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #87,126 of 88,317
Hisenior Mega5EST is one of my favorite IEMs under $1K, I recommend it if you want a tribrid allrounder with neutral warm tuning and okay technicalities.
Hisenior been sort of a underdog that few talk about, maybe due to the older models not being as good as the current ones. The Mega5EST was retuned and is better now, I use mine almost daily. You get a very good IEM for the $550.
But the popularity will probably change now after the headphones.com review.

1000032384.jpg

Neon Pro have energetic QDC tuning, resolving and fun. But no DD and only BAs, why I also sold it since I'm a DD lover.
Ascension is also a good tribrid like the Mega5EST, but different. Slower and more organic sound, in a way way less clean sounding with more textured sound. If that make sense 😅
No idea about Aehta, ordered one that is coming in a week or two. With switches it can go from a basshead set to more neutral tuning.
Thanks so much for the help! I think I'll have to decide between the Mega5est and the ascension. My current fave is the SA6Mk2, so I am looking for something that compliments it

Apr 20, 2024 at 4:26 AM Post #87,127 of 88,317
I wasn't aware of Mirai Audio - tnx! What a luxury to have FiR, UM, 64, etc, at your doorstep. Will visit them once I get back to KL for sure.
They started around last year or end of covid ish so they’re I relatively new. Not much IEMs demo even if they are official dealers for it. They also accept trading in old gear for new gear and sell the second hand stuff which are available to demo.

What they have is a good selection of ZMF headphones and amps to play with though, and the dude is one of the chillest people I’ve ever met.

Do let me know if you ever ever drop by KL again :D

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #87,129 of 88,317
A new take on an extreme portable setup- can’t believe this can sound so good on Bluetooth!

Attachments

• IMG_1334.jpeg
    IMG_1334.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1333.jpeg
    9.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 20, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #87,132 of 88,317
If you had a choice. What to choose, Fir K5, Xe6 or Rn6, who would make which choice? And I also read that because of the open speaker of the kinetic bass, my wife will kick me out of bed. This is true?
Definitely RN6 over KR5, imo at least. I also tried XE6 and found it to be too coloured for my liking. The Radon is an excellent all rounder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back