The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 14, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #86,581 of 88,351
In case anyone is looking for Black/Red Trailli. I'm doing a @jwilliamhurst (Second Odin, then second Bird and selling off both after getting them)

Had @harshkamboj not graced my ears with a trade for Fei Wan, Trailli might still be in the stable for me, I gave it a week but 1Z + Feiwan is just *chef's kiss* and when the only reason for keeping an iem is that it looks classy, it's gotta go.
Oh No! 😬

I’ve officially become a Meme! 🤣😂😅

Not a meme, a verb.

The Cooler now has two-- to pull a Hurst is up there with pulling a Scubi.

Nice. Great vibe. Sounds insane on the Trifectas.

You may enjoy this. Similar vibe...an entrancing, ethereal, hypnotic journey for the mind.

Sony WM1Z...I cannot imagine the statement this made when it was released as it is one of the best sounding pure music players I have ever laid ears on. No it does not stream, and yes it is a simple UI without android, but IDGAF! This gold machine simply blew me away the moment I pushed play. I bought this on a whim not really expecting it to be a part of my permanent collection but it is NEVER going anywhere. It is heavy but its small footprint and insanely long battery life make it an ideal portable companion. I do use the Walkman one Firmware but have only used it on direct sound. This is a musical player to my ear and pulls me into the enjoyment of listening, I get lost in the music and never analyze with this player and that is how I know it will stay in my collection and this metric is quickly becoming my one and only for what gear will remain. Bravo Sony!

Glad you're enjoying the 1Z. It's an incarnation of pure musicality and my vote for single greatest portable audio product of the last 10 years. I know you've moved on from it but I hope you get to hear Trifecta through the 1Z some day...it's a revelation. As is the Fei Wan IMHO...both are sublimely synergistic with the 1Z.

For me, XE6 and Raven are not evil headphones in a good way

This is probably the single most...metal...comment in the entire (almost) 6000 pages of this thread. Well done.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 2:01 AM Post #86,582 of 88,351
I see you have your Xe6 for sale. If that is because you are considering getting a custom, you can also trade in your universal with FiR audio, by way of ‘upgrading’ to a CIEM.
Yes, I know that. But it's just a little complicated, or rather: too complicated for my taste. Summary: there's a Fir Audio dealer in Berlin, but it doesn't want to take on the job because I didn't buy the Xe6 there and I would have to make contact with the headquarters. I would prefer to order directly from Fir Audio Berlin.

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:10 AM Post #86,584 of 88,351
Hey guys do you generally use silicone or foam tips?
I tried the foam tips provided with the Monachaa and they improve the discomfort I was experiencing with the nozzle, improve the bass but on the other hand the soundstage is much smaller and congested (seems to be normal).
Do you have recommendations for foam tips not having that much impact on the high frequencies? The with of the tip should be on the wider side (tested already smaller silicone one and they negatively influence the soundstage)

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:13 AM Post #86,585 of 88,351
Hi,
since I've read some of these terms several times now, but their semantics completely elude me, I wanted to ask. What does this sentences mean? I have no idea.

Sorry,
Joerg

"Scubi" and now "Hurst" are two terms that have been lovingly adopted by this community in reference to (and reverence for) two of its members, namely @Scubadevils and @jwilliamhurst. The term "Scubi" originated after @Scubadevils developed the habit of listing his IEMs for sale and then listening to them "one last time" and realizing that he didn't want to sell them, subsequently pulling the listing. One day @claud W had one of his IEMs for sale and then had second thoughts and declared that he was pulling a "Scubi Devils" and decided not to sell them. Ever since then we have used the term "Scubi" to mean an action whereby you list something for sale and decide afterwards that you don't want to sell it and pull down the listing. (I hope this made sense lol)

"Hurst" is more recent and seems to imply a situation whereby you re-buy a beloved IEM only to sell again it almost immediately.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #86,586 of 88,351
"Scubi" and now "Hurst" are two terms that have been lovingly adopted by this community in reference to two of its members, namely @Scubadevils and @jwilliamhurst. The term "Scubi" originated after @Scubadevils developed the habit of listing his IEMs for sale and then listening to them "one last time" and realizing that he didn't want to sell them, and subsequently pulled the listing. One day @claud W had one of his IEMs for sale and then had second thoughts and declared that he was pulling a "Scubi Devils" and decided not to sell them. Ever since then we have used the term "Scubi" to mean an action whereby you list something for sale and decide afterwards that you don't want to sell it and pull down the listing. (I hope this made sense lol)
Pulls out popcorn. This is some nice and juicy cooler lore. I assume pulling a "Hurst" after @jwilliamhurst is where you buy and sell the same iem multiple times. In reference to the fact that he has purchased the bird what is it, I think like 4 times if memory serves? Just trying to get a clear definition of pulling a "Hurst" for future watercooler clarity.

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #86,587 of 88,351
I tried the foam tips provided with the Monachaa and they improve the discomfort I was experiencing with the nozzle, improve the bass but on the other hand the soundstage is much smaller and congested (seems to be normal).
Do you have recommendations for foam tips not having that much impact on the high frequencies? The with of the tip should be on the wider side (tested already smaller silicone one and they negatively influence the soundstage)
Foam tips don’t work for me. The most comfortable without attenuating the spectrum too much for me is Eletech’s Baroque ear tips. If I want even more transparency, I use Divinus Velvet.

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #86,588 of 88,351
I guess it depends on your ears. Technically, if you prepare the foam tips properly and if your ears do not collapse the opening of foam tips, frequency response has only negligible change (see article by Tyll Hertsens https://www.stereophile.com/content/comply-foam-tips-and-effects-tip-selection ). The increased isolation can create the impression that the bass is higher and thus treble is lower. The isolation also reduces the perceived openness of the soundstage, which is partially created by leakiness of silicone tips.

I’ve been an ardent fan of silicone tips for a long time, but I’m in the process of “rediscovering” foam tips lately. I found that, at least for my ears, it’s not that the treble energy (and thus details and spatial information) is lost, but some sort of spiky resonance in my ears has been absorbed by the ear tips. This smoothening of peaks help reducing the masking effect, and the extreme isolation of foam tips further increase my ability to hear the upper treble details. This smoothening is particularly effective for the peaks between 8kHz and 12kHz, but mostly powerless against the 3kHz and 5kHz sharpness of IEMs like Elysian Gaea. As a result, yes, the stage does not feel as open because the leakage from the tips is much reduced, but the shape and the extension of the stage is unchanged. Noted that I need to turn up the volume a few notches higher to compensate for the dampening.

Anyhow, I digressed. For comfort, I prefer the round comply tips (the ones that look like balls of foam). I have been experimenting with some TWS foam tips from comply but the fit is unreliable. Almost no treble loss with those tips, though. You might also want to try Divinus Velvet silicone tips, which have similar shape and large opening.

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #86,589 of 88,351
"Hurst" is more recent and seems to imply a situation whereby you re-buy a beloved IEM only to sell again it almost immediately.
With all due respect, I think @Damz87 holds the record for rebuying and reselling beloved gear, so it should really be "pull a Damz" when you're reselling something you just re-bought. 😅

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #86,590 of 88,351
With all due respect, I think @Damz87 holds the record for rebuying and reselling beloved gear, so it should really be "pull a Damz" when you're reselling something you just re-bought. 😅
Sips on drink and munches on popcorn. Go on. How many times has this happened? Why not both? Could you not pull a Damz Hurst? Or I look at it as a Hurst could be a subset of a Damz where you buy the same gear multiple times but one specific item rather than a Damz which could be for multiple pieces of gear. I do not know folks. Just new little watercooler member trying to understand the lingo of this thread. In need of a cooler watercooler adult to advise me.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #86,591 of 88,351
I guess it depends on your ears. Technically, if you prepare the foam tips properly and if your ears do not collapse the opening of foam tips, frequency response has only negligible change
Another trick is to simply get some Comply tips and insert them the other way around.

That’s also why the new round tips have better treble preservation as there’s less foam foreskin to mess with the sound lol. They might make you insert the IEM too deeply though which isn’t always desirable.

The most treble preserving foam tips I’ve heard are the Sony, specially when it comes to air frequencies. They’re airier than the usual narrow bore silicone tips, in fact. The EP-NI1000 are out of the question as they’re discontinued but the EP-NI1010 can be found for cheap on Sony service centers (actually cheaper than Comply or Azla) if you can live with the dampening starting at 6kHz due to the wax guard.

This is actually a dream matchup for the Z1R as the treble becomes more controlled but due to the deep insertion they break so fast I feel this will harm my pension.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 3:37 AM Post #86,592 of 88,351
Funny you mention me, earlier this week I bought another IEM for the 4th time 🤪

1713080215321.gif

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:42 AM Post #86,593 of 88,351
Funny you mention me, earlier this week I bought another IEM for the 4th time 🤪

1713080215321.gif
There is a fine line between crazy and genius. However, I think @Damz87 rides that line and steers towards being a genius of giving you a really good audio deal with the eccentricity of the fact that the items you purchase from him are crazily still as close to mint as you can get without that new plastic wrap still being on the item itself.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #86,594 of 88,351
Pulls out popcorn. This is some nice and juicy cooler lore. I assume pulling a "Hurst" after @jwilliamhurst is where you buy and sell the same iem multiple times. In reference to the fact that he has purchased the bird what is it, I think like 4 times if memory serves? Just trying to get a clear definition of pulling a "Hurst" for future watercooler clarity.
It's all for the polls as Jeremy loves 'em more than anyone else. He's waiting for the day Jeff posts a poll asking how many times people have bought the bird, at which time he will come in first at 7 times 😁

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back