The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 13, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #86,551 of 88,188
Do we have any consensus on Cayin C9, worthwhile to pair it up with N8ii for IEMs? Considering getting it for my Atrium Closed travel use and Mentor (which doesnt require much power but may benefit from more?)

Apr 13, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #86,553 of 88,188
No problem, mate.

Favorites for metal would be Trifecta, XE6, Grand Maestro with Eletech baroque tips, Supermoon, Sony IER Z1R, Noble Sultan and Empire Ears Raven.

If you like a thicker bass like I often do, something that’s not lopsided in only presenting heaps of subbass, I would like at the Trifecta, XE6 and Supermoon. All three have their unique traits.

Trifecta is very sensitive to cable rolling and sources, and sometimes, cables. It can have a fat midbass and a bothersome treble with the wrong accessories and sources.

The XE6 is incredible for how large and engulfing its bass sounds but can sound boxy and muddy with the wrong tips. It’s treble is probably less of an x-factor than that of the Tri, but can vary in its airiness, again depending on tips and sources and cables.

Similar problems but their tunings are still very different. I would recommend trying them first. The XE6 is phenomenal for metal once dialed in.

The Supermoon I use spinfit double flange tips and it has possibly the most underrated bass in the business which works with metal because its fast, heavy, and memorable and also has energy in the higher frequencies for a more energetic presentation.

These would probably be my top 3.

The Raven is also worth a look. The Raven has the characteristic deep EE subbass but it can sound “one-note” sometimes.

The Grand Maestro is also very good for metal as I am discovering.
Super valuable information there Sajid, thank you very much :thumbsup:
Now I'm on the fence between the trifecta, the Xe6 and the Ravens; so far I'm leaning towards the Ravens :)
As for Headphones, would you say there is / are models you've heard so far that would give you the same impression on metal as the IEMs you mentioned?
Also, did you have the opportunity to listen to the SE300 from Astell and pit it against your Sony z1m2?
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #86,554 of 88,188
Off-topic but potentially very rewarding...

If you guys ever have some time to spare, I've found that it's nice to look over the various unanswered threads here on Head-Fi. As we've all been helped along our own journeys in the hobby, it's gratifying to help others along theirs. :slight_smile:

Some requests are pretty general in nature, but often times they can get oddly specific, requiring more specialized experience. As we're a fairly diverse group, you never know, you just might have the answer that solves somebody's problem, or unlocks a pivotal revelation.

Apr 13, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #86,555 of 88,188
In case anyone is looking for Black/Red Trailli. I'm doing a @jwilliamhurst (Second Odin, then second Bird and selling off both after getting them)

Had @harshkamboj not graced my ears with a trade for Fei Wan, Trailli might still be in the stable for me, I gave it a week but 1Z + Feiwan is just *chef's kiss* and when the only reason for keeping an iem is that it looks classy, it's gotta go.

Apr 13, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #86,556 of 88,188
Alright it's been a while since we've done any sort of survey. Now that we're 1/3 and two CanJams into 2024 what are the top 3-5 things on your radar right now?
1. Dio
2. Storm RE
3. Grand Maestro Anniversary Edition
4. Mason FS ST
5. DMP-Z1

CJSG stoked up flames for those top three. There seems to have been many more TOTL splashes there than CJNY this time around. The good news is there are release delays for most of what I’m interested in. Hopefully enough time to pamper the bank account!

Apr 13, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #86,558 of 88,188
Super valuable information there Sajid, thank you very much :thumbsup:
Now I'm on the fence between the trifecta, the Xe6 and the Ravens; so far I'm leaning towards the Ravens :)
As for Headphones, would you say there is / are models you've heard so far that would give you the same impression on metal as the IEMs you mentioned?
Also, did you have the opportunity to listen to the SE300 from Astell and pit it against your Sony z1m2?
Thanks again!
I listen to various heavy music ranging from Disturbed to all kinds of Obituary, Immortal, Shadow of Intent.In my opinion, XE6 does not fit metal at all, it is too soft and imposing, the same RN6 is much better suited for metal.Raven is controversial too, there will be too much bass for some styles.For me, XE6 and Raven are not evil headphones in a good way, RN6 with Anni23, for example, are angrier and more driving in this regard

Apr 13, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #86,559 of 88,188
Basically "good for metal" could almost be used interchangeably with "good for ME"
1000%. Whenever someone asks me to recommend an IEM that’s good for genre X, I tell them it depends on how they want genre X to sound. :D

Apr 13, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #86,560 of 88,188
In case anyone is looking for Black/Red Trailli. I'm doing a @jwilliamhurst (Second Odin, then second Bird and selling off both after getting them)
Oh No! 😬

I’ve officially become a Meme! 🤣😂😅

Apr 13, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #86,561 of 88,188
Alright it's been a while since we've done any sort of survey. Now that we're 1/3 and two CanJams into 2024 what are the top 3-5 things on your radar right now?

For myself:

1) Elysian Pilgrim Noir - Loved the OG, Noir sounds even more up my alley
2) Elysian Dio-- not really a potential buy for me, but I'm dying to heari it.
3) Melodic Artification Alter Ego -- This one was a show highlight for a very diverse range of folks-- I'm quite interested in hearing it.
4) iBasso PB5-- I'm not really a dongle or portable Amp guy but I might eventually jump on one of these just to try it.
5) An EE prototpe I heard rumours about along the lines of an updated LX-- anyone have any more info on that?

Although I purchased quite a lot of stuff over the past year, still quite hyped on a few things:

1) Elysian Dio - definitely a buy after a brief demo in Singapore, Summit-Fi technicalities for sure, with impressive / lush Mids/ Bass on top of the great anni treble.

2) The white silver flagship cable from a new comer in China, best pairing to my Fitear Creator after rolling quite a few other flagship cables. IMO definitely comparable to Saga, Orpheus and a bunch of other flagships.

3) MA Alter Ego - love it during my first demo in SG CJ, confirmed my buying interest during my 2nd demo earlier last week in China. Great soundstage, fun tuning with the excellent semi-open design and build quality.

4) Simphonio D-Max earbuds - Using the similar proprietary driver they applied on P0, and put it on earbuds, I like the resolution over the previous earbuds I have demoed..

5) Storm RE + SS8 - One of the best all rounders IMO. With the insane cable it just elevated the whole chain to next level.

Apr 13, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #86,563 of 88,188
Apr 13, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #86,564 of 88,188
Rn6 incoming! Finally pulled the trigger on it. So excited! Anyone know how the Mojo 2 is with it?

So happy for you! 🥳

IMG_2389.jpeg

It's pretty, pretty, pretty good. I prefer it on my Mojo 2 vs my SP1000, as it's more weighty and more spacious at the same time.

:musical_score: Know I'd make you forget about all of those rich f--kbois. :kiss: Kiss it off me. 🎶 If you're gonna break my heart :broken_heart: this is a good start. :kiss: Kiss it off me. :musical_note:

I’ve officially become a Meme! 🤣😂😅

It was only a matter of time!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back