The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 13, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #86,506 of 88,167
I guess I just don't believe a modern DD's response time is slower than any electronic pulse note you can throw at it. I am of the camp that it's not that DDs are too slow but BAs are too fast. I listen to a lot of electronic music on my Trifecta and Monachaa and never feel they are slow. They just sound better :wink:
But doesn't this somewhat assume that all modern DD's are the same? Couldn't some manufacturers prefer a 'slower' DD, or a 'faster' BA?

Apr 13, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #86,507 of 88,167
So I’ve decided on buying an Rn6 to replace my over ear headphones. Recommendations on portable amp/dacs?

RN6 are very easy to drive. Pretty much any portable DAP or DAC/AMP dongle can drive them. Is there a price range? Source signature – colored, warm, neutral?

On the portable end, there’s HiBy R6 Pro II, iBasso’s latest DX260, Shanling M6 Ultra, A&K R35. Cayin’s N7 was a favorite of mine with unique 1Bit DSD DAC. If you don’t need streaming, Cayin’s new N3 Ultra with dual Raytheon tubes for $549.

Warm neutral such as HiBy R8 II brings a lot of value for $2K and just north of that is Shanling’s M9+.

For $3K+, A&K’s new SP3KT very interesting with Dual Raytheon JAN6418 MIL-SPEC vintage tubes and there’s neutral resolving iBasso DX320MAX, A&K SP3K, Cayin N8ii (maybe too revealing for RN6). If you’re looking for smooth analog R2R natural tonality, there’s A&K SE300 and HiBy’s RS8 (my favorite). Then there’s Cayin’s limited edition N30LE and N30LE Amber Pearl (more resolving of the two) with triple tube timbre.

Personal pick, HiBy R8II followed by portables HiBy R6 Pro II and iBasso DX260.

Apr 13, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #86,508 of 88,167
I am of the camp that it's not that DDs are too slow but BAs are too fast.
That seems weird to me as you're suggesting BA drivers stop playing before the music does, while DD stop exactly when the music does. Not saying you're wrong but from a theoretical point of view that doesn't seem right. Not that it matters much because like you I prefer DD no matter what theory says.

drftr

Apr 13, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #86,509 of 88,167
I’m just doing a quick survey due to the negativity the Xe6 gets on mainstream reviews lol Wanted to know how the real ones feel because I love the xe6

In my experience there is not a lot of divergence of opinion amongst many of the most popular "mainstream reviewers"-- and what divergence there is is negligible. They all seem to be part of some Harman tilted cartel that is committed to an ideolgy which de-emphasizes subjective impressions & preferences and embraces the notion of some sort of universal target curve. This is fine enough for the lay folk who are content with Apple products and what may be found at Best Buy-- however for those of us at the niche end of the hobby who are in love with the artistry and possiblity of unique and bold tuning approaches (as found in IEMs like the Xe6, Fei Wan, Trifecta and others) it will never do. Just my $.02.

KR5 is definitely under-appreciated. I've no complaints of KR5 paired with its stock cable. The kinetic bass DD and the tubeless BA implementation provides the entire frequency range in a very satisfactory way to me to enjoy my music. What FIR Audio has achieved with their frontier series is unique and phenomenal. The presentation of music in KR5 is quite unique and distinct from the other offerings in the market.

I've Fatfreq Maestro MSE and I don't find the bass of FR5 lacking in any way or overpowering in any way. The impressions on RN6 & Xe6 indicate more bass than KR5 and that is quite something.

I agree that Kr5 is underappreciated. As someone who's never fully gelled with the Xe6 the Kr5 was my favorite of the initial Frontier series. I preferred it as I appreciated the more forward and clear mids, which I found more veiled and murky in the Xe6. The Rn6 is probably the best "all rounder" of the bunch but for me it doesn't quite give you the experience of the kinetic bass that the Xe6 and Kr5 do. Ramen.

Apr 13, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #86,510 of 88,167
If you haven't checked it out yet, The Black Keys' new album Ohio Players is REALLY good! Very good old school songwriting and intentional vintage saturated analog console sound to go with it. It has Noel Gallagher, Beck, Greg Krustin and even Juicy J in there. Mixed and mastered by the excellent Mark Spike Stent and Howie Weinberg respectively.

There's a song in there that is typical Noel Gallagher songwriting. Would love to see if you can figure it out without looking at the credits. I did! :wink:

cover.jpg

On a different note, went scrambling through a wildlife sanctuary 2 days back. Only got to see a herd of Indian gazelles, some rabbits and a couple of migratory birds but it was a great, fun ride with the Scrambler. It was supposed to have a pack of Indian wolves, foxes and hyenas too but I guess it was too hot for them to come say hello. :sweat_smile:

Bike Ride 1.jpeg

Zooming in on the beauties.

Bike Ride 2.jpeg

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #86,511 of 88,167
For me, the Ronin’s mushiness isn’t ‘cus of its drivers. It’s the tuning. Either it’s a bit rich in the upper-bass/low-mids, or it doesn’t quite have enough treble to cut that richness with IMO (they’re basically the same thing). I mean, that’s part of its romantic, lush appeal. It just didn’t work for me, personally, along with its massive footprint. :D

Everything has smoother, less bright highs than Ragnar. :p
Seems like you haven’t tried Rhapsodio Supreme MK3 😉🤭

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #86,512 of 88,167
A quick photoshoot of IEMs accompanying me on my travels.

Thanks for sharing Sajid; looks great!
I also watched most of your videos on YouTube about your favourite iems; would mind telling me which one of all the ones you've had the pleasure to listen to would be your go-to pair for metal exclusively? Trifecta, Jewel...?
Thanks again and keep up the excellent work :wink:

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #86,513 of 88,167
Xe6 for me. The Rn6 is a more down-the-middle IEM, which does some things differently, but is ultimately a sound that I’ve mostly heard before. The Xe6 has a lot more character, personality and soul to me. It reminded me of listening to a live venue’s PA system from my mixing desk, with the lows reaching you after already vibrating the room around you, and the mids and highs getting to you with a bit of room reverb. It’s a coloured IEM, but one my brain found very easy to rationalize. It’s probably my favourite FiR IEM to date.
+1. Xe6 is an acquired taste but once you understand it, it is unique and soulful!

I’m just doing a quick survey due to the negativity the Xe6 gets on mainstream reviews lol Wanted to know how the real ones feel .. Personally, I also prefer Xe6 Due to its unique abilities that I can’t get anywhere else
Xe6 takes time to understand. On first listen, you could be put off it.

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #86,514 of 88,167
But doesn't this somewhat assume that all modern DD's are the same? Couldn't some manufacturers prefer a 'slower' DD, or a 'faster' BA?
Yes, that makes sense. Tuning and tech I'm sure are quite different across manufacturers and IEMs... I don't want to be absolute about anything...

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #86,515 of 88,167
Anni23 soaking in some rays by the sea...
1000025717.jpg

Apr 13, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #86,516 of 88,167
It depends on listening volume too, I think. I’ve long wondered why I don’t mind the FW’s treble, despite typically hating any amount of treble elevation. I’ve since discovered that I listen at a lower volume than most people, and the FW’s extra energy actually makes it super engaging at those volumes, combined with its effortless detail.

I've found source selection to be quite important with Fei Wan. It's upper frequency tuning sits right at the edge of tolerable for me so a source (or choice of tips) that exaggerates or emphasizes upper end energy will render the IEM almost unlistenable. On the other hand a source that does not, or which tends to refine & smooth out the top end a bit (like the WM1Z) turn the Fei Wan into a top 3 IEM for me.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #86,517 of 88,167
Hey guys, I'm currently demoing the Oriolus Monachaa, and I really like it. Compared to the Szalayi, it's much more resolving, has a bigger soundstage, and very good bass and subbass.

My only complaint is that it can be a bit harsh in the treble and can sound a bit sibilant in some recordings compared to the Szalayi. Does this will get better after the burn in? The only reason I returned the Szalayi was the fit. The Monachaa is better (smaller shell), but the nozzle is comparable and is causing some in-ear pressure and discomfort after 30 minutes. Do you have any tips, recommendations, or other ideas to address this problem?
You’ve got to give it time. What source are you using? I found the E Pro Horns, Final E, and Velvets to work. The E Pro Horns were the best for my personal anatomy and tastes.

Apr 13, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #86,519 of 88,167
I guess I just don't believe a modern DD's response time is slower than any electronic pulse note you can throw at it. I am of the camp that it's not that DDs are too slow but BAs are too fast. I listen to a lot of electronic music on my Trifecta and Monachaa and never feel they are slow. They just sound better :wink:
The Monachaa has become my first choice for dense, complex, bass heavy techno and dub because of how fast and agile it presents this music.

Apr 13, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #86,520 of 88,167
Thanks for sharing Sajid; looks great!
I also watched most of your videos on YouTube about your favourite iems; would mind telling me which one of all the ones you've had the pleasure to listen to would be your go-to pair for metal exclusively? Trifecta, Jewel...?
Thanks again and keep up the excellent work :wink:
No problem, mate.

Favorites for metal would be Trifecta, XE6, Grand Maestro with Eletech baroque tips, Supermoon, Sony IER Z1R, Noble Sultan and Empire Ears Raven.

If you like a thicker bass like I often do, something that’s not lopsided in only presenting heaps of subbass, I would like at the Trifecta, XE6 and Supermoon. All three have their unique traits.

Trifecta is very sensitive to tip rolling and sources, and sometimes, cables. It can have a fat midbass and a bothersome treble with the wrong accessories and sources.

The XE6 is incredible for how large and engulfing its bass sounds but can sound boxy and muddy with the wrong tips. It’s treble is probably less of an x-factor than that of the Tri, but can vary in its airiness, again depending on tips and sources and cables.

Similar problems but their tunings are still very different. I would recommend trying them first. The XE6 is phenomenal for metal once dialed in.

The Supermoon I use with spinfit double flange tips and it has possibly the most underrated bass in the business which works with metal because its fast, heavy, and memorable and also has energy in the higher frequencies for a more energetic presentation.

These would probably be my top 3.

The Raven is also worth a look. The Raven has the characteristic deep EE subbass but it can sound “one-note” sometimes.

The Grand Maestro is also very good for metal as I am discovering.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back