The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 11, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #86,161 of 88,285
Speaking of discovery thread, I just dropped by and to my surprise, I found "HBB sound signature" mentioned. Since when HBB has a sound signature:), maybe through his collaborationns?
Probably just mean it aligns to his preffered measurement target? And most of his collabs are probably aiming at this.

graph (13).png

Apr 11, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #86,162 of 88,285
I am genuinely confused... In the last 2 days, there has been so many posts here complaining about WC thread, most vocally and repeatedly by @PixelSquish and @BS5711 who have issues with the content (flagship gear), the "regulars" (boys club), etc.
The solution is VERY simple: start a new thread (e.g. "The Cool Guys: mid-priced gear discussion. No boys club allowed") and hang out there!
Sounds like a much more sensible thing to do than hang out here, start fights with multiple people, and then complain that you're not being loved... :rolling_eyes:

Most people have the decency, dignity & self awareness to either adapt to the norms and vibe of an established community they stumble onto, or just quietly go somewhere else if they don't mesh with it. An unfortunate minority will whine, project and, passive aggressively or otherwise, attempt to poison the atmosphere of the place. In those cases the best recourse is to ignore and make use of the ignore feature.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #86,163 of 88,285
After getting advice here and from some of you privately, I purchased an Annihilator 2023. I love it! Thanks. It's my one and done... for this year at least :laughing:

As far as dongles and whether they sound better on phones or computers... I am using a Questyle M15. I tried it with the anni and my fanless pc, my s22 ultra and a raspberry pi streamer. Both the phone and streamer sound better than the pc. The M15 seems to be immune from phone interference unless I walk into the hills behind my house and reach the point where the cell tower no longer communicates with my phone. Even then it is almost unnoticeable.
YMMV

Do any of you use stationary balanced amps for iems? I am not interested in a dap. But desktop amp or amp/dac that works great with iems would be interesting. My amps are all single ended and bought for specific headphone synergy...

Apr 11, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #86,165 of 88,285
I also occasionally check out the discovery thread but it is just too easy get lost there: too many brands and too much are happening. However, I do get my Quattro there (or maybe from Penon thread? they are both started by the same person anyway) and I like it a lot.

Speaking of discovery thread, I just dropped by and to my surprise, I found "HBB sound signature" mentioned. Since when HBB has a sound signature:), maybe through his collaborationns?
In my experience with his collabs, the HBB sound signature is just mostly bloated bass.

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #86,166 of 88,285
Of course, I totally understand that but that was a long way from the essence of my comment.

And it was a comment not a complaint, I simply and politely suggested that the majority conversation here doesn’t match the apparent intent and that seemed to be evident from day 1.

I think the majority conversation being high end gear with a small group of guys that can fund a collection of multi Kilobuck IEM and cables etc is pretty well understood outside of the Water Cooler, I hardly thought my observation was anything new to anyone.

I have lurked here a bit and seen folks pop in and ask about stuff that fits within the apparent parameters of the thread to only be ignored. Why make it out to be something it really doesn’t seem to be and potentially misguide some folks ?

My point seems to be missed, I don’t care who talks about what here, it was just an observation but it seems a couple of folks can’t deal with someone outside the group querying an aspect of their favourite thread.

My only actual beef is being called a Tony With A T by the gentleman that also states that all healthy polite discourse is welcome and an A hole by his buddy.

They highly likely wouldn’t speak to me like that in person so why here ? I guess they wanted to be the “cool guys” here.

Perhaps a bit of perspective is in order, this is just a hobby and this is just the internet.
First, I found your approach at the outset to be exactly the opposite of polite, it was presumptuous and uninformed about a thread and community it seemed to me you weren't that familiar with.

Second, neither of us called you anything. I was simply saying that the primary rule in the WC, and hopefully most of society, is to not be an *A* hole. And since I don't know you at all, I would never label you with it, but some of your earlier comments had that sound to them.

I do apologize if I came off sounding as if I was calling you an A hole, I didn't mean to do that.

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #86,167 of 88,285
I think I have only two or three WC posts ever (maybe this makes 4?). But I have loved reading it, have learned from it and wouldn't want to change it.

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #86,168 of 88,285
I am genuinely confused... In the last 2 days, there has been so many posts here complaining about WC thread, most vocally and repeatedly by @PixelSquish and @BS5711 who have issues with the content (flagship gear), the "regulars" (boys club), etc.
The solution is VERY simple: start a new thread (e.g. "The Cool Guys: mid-priced gear discussion. No boys club allowed") and hang out there!
Sounds like a much more sensible thing to do than hang out here, start fights with multiple people, and then complain that you're not being loved... :rolling_eyes:
Agreed!

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #86,169 of 88,285
Most people have the decency, dignity & self awareness to either adapt to the norms and vibe of an established community they stumble onto, or just quietly go somewhere else if they don't mesh with it. An unfortunate minority will whine, project and, passive aggressively or otherwise, attempt to poison the atmosphere of the place. In those cases the best recourse is to ignore and make use of the ignore feature.

That isn't really how things transpired but I get that would be your take on it, only common sense and normal human behavior.

My comment was very simply that the name didn't suit the use. I also said that the TOTL guys needed a place and that was absolutely fine, no objection or concern.

My comment was very much about the semantics, I had no malice.

You and your mate took offence, and I get that of course, but I am not sure that gives you two the right to label me an A Hole and a Tony With A T. That kinda flies in the face of the polite discourse that you also spoke about I would have thought.

I support the idea of what you do here and I don't have any objection to what is talked about and if a boys club exists, they exist everywhere in various forms, seems to be part of being male. This has all gotten blown out of proportion following a simple comment that somebody misunderstood and here we are.

What I do object to is the hypocrisy of you stating polite discourse etc and then using the language you did as a personal attack on me because I dared query the name versus the use case as it seemed to me.

If you don't see the hypocrisy in your words about polite discourse versus your comment to me (that admin had to remove because it was outside the rules of your own thread for goodness sake) and you don't care that is also fine but how about actually owning it. If you think you are within your rights to call me Tony With A T just say so, if not how about at least acknowledge that wasn't really your ideal behavior.

I am not asking for an apology, I don't really care but I think we should own our own actions.

I offered a critique that most misunderstood, some folks had a different opinion on that and advised so politely but you and your mate see the need to verbally attack.

I apologise to the WC generally for any offence that I caused, that was not my intention.

I apologise to you directly that your saw my comment as some major criticisim of the community that you have encourage here, again that was not my intent.

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #86,170 of 88,285
First, I found your approach at the outset to be exactly the opposite of polite, it was presumptuous and uninformed about a thread and community it seemed to me you weren't that familiar with.

Second, neither of us called you anything. I was simply saying that the primary rule in the WC, and hopefully most of society, is to not be an *A* hole. And since I don't know you at all, I would never label you with it, but some of your earlier comments had that sound to them.

I do apologize if I came off sounding as if I was calling you an A hole, I didn't mean to do that.

Thank you,

I can't help how you took my comments but your description of what you understood I meant is not what I intended to convey at all.

You said, essentially, or possibly word for word .... "Don't be an A Hole" ..... with it spelled out a bit more fully. In my language (very much English) that really quite clearly says that is what you think I am being and by obvious extension what you are calling me, seems kind of obvious to me but if I misunderstood your intention I am sorry also.

Edited because I missed it earlier: You say neither called me anything. Rockwell very nicely "corrected" your comment and changed "A@@hole" to "TW@T" for you because you apparently had it wrong .... pretty sure his intention was to call me that, there was very little to misunderstand there, yet he doesn't seem to want to own that.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #86,171 of 88,285
Do any of you use stationary balanced amps for iems? I am not interested in a dap. But desktop amp or amp/dac that works great with iems would be interesting. My amps are all single ended and bought for specific headphone synergy...
I had great success with the Schiit Jotunheim 2 balanced as an amp for Annihilator, or the Asgard3 SE at my other stationary listening spot.

If you’re used to using headphones with a desktop rig, swapping to an IEM like Anni is an easy, and very pleasing transition to make.

Oh, and my ignore list just got a little bit bigger…

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #86,172 of 88,285

agreed. Which was my problem with some folks in here. Really didn't know much about this thread as I tended to focus on more specific threads on gear, for many years, and one of my first posts in the thread I got attacked personally for a simple opinion about a product. I responded, and then a small little gang/club were just a-holes backing that person up. Later on I found some of these folks have met in real life, and consider themselves friends, so they are completely biased. They got each other's backs basically. Since then I've had a bit of a chip on my shoulder with some of my posting, which I should resolve. But others have commiserated in my PM's. I don't particularly care nor judge that this has evolved into a thread about more higher end gear than not, there is absolutely nothing wrong with discussing high-end gear, though I do see a variety of subjects in here sometimes, but in fact my post that started the animosity I got to be part of, was about a particular set of high end gear. The irony.

In other news I'm looking forward to auditioning the Pilgrim vs the Noir version, and also trying the Anni '23 one more time with lots of tips to see if I can find this mythical bass.

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #86,174 of 88,285
Alright it's been a while since we've done any sort of survey. Now that we're 1/3 and two CanJams into 2024 what are the top 3-5 things on your radar right now?

For myself:

1) Elysian Pilgrim Noir - Loved the OG, Noir sounds even more up my alley
2) Elysian Dio-- not really a potential buy for me, but I'm dying to heari it.
3) Melodic Artification Alter Ego -- This one was a show highlight for a very diverse range of folks-- I'm quite interested in hearing it.
4) iBasso PB5-- I'm not really a dongle or portable Amp guy but I might eventually jump on one of these just to try it.
5) An EE prototpe I heard rumours about along the lines of an updated LX-- anyone have any more info on that?

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #86,175 of 88,285
That isn't really how things transpired but I get that would be your take on it, only common sense and normal human behavior.

My comment was very simply that the name didn't suit the use. I also said that the TOTL guys needed a place and that was absolutely fine, no objection or concern.

My comment was very much about the semantics, I had no malice.

You and your mate took offence, and I get that of course, but I am not sure that gives you two the right to label me an A Hole and a Tony With A T. That kinda flies in the face of the polite discourse that you also spoke about I would have thought.

I support the idea of what you do here and I don't have any objection to what is talked about and if a boys club exists, they exist everywhere in various forms, seems to be part of being male. This has all gotten blown out of proportion following a simple comment that somebody misunderstood and here we are.

What I do object to is the hypocrisy of you stating polite discourse etc and then using the language you did as a personal attack on me because I dared query the name versus the use case as it seemed to me.

If you don't see the hypocrisy in your words about polite discourse versus your comment to me (that admin had to remove because it was outside the rules of your own thread for goodness sake) and you don't care that is also fine but how about actually owning it. If you think you are within your rights to call me Tony With A T just say so, if not how about at least acknowledge that wasn't really your ideal behavior.

I am not asking for an apology, I don't really care but I think we should own our own actions.

I offered a critique that most misunderstood, some folks had a different opinion on that and advised so politely but you and your mate see the need to verbally attack.

I apologise to the WC generally for any offence that I caused, that was not my intention.

I apologise to you directly that your saw my comment as some major criticisim of the community that you have encourage here, again that was not my intent.
I do think your observations are valid. I come here mostly for the high end gear discussions and would skip mid-fi stuff which admittedly will get less attention in grand scheme of things. Essentially nothing wrong with that to be clear

At the same time I didn’t find any of your comments impolite, rather eloquent and respectful, and I struggle to understand where those attacks came from in your direction

Users who are viewing this thread

Back