The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 2, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #85,261 of 90,048
We're all looking forward to your famous pose with the IEMs in question in your ear! :xf_cool:

drftr
I’ll settle for the counter top. :)

Apr 2, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #85,262 of 90,048
“Fear of Flying” and “Without Stopping” have been studio test tracks for about 20 years over here and the vinyl reissue was done very well. I’m a big fan. Have you heard the R8II or N30LE in comparison to the RS8? Obviously, the N30LE is not a fair comparison in terms of output power and tube tone shaping possibilities, but with respect to solid state output, I’m curious about how the tonality compares? I had the N30LE, loved it, but I have a price to performance ideology (it’s my problem) and $5000 for a DAP, as awesome as it is, is not something I could live with for long. Again, my psychology… don’t expect anyone else to relate.

One of the things that really struck me listening last night with Turii Ti was how realistic and effortless the percussion in particular sounded, a truly immersive experience and one of the reasons Turii Ti has been a mainstay in my collection for about 18 months now, one of a select few I’ll never sell - or indeed even list for sale and change my mind, it’s not budging from my collection :) The RS8 is again the best I’ve personally heard in particular with my single DDs, just seems to be perfect synergy for my preferences.

I haven’t heard either unfortunately, there was at least one N30LE at the meet up last week but I didn’t get around to it… I know @armstrj2 did but can’t recall his conclusion?

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #85,263 of 90,048
Did you sell your Perseus cable which you used to have on your Ronin?
For sale now actually. Just loving the Ronins with the Monachaa PWA Ensembl. As for stock Ronin, it's similar to Eletech's Raphael in bringing some added warmth and depth to the Monachaas.

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #85,264 of 90,048
Compared to u12t, I can sense a bigger soundstage, much higher bass resolution, much more bass quantity, and slower decay on the bass (due to DD), and overall more musicality.

Compared to Rn6, I think the Volur has lesser bass physicality but I do prefer the bass in all other terms on the Volur. Volur has a more wholesome, enveloping (I felt Rn6's was unidirectional), and higher bass resolution, quality and quantity. Also, I much prefer the Volur's tuning as everything sounds right to me. I wasn't a fan of the Rn6's sweet treble tuning. The resolution on both I feel is comparable.
If the Volur had a little more treble presence I would have really liked it. I felt it was missing its top half, great sweet warm vocals, just became a little too tame like every edge was removed. Was always hoping 64 Audio would follow it up with a slightly more balanced version. Unfortunately 64 Audio kind of really slowed down on releasing new stuff.

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #85,265 of 90,048
If the Volur had a little more treble presence I would have really liked it. I felt it was missing its top half, great sweet warm vocals, just became a little too tame like every edge was removed. Was always hoping 64 Audio would follow it up with a slightly more balanced version. Unfortunately 64 Audio kind of really slowed down on releasing new stuff.
You mean a follow-up on Volür already? Thought it was barely 6 months old.

drftr

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #85,266 of 90,048
One of the things that really struck me listening last night with Turii Ti was how realistic and effortless the percussion in particular sounded, a truly immersive experience and one of the reasons Turii Ti has been a mainstay in my collection for about 18 months now, one of a select few I’ll never sell - or indeed even list for sale and change my mind, it’s not budging from my collection :) The RS8 is again the best I’ve personally heard in particular with my single DDs, just seems to be perfect synergy for my preferences.

I haven’t heard either unfortunately, there was at least one N30LE at the meet up last week but I didn’t get around to it… I know @armstrj2 did but can’t recall his conclusion?
Also discovered that yesterday! The RS8 is a perfect match with my new Nightjar Singularity!! it´s truly a match made in haven... i really prefer the RS8 with the Singularity VS my desktop stacks like Ferrum with wandla and TT2/Mscaler. It's crazy!!

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #85,269 of 90,048
Indeed - potentially a clever marketing tactic to get people talking, and a small few buying… then the usual knock on of taking a look at the regular version which presumably sounds the same and also presumably costs much less… that’s not to knock either demographic, those with the funds who enjoy some precious metal and stone bling, along with the great sound of Camelot, fetch themselves something quite unique!

Titanium is about as bling as I like, and usually as plain as possible… I’d love a mat finish carbon fibre set too actually!
P Diddy is probably using them on his Private island while he eludes the FBI

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #85,270 of 90,048
This might be controversial, I think that Royal Camelot looks rushed and untidy. This view is due to the unevenness of the spacing between the diamonds and apparent untidiness of where the faceplate meets the shell.

Compare and contrast to the symmetry here:

https://blog.64audio.com/beyonce-x-tiffany-co-x-64-audio/

Or compare and contrast to any actual luxury jewellery / watches

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #85,271 of 90,048
After almost 4.5 months, my CIEM Grand Maestro has finally arrived! Here are some unboxing pics.

I'll refrain from reviewing it until my ears adapt to the CIEM mould/sound (this is also my first CIEM) so I'll probably write something up next month (or never, if the Grand Maestro distracts me too much!)

Here's a one-liner review:
They sound incredible.

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #85,272 of 90,048
Sultan anyone?

Gold.png

drftr

Apr 2, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #85,274 of 90,048
Apr 2, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #85,275 of 90,048

Users who are viewing this thread

Back