The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 26, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #84,586 of 87,693
I want to use, or at least try out of curiosity, what the Odins are like on my Feliks Envy. Yes, overkill whatever, but it's a tasty amp. What would you guys use to connect 2.5mm IEMs to an XLR or 6.3 amp output? I can't find any adapters online that fit that.

1711484048689.png plus either 1711484105007.png or 1711484207398.png

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #84,587 of 87,693
Damn, a ton of helpful replies within minutes. Thank you.

BTW, I will post some Odin impressions on here. It might be interesting for you guys and maybe others seeing as I basically don't listen to IEMs normally. I can tell you so far the Odins are incredibly comfortable, but that's all I've been able to glean so far :) I NEED TO HEAR THE MUSIC!

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #84,588 of 87,693
About how much are they? I wouldn't mind getting a few extra to stash in various bags, just to make sure I never forget mine again. :smile: That has to be more cost-effective than having them overnighted to me for CanJams. @wazzupi @jude
My cost is $8/tag in bulk. Can do them for $10 plus shipping to cover any incidentals.

I would volunteer to run the program meaning order and distirbution if Headfi added it to the CanJam sign up form.

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #84,590 of 87,693
Next time you guys have a meet, let me know and I will get you a batch of watercooler name tags. Easy for me to get done quickly. Just need help defraying the cost.
Bro hit me up if you guys are going to make some for the CanJam SG!! Would love to have one hehe.

Mar 26, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #84,591 of 87,693
Mar 26, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #84,592 of 87,693
Bro hit me up if you guys are going to make some for the CanJam SG!! Would love to have one hehe.
Sorry, the final order has been placed and delivered for SG. Hit me up a month prior to the next show you will be attending.

Mar 26, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #84,593 of 87,693

I’ll add that Liquid Links Venom does well to tighten the bass, and provide more impact to Anni’s transients and treble extension than I had been hearing with the 1950s Shielding I had paired it with at home. Also the DC-Elite enables the power-hungry Anni very well off my iPhone 15 Max.

It may be so that this listening experience is heavily influenced by my mood of the day, but it feels like this chain is all I could ever need.
Just want to share some personal experience with the same combo, but I've noticed going from the default 0dB pad to -1 or -2dB attenuation on the DC Elite dongle significantly changes the Anni23 voicing, and I actually prefer it with the reduced pad personally. This is the side switch's feature, every click diminishes output by 1dB down to -4dB and then cycles back to the default 0dB

On default 0dB, Anni23 sounds very much like it graphs, but in a saturated and overdriven way. Bass is really powerful and with oomph, but lacking a bit of control, and the highs are more sharp.

As soon as cycling down even just 1 dB, it seems the DD unit isn't overdriven as much and feels more tight and snappy, and the general sound becomes less grainy over all.

Be curious if you have the same observations :)
Currently I also have both Anni and Z1R in my hands. I totally agree to your impression that the bass of the Anni serves the supporting role, however, I find the Anni's bass surprisingly good and satisfying, even more so than Z1R. Surprising since the reputation of Anni being the treble expert, my first impression of Anni is actually how good the bass is!

I probably need to spend more time to compare Z1R and Anni, but at the moment I found Anni much more resolving than Z1R, at least one level above.
@gLer Just to drive my Guy mad :)

You seriously need to get your ears on this set eventually!
It's why @TaronL made my profile picture for me! Two more to go till we have a full gauntlet and can level up with our first snap :wink:
But then you will lose me forever Seb :frowning2:

Knowing my luck, I'm guaranteed to be evaporated after the snap :laughing:
Water cooler if anyone has any reviews to the 64 Audio Volur please link them to me. Not trying to cluster up the thread. Was just hoping for a review of them following the Amsterdam meet up. If anyone has any impressions please share them.

Looking for something to replace my Noble Audio Sultan.
Volur is a special IEM as it's not an endgame unit for my personal preferences, but it's the IEM I have been defaulting to most often as of late due to it's generally flexible tuning and class-leading bass.

Volur's midrange tonality is great, but sometimes lacks the magic in texture that summit-fi units have. The main concern is that the treble is dark (low & mid treble) and upper treble is significantly boosted, so there's some tracks that suffer from it, and different users' ear coupling with this IEM will make or break it for them. Luckily the treble is very moldable if you're ready to do some tweaking. I had the pleasure of A/B'ing it with Subtonic Storm last week, and it definitely isn't as impressive or as realistic, but its bass is more authoritative and dynamic than Storm's & is the department where it clearly is more impressive to me. I also find it to have better macrodynamic contrast than Storm, but falls short in the micro-nuances, texture and spaciousness.

I can go into more specifics if you have any questions. I also have my ranking and rate it quite high as you can see. Especially considering it's an IEM that does not hit my preference curve, the bass quality is so outstanding, and the total package just works for heavier genres like metal, hard rock, EDM, Hip Hop, Rap, etc. It's my "fun" set.

Also notice how different Coreir measures, this tip really works magic on this set (as it does on Singularity) but not any other IEM's I've tried with. It "opens" up darker sounding sets. The tip fitment is sketchy and can get stuck in ear so be mindful of this.

My measurements are all with default M15, but I think M20 is just as good if not better most the time as it adds a 2.5dB sub shelf @ 125Hz. Main change besides the sub boost is a shrinking of width and increase in depth imaging, bit more intimate/focused and engaging sound. NF Audio and Coreir measurements were slightly more shallow fit.

graph (100).png

For those who have extensively heard Volür (@gLer?), would a 1950s (shielded/non-shielded) be too warm and also magnifying bass too much? Would First Times (shielded/non-shielded) have more control over the bass while adding a bit of airyness, definition, imaging, palpability, and dynamics compared to 1950s?

drftr
Before getting into cable matching, I strongly recommend tip rolling. These Tia drivers paired with the thin & long stem nozzle make 64A's very variable with eartips, and the presentation swing from one tip to another is much more apparent than any cable roll.

I use mine with the RN6 pure silver cable and love it, because it's probably one of the most dynamic sets I've heard, but it can be intense.

Vanguard 2-wire gives it much needed lushness in the midrange, but the overall character is a bit too dark for me at times.

Stock cable is a disservice to the IEM. Sorry 64A. This product should have been bundled with the Premium Silver cable - I think the product would have much more buzz if it sounded incredible out of box (which sadly it does not).

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 26, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #84,594 of 87,693
Mar 26, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #84,595 of 87,693
New arrivals at home - Fitear TG334 (4BA) and AlphaOmega RA (1 Beryllium coated DD, 4BA, 2EST).

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0502 (1).jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

Mar 26, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #84,596 of 87,693
Tour kits for E10 and E12 have arrived.

Did any of you guys try this at CanJam? What did you think?

Mar 26, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #84,597 of 87,693
Tour kits for E10 and E12 have arrived.

Did any of you guys try this at CanJam? What did you think?

I tried the E10 at NYC (I had heard the E12 in Dallas), I was quite surprised by the E10 bass response. It really did feel like it was "vibrating" the shell when it was in my ears which was pretty unique. I also felt the tonality was more agreeable compared to the E12, but I didn't spend too much time with it overall.

Mar 26, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #84,598 of 87,693
Yes, overkill whatever, but it's a tasty amp. What would you guys use to connect 2.5mm IEMs to an XLR or 6.3 amp output? I can't find any adapters online that fit that.
Ideally female 2.5mm to 4 pin xlr cable or adapter. Also any custom cable maker will easily make one for you, I’m sure there are plenty in Scotland. I’ve had such one made in Poland for 4.4mm, but it can easily be 2.5mm and xlr as well

Attachments

• IMG_5892.jpeg
    IMG_5892.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #84,599 of 87,693
Sorry for that loss honestly, I have lost 7 cats in my life, and every one of them hurt. Not to belittle the health of your father or your own health issue. We are not all the same person, there are really kind people here. At any rate just wanted to say that after a year like that I can understand why you are reacting this way. If I can help or you need someone to talk to please PM me I will listen.
Thanks Todd. You're good people (and same for everyone else who replied). A couple week breather helped. I'm not mad at anyone, it's just been a really rough year, and that sort of interaction still leaves me feeling bewildered. Is what it is. If anything, I need to reset my headspace. As always, appreciate people here being kind when given the opportunity.

Reputation-wise, I'm barely a footnote here compared to the big names (reviewers, dealers, etc), but for anyone interested, I've been working on a potential thing with DUNU. Will post more details here when I have them, but the short version is that it'll be a new flagship cable, a modified version of the one that currently comes with their Glacier IEMs (see attached pic, swiped from HiFiGo).
dunu-glacier-1dd4ba4est-tribrid-flagship-iems-hifigo-604613_700x700.jpg

Kevlar-wrapped, supple, and minimal microphonics, constructed from similar grade materials as their Hulk Pro, complete with swappable end adapters (2.5, 3.5, 4.4). This would, for all intents and purposes, be a special edition successor to that as a limited run.

The caveat is that in order to move to production, a minimum of 300 orders would be needed.

2 pin would be the priority, but the run would likely be split 50/50 between 2 pin and mmcx. As of now, the plan would be to put up a kickstarter in order to achieve funding. Pricing would be approximately similar to the current DUNU Hulk Pro (still very TBD, but think closer to a few hundred dollars usd). I'll post a link here when I have more information. I'm still going back and forth with them on colors, but I'm trying to actively push for red and gold (think a certain armored Avenger's colors). I would encourage anyone and everyone interested in this to register their interest in the DUNU thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dunu-discussion-impressions-master-thread.961127/

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #84,600 of 87,693
Epic post, Frankie! I must be Italian!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back