The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 7, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #83,101 of 89,803
Does anyone know when the new Elysian Acoustic flagship will be announced/released?

Kind of debating whether I should buy the Annihilator or just wait until the next flagship is out.
The only thing that is keeping me from buying the Annihilator is the somewhat lackluster bass that people are talking about.
I haven't actually heard it yet though.

Mar 7, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #83,102 of 89,803
Aah crap! Now I can start down the tube rolling rabbit hole! :rolling_eyes:

Decware OTL 2.jpg

Mar 7, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #83,103 of 89,803
Does anyone know when the new Elysian Acoustic flagship will be announced/released?

Kind of debating whether I should buy the Annihilator or just wait until the next flagship is out.
The only thing that is keeping me from buying the Annihilator is the somewhat lackluster bass that people are talking about.
Well, you already have a Sony z1r to cover supreme bass and the annihilators bass is not bad at alll it’s just not up to the same level as some other flagships

Mar 7, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #83,104 of 89,803
Mar 7, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #83,105 of 89,803
Aah crap! Now I can start down the tube rolling rabbit hole! :rolling_eyes:

Decware OTL 2.jpg
Congrats and Beautiful setup, Decware ZMF OTL is the perfect match with Atrium open, @HiFiHawaii808 moved his ranking of Atrium open several position ahead simply because of this new matching, please share your impression.

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #83,106 of 89,803
Congrats and Beautiful setup, Decware ZMF OTL is the perfect match with Atrium open, @HiFiHawaii808 moved his ranking of Atrium open several position ahead simply because of this new matching, please share your impression.
A brief impression with stock tubes. Liquid, expansive, detail presented in such a natural way. And bass texture like I've not heard before. Definitely a warmer presentation, but not in a gooey, or bloomy way, it just makes the timbre and imaging sound right and in a more open soundspace. And more top end sparkle than I was expecting from a tube amp. Not a great analogy, but it was kind of like my impression of the Orpheus; a darker presentation but somehow so detailed and expansive. Also, I am tickled that it makes my HD600 sound like a $1500 headphone! :smile:

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #83,107 of 89,803
A brief impression with stock tubes. Liquid, expansive, detail presented in such a natural way. And bass texture like I've not heard before. Definitely a warmer presentation, but not in a gooey, or bloomy way, it just makes the timbre and imaging sound right and in a more open soundspace. And more top end sparkle than I was expecting from a tube amp. Not a great analogy, but it was kind of like my impression of the Orpheus; a darker presentation but somehow so detailed and expansive. Also, I am tickled that it makes my HD600 sound like a $1500 headphone! :smile:
Great, for me, I just cannot made up my mind for this $4k tube amp, not including with the future tube rolling cost. I hope this is $3k better than my entry level Tuba amp.

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #83,109 of 89,803
Great, for me, I just cannot made up my mind for this $4k tube amp, not including with the future tube rolling cost. I hope this is $3k better than my entry level Tuba amp.
Yeah, it was a total impulse purchase, as I was innocently looking at the new wood ZMF had for their headphones! LOL. Not the best all rounder for a tube amp, I'm sure, but I think I think I definitely have my high impedence phones covered now and in the future.

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #83,110 of 89,803
Nah, the tubes wouldn't be that good. The PB5 is really really good. Much better than I expected it to be. Pairing that with 320Max, N30LE and RS6 is mind blowingly good.

Leave tube rolling to full sized tube amps so we can use 50-70 year old tubes to modify sound.
Do you find it has adequate power for full-size cans or do you recommend it more for IEMs?

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #83,112 of 89,803
Crossposting my impression for Supernova (https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/7th-acoustics-supernova.26433/reviews#review-33134)

-------

7th Acoustics is an Indonesian boutique iem maker, founded by Stephen Synanta in 2020 and has enjoyed meteoric rise since then. I first heard about them in 2021 when one of my Indonesian mates shared his glowing impression on SG8, one of 7A early creations. Early 2022, they released Supernova, their latest totl iem and once again, I heard positive reviews about it. I was keen to audition it but getting one for audition outside Indonesia was almost impossible.

Therefore, big thanks to Stephen and Denny for loaning this Supernova for Aust Tour and the tour organiser @Damz87 for this opportunity.

IMG_7056.jpeg

Supernova is all BA iems with 6x drivers. In general, it has a safe neutral tuning (with slight hint of warmness), however, it manages to be musically engaging.

Quantity wise, Supernova has a decent bass punch. It is impactful enough and capable to inject excitement on the low end of notes, but i doubt it will satisfy most of bass lovers. Unfortunately, it has typical BA bass texture that’s rather pillowy and plasticky. It is missing that DD bass slam. Moreover, the bass is rather loose (ie not tight) and not as well controlled as I would prefer.

Mid for me is the star of the show. Supernova has slightly more elevated lower mid which gives nice warmth in vocal that I really enjoy. Vocal is smooth and has that analog character – while still being authoritative and weighty. Male vocal simply sounds magical with it.

In term of treble, I feel like Supernova is tuned to be on the safe side, maybe a bit too safe. The lower treble is pleasant, it does not show any sign of sibilance or shouty. However, some people may find the top end a bit dull. There is noticeably lack of treble extension.

IMG_7059.jpeg
Supernova is a relaxed and organic iem. In term of speed, it puts more emphasis on a more natural decay, instead of being fast and clinical. Musical note edge is rather blunt, which is pleasant for long session listening but at the expense of being less precise and detailed. Indeed, my biggest criticism of it is the lack of refinement in texture and layering.

Comparison:
I do not have a lot of experience with iem in this price range. Closest one that I am familiar is Monarch Mk3 (Mmk3) that costs $200 more.
Mmk3 is a quite different iem than Supernova. It’s more energetic, with better bass texture. Having dd bass also gives advantage of a more natural bass timbre. Mmk3 also has better instrument separation. However, Mmk3 has noticeably hollow mid compared to Supernova, with more forward treble, drier and sounds more artificial.

IMG_7057.jpeg

In summary, Supernova is a superb iem. In my opinion, it’s the best iem under $1k for vocal. Its strength lays on its non-offensive tuning and pleasing sound presentation. Therefore, it an ideal iem for background listening during working/studying. However, it only has average technicality. Therefore, it won’t suit for critical music listeners.

With Supernova, 7th Acoustics has proven themselves to be master in tuning. I am excitedly waiting for their upcoming iem, Asteria which they plan to release later this year to which would compete in totl/summitfi iems market
IMG_7058.jpeg

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #83,113 of 89,803
Do you find it has adequate power for full-size cans or do you recommend it more for IEMs?
Yes, it is excellent with full sized headphones. I haven't tried it with Susvara yet, but I wouldn't want to drive Sus with it anyway.

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #83,114 of 89,803

I will plead the 5th on the first bit, but as far as Annihilator bass, it really is fantastic, and there is nothing lackluster about it.

You do need a source with a little more juice to get the most out of Annihilator, but once driven properly, bass, especially mid-bass, is rich and detailed, and delivers a very satisfying warmth that I find highly intoxicating.

If you have Z1R already, then as long as you are not expecting that level of sub-bass, I reckon Annihilator would be an excellent complement.

And while it's always better to hear something first before committing, Anni is one of the safer blind-buys these days, heck it just won a Watercooler poll the other day. If you're in The Netherlands, maybe check with @drftr about the EU meetup he's planning, you may be able to hear Anni there.

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #83,115 of 89,803

I gotta say - I think the Anni 23 bass is PLENTY. I'm not sure where people see it lacking. I don't think it has rich bass texture, but there's plenty of it.

I think Musicteck is demoing the new Elysian at Canjam this weekend. No doubt impressions will surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back