The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 5, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #82,951 of 88,352
Now after burn in, still in absolute awe by Annihilator 2023. A friend came by with his collection of IEMs (unfortunately only read only on headfi, yes you), been comparing Anni with Mentor, Mason, Fei Wan and Radon 6.

I listen to a lot of analog music, meaning lots of jazz, bluegras, folk, rock, metal and experimental. Ocassionally some electronic and hiphop but its like 10% of my playlist at the most.

From all of them we agreed that Anni comes out on top, while I really liked the mids of Mentor and the 3d stage, the treble region and the bass of Anni with burned in drivers, just puts them far ahead, couldnt enjoy Mentor as much as hoped to, especially directly after listening to Anni 23 highs. Same with Radon 6, its a great allrounder but nowere close in the treble to Anni 23, overall it was just bit too safe of a tuning for my liking. To be honest Anni made me appreciate treble more, usually it was something that did put me off since I am rather sensetive to the 8hz peak. Fei Wan was technically maybe even more resolving that Anni but ultimately too fatiguing fo my taste. Anni got plenty of energy already, Fei Wan had subjectivly twice as much. Mason while looking stunning (subjectivly one of the best IEM designs outthere) was technically not quite in the same league as the rest. What did put Anni ahead for me is not just the resolution and the treble, but the overall energetic but not too energetic tuning, great balance in the treble region, while maintaining very lush mids with plenty of note weight in the lower region. Anni just marries good tuning with great technicalities, which is a trait that I very enjoyed with my Traillii in the past and couldnt find that often with IEMs and over ears alike.

What I wish from the next Anni revision is slightly better bass texturing (the current is still pretty damn good after burn in) and slightly more mid emphasis, but as it is, its already pretty close to a perfect IEM. Very impressed after comparing to other totl flagships.

Only things I am really curious atm are Xe6, Trifecta, Raven and Amber Pearl. Maybe the new Mason FS. But when it comes to a perfect allrounder I might keep Anni for quite a while now. Considering Anni is often at half of the price of its competetion - its helluva revolutionary IEM in my books.
When it comes to resolution and treble anni is damn near as good as it gets so far
Glad the Annihilator worked out so well for you. You describe it exactly as I hear it, well done.
Now that I think about it, Anni is not remembered for the resolution for me. I don't know, but everyone praised Anni for that very aspect, but guys... I personally found it below the level of, say, Mentor, CP622B and Rn6 and others. In hindsight, I realize that must have been one of the reasons why I couldn't really enjoy Anni as much. The only strength of Anni for me was the treble section due to the fantastic extension. But texture was missing in both the bass and the mid range, and that was quite obvious to me.

In general, the impression was that the sound was comparatively too polished just without texture (or grain if you want), the microdynamics were lacking and so I interpret it all as "not resolving enough". Yes, great IEM for the price, honestly... certainly unsurpassed. But for me personally, it couldn't keep up with the big ones.

I think it's only fair that someone who is interested in Anni doesn't get the wrong impression. But to emphasize it one more time: this is of course my opinion.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #82,952 of 88,352
Now that I think about it, Anni is not remembered for the resolution for me. I don't know, but everyone praised Anni for that very aspect, but guys... I personally found it below the level of, say, Mentor, CP622B and Rn6 and others. In hindsight, I realize that must have been one of the reasons why I couldn't really enjoy Anni as much and it's funny that I'm only now realizing that. I never really paid attention to it. The only strength of Anni for me was the treble section due to the fantastic extension. But texture was missing in both the bass and the mid range, and that was quite obvious to me.

In general, the impression was that the sound was comparatively too polished just without texture or grain and so I interpret it all as "not resolving enough". Yes, great IEM for the price, honestly... certainly unsurpassed. But for me personally, it couldn't keep up with the big ones.

I think it's only fair that someone who is interested in Anni doesn't get the wrong impression. To emphasize it one more time: this is of course my opinion.

It may sound disapointing bud, but the Anni that came in from you was not burned in, the bass bleeded into the mids, was boomy and lacked any texture, so especially with electronic music, I imagine that you missed quite a big chunk of resolution there. If I learned something with over ears - dynamic driver needs a burn in, its mandatory.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #82,953 of 88,352
Now that I think about it, Anni is not remembered for the resolution for me. I don't know, but everyone praised Anni for that very aspect, but guys... I personally found it below the level of, say, Mentor, CP622B and Rn6 and others. In hindsight, I realize that must have been one of the reasons why I couldn't really enjoy Anni as much and it's funny that I'm only now realizing that. I never really paid attention to it. The only strength of Anni for me was the treble section due to the fantastic extension. But texture was missing in both the bass and the mid range, and that was quite obvious to me.

In general, the impression was that the sound was comparatively too polished just without texture (or grain if you want) and so I interpret it all as "not resolving enough". Yes, great IEM for the price, honestly... certainly unsurpassed. But for me personally, it couldn't keep up with the big ones.

I think it's only fair that someone who is interested in Anni doesn't get the wrong impression. But to emphasize it one more time: this is of course my opinion.
There are others who agree with your opinion on this, but I don’t. 😊

I think the resolution on the Annihilator is excellent. Are there even more resolving IEMs? Sure. When I compared it to Fei Wan the latter was more resolving but it was simply too energetic for my taste. The Annihilator for me is the almost perfect package.

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #82,954 of 88,352

In general, the impression was that the sound was comparatively too polished just without texture (or grain if you want) and so I interpret it all as "not resolving enough". Yes, great IEM for the price, honestly... certainly unsurpassed. But for me personally, it couldn't keep up with the big ones.

Anni didn’t click with you and that’s fine.. personally VE Aura is my true love but Anni is deff up with the best imo and I’ve had some incredible sessions with it! Enough to keep a spot in my lineup. Anni deserves nothing but respect such a legendary Iem

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #82,955 of 88,352
It may sound disapointing bud, but the Anni that came in from you was not burned in, the bass bleeded into the mids, was boomy and lacked any texture, so especially with electronic music, I imagine that you missed quite a big chunk of resolution there. If I learned something with over ears - dynamic driver needs a burn in, its mandatory.
Yes, it's true that my Anni didn't have burnin, but I don't know how much better Anni could have been in that aspect. From my experience, I would say that burnin does exist, but it doesn't make such a huge difference. Potential must already be there, but I don't think Anni had that. As I said, I only remember Anni like this, with no or very little texture and granity in comparison. Someone said the same thing to me the other day.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #82,956 of 88,352
I had Jewel around for a while, maybe it had slightly more resolution than Anni, but I cant say I missed anything with Annihilator coming from Jewel after the burn in. Its a highly resolving IEM to my ear with superb technical perfomance.

As someone who is used to detail and resolution as Susvara owner, I dont think its a perception issue on my end.

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #82,957 of 88,352
There are others who agree with your opinion on this, but I don’t. 😊

I think the resolution on the Annihilator is excellent. Are there even more resolving IEMs? Sure. When I compared it to Fei Wan the latter was more resolving but it was simply too energetic for my taste. The Annihilator for me is the almost perfect package.
Please don't misunderstand: resolution is there for me, just not at the usual level of other TOTLs I have heard.

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #82,958 of 88,352
Yes, it's true that my Anni didn't have burnin, but I don't know how much better Anni could have been in that aspect. From my experience, I would say that burnin does exist, but it doesn't make such a huge difference. Potential must already be there, but I don't think that and I don't think Anni had that. As I said, I only remember Anni like this, with no or very little texture and granity in comparison. Someone said the same thing to me the other day.
You will be surprised my friend. Burn in on dynamic drivers (and in case of Anni its exactly the region you had problems with) can vastly change the sound signature and perceived resolution of a headphone.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #82,959 of 88,352
Please don't misunderstand: resolution is there for me, just not at the usual level of other TOTLs I have heard.
Yes, I understand. I think it’s up there. It’s ok to disagree.

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #82,960 of 88,352
You will be suprised my friend. Burn in on dynamic drivers (and in case of Anni its exactly the region you had problems with) can vastly change the sound signature and perceived resolution of a headphone.
I have already had new IEMs with DD, I know how it changes with the burn in. Anni has DD for bass, because otherwise mids are BA and treble EST. As I said, not only the bass, but the vocals also lacked texture for me personally.

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #82,961 of 88,352
I have already had new IEMs with DD, I know how it changes with the burn in. Anni has DD for bass, because otherwise mids are BA and treble EST. As I said, not only the bass, but the vocals also lacked texture for me personally.
If the boomy bass bleeded into your mids I think you might have missed quite a bit of res there. It’s a common issue to me with ZMF headphones, especially with rather bass dominant Atriums, after 50 to 75h they sound rather different than stock.

I suggest to try a well used pair of Anni if you get a chance.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #82,962 of 88,352
If the boomy bass bleeded into your mids I think you might have missed quite a bit of res there. It’s a common issue to me with ZMF headphones, especially with rather bass dominant Atriums, after 50 to 75h they sound rather different than stock.
Yes, you may be right, although I didn't find the bass that problematic in this respect.

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #82,963 of 88,352
Honestly I wanted to put my Atrium Closed on classfields, the first week after receiving them ;D

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #82,965 of 88,352
Hm I find Anni more resolivng than Traillii. This damn subjective hobby ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back