The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 5, 2024 at 12:52 AM Post #82,921 of 89,222
Yes guys! I did hear a difference and I A/b'd them side by side with the same tips, same stock martini cable, same 320max ti source!

The Gold Anni was a store demo unit in my local shop and the differences were not something that I had to look for. In fact it was outright different, in the treble quality, bass emphasis and the mids. Now I am aware that Lee QM of Elysian never confirmed that the 3 different variants would sound different, so to be honest with you, I'm not sure what caused it, but I suspected that the Nozzle material (Ti vs. Gold) gave it a different focus on the FR. The most noticeable difference is in the bass, the Ti still has that thumpy mid bass that Anni is famous for, but somehow, the quantity of it is less than the Gold Anni and the focus is more evenly distributed with the Sub-Bass. Yes i hear the rumble of the Sub-Bass much better on the Anni Ti. So it sounded thumpy but more balanced and as a result the mids is also cleaner. Now the mid-treble has a bit more sparkle on the Ti perhaps a touch brighter too, but this difference is more subtle than the bass presentation that was more apparent.

But does it sound like a different IEM? no, it is still annihilator by all means, maybe if annihilator had a tuning switch, this could be one of the tuning option. Please do try to A/B them, i remember talking to @Smirk 24 who rebought Anni Ti and he said that his second Anni Ti is more sub-bassy compared to his first Anni Ti. So, I'm not sure what's going on here whether it's a variety of units or what but from what I know, it's not supposed to sound different... I still have to test this with other Annihilators to see if there are differences with other units too. But the most important thing is, I love my Anni Ti for sounding as it is, cleaner Anni with more sub-bass but still has lots of thumps on the mid bass, more sparkly treble, cleaner mids and as a result, it sounded more 'balanced' overall.
Thanks for these notes. I am surprised that there would be this level of discrepancy between the sound profiles of these two Anni 23 models (and what about the third version, stainless steel?). These different profiles should be part of the marketing, so consumers can make more of an informed choice.

In any event, I don’t recall there being any real difference in profile between the gold and Ti versions when I heard them non-contiguously over the past few months, but that is no A/B for sure. Curious what others are hearing.

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:52 AM Post #82,922 of 89,222
PB5 Osprey - First Impressions Part 2:

Stepped Attenuator: When I read about PB5 having a stepped attenuator I was wary since my experience with 320 Max' volume control wasn't the greatest.

Screenshot_20240304-195135_Instagram.jpg

While adjusting the volume knob, the L/R channels would cut out creating a jarring moment during the transition. With dynamically strong iems that would force me to make frequent adjustments, it would take me out of the engagement with my music.

IMG_2307.jpg

While PB5 is also using a stepped attenuator, it seems more tolerable. The travel distance seems better and there seems to be a healthy amount of "clicks" which each step gradually increases the volume. It's also nice to see that the volume knob feels robust.

IMG_2311.png

OG Tsuranagis knob was on the hand flimsy side. Another thing that bugged me was instead of a gradual rise in volume, audible volume would significantly ramp up in the 3-4 O-clock position above giving a smaller margin of room to work with being either quiet or loud.

Design:​

Screenshot_20240304-201612_Instagram.jpg

One of the things I found neat about N8ii was a cut out with its case to show Nutubes glow.

IMG_2298-1.jpg

PB5s case is a lighter green compared to N8iis darker turquoise. PB5 has a deeper case cut with all 4 tubes showing near the input, output and volume knob.

IMG_2292.jpg

The case is held together by velcro detachable from the side.

IMG_2291.jpg

PB5 - Built in rechargable batteries

IMG_2312.png

Compared to 475, the on / off switch and gain switch is on the opposite side of the volume knob. An advantage PB5 has over 475 is this makes it toggle-able without having to open the metal slider.

PB5 also has a USB-C behind the volume knob so for long listens, I could charge it with a battery pack so I can listen without the cable protruding out from the front. 475 and Sinfonina runs off removeable I personally don't find to this to be a con because I usually have reserve batteries on hand to swap out.

Sound Impressions:
IMG_2309.jpg

TGX Desolation Sound: Off Hiby R6Pro2 solo, Desolation Sound is a slightly bass boosted neutral Adding PB5 in pre, I get a substancial warmth and texture added to the signature. There's a substancial rise to the mid bass and lower mid quantity. Lana Del Reys voice is sweeter more euphonic. No complaints about staging. Coming from R6P2, it expands in all directions. The imaging is immersive. The reverbs and echos become more pronounced. This type of holographic immersion reminds me of my N30 demo.

Pairing: ✅️ This is a fantastic pairing giving the mids more liquidity and the bass more bounce.

Fir XE6 (Red Module, Ode To Laura): As some of you are aware, I like to configure XE6 with the leanest and most dynamic configuration. XE6 has a warm W shape. With mass Kobo 475 and R6P2, it becomes more of a V shape (while still remaining a W), leaning out the mid bass and inserting treble energy.

Pairing: ❌ While I liked what it did to the staging, adding PB5 in pre made XE6 sound too thick and smooth.

Mass Kobo 475 vs Ibasso PB5:

IMG_2313.png

Using the same two transducers as a comparison, what both amps had in common was note weight, summit fi staging (relative to daps) with PB5 being slightly deeper and 475, wider. While both amps added low end, PB5 is more mid bass leaning while 475 had more sub bass. PB5 is a thicker, mid forward, flatter sound with smoother highs. 475 is more V shaped with more aggressive attack, treble bite. Overall, I am finding PB5 to move transducers towards a more natural tonality while 475 is detail and dynamics focused.

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:03 AM Post #82,923 of 89,222
Thanks for these notes. I am surprised that there would be this level of discrepancy between the sound profiles of these two Anni 23 models (and what about the third version, stainless steel?). These different profiles should be part of the marketing, so consumers can make more of an informed choice.

In any event, I don’t recall there being any real difference in profile between the gold and Ti versions when I heard them non-contiguously over the past few months, but that is no A/B for sure. Curious what others are hearing.
There have already been some posts here saying that different Annis 2023 have sounded slightly different and had differently labeled components. Compare the pictures at MT, for example. It's certainly deviancy due to the build and other components that were used. This certainly has nothing to do with Gold vs Ti, but with (a lack of?) consistency in the production.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #82,924 of 89,222
where can i find more information on the 22-23 march amsterdam meeting? i cant seem to find a topic?
Will PM you tonight.

Are Brise 8W’s a necessity, or are the 4W ultimates a good alternative? I hold ergonomics high
I've only tried 3 Brise cables, but based on that I'd say ergonomics and Brise don't go well together.

There have already been some posts here saying that different Annis 2023 have sounded slightly different and had differently labeled components. Compare the pictures at MT, for example. It's certainly deviancy due to the build and other components that were used. This certainly has nothing to do with Gold vs Ti, but with (a lack of?) consistency in the production.
Realistically, if it takes months to produce a handful of IEMs we shouldn't expect production facilities and quality control to be 100% tuned. I would agree if you said the price would demand only very slight tolerances though. Because if not then demoing a different unit than the one you'd be getting doesn't make much sense.

drftr

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #82,925 of 89,222
Will PM you tonight.

I've only tried 3 Brise cables, but based on that I'd say ergonomics and Brise don't go well together.

Realistically, if it takes months to produce a handful of IEMs we shouldn't expect production facilities and quality control to be 100% tuned. I would agree if you said the price would demand only very slight tolerances though. Because if not then demoing a different unit than the one you'd be getting doesn't make much sense.

drftr
Yes, I agree. I just find it kind of silly that differences can sometimes be significant. I've read that in other posts. But it obviously can't be avoided in this case.

Mar 5, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #82,926 of 89,222
Great write-up, and that is an awesome looking Ti lineup in your images!

In this one comment, I'm not clear if you're saying that Anni 23 Gold and Anni 23 Ti have different sound profiles, is that what you heard? I had both in my roster recently, though not simultaneously so I couldn't A/B. By memory I don't recall a sound difference.
Good question wondering the same I did not know there was a difference
I spoke to @AxLvR about this as he was writing his impressions, and there’s reason to believe the Ti has genuine differences - beyond just unit variance - against the Gold and SS Anni ‘23’s. The Ti version has a titanium nozzle, which means the sound waves the drivers produce make direct contact with a few milimetres of raw titanium before reaching your ear canal. Because each material has different resonant qualities, that nozzle will absorb or reflect soundwaves differently if it was made of SS, gold or titanium, which is what causes the differences in sound. How rigid the material is will determine whether it absorbs (and reduces) the bass frequencies, for example, or how how much the highs ring and amplify.

This is actually an old tuning method called waveguides. It’s been used in IEMs from JH, Jomo, FitEar, etc., where they place a small metal tube at the end of the standard, plastic sound tube, so you get the resonant qualities of that material. It’s almost like a metal adapter at the end of the nozzle. In fact, the optional upgrade FitEar offered from the 335DW to the 335DW-SR was simply the addition of these waveguides. It wasn’t that long ago that Jomo released the Trinity with two nozzle materials - SS and Cu - and they measured ever-so-slightly differently like the Anni’s here. So, it genuinely does make a difference.

Mar 5, 2024 at 2:35 AM Post #82,927 of 89,222
Couldn’t hear any difference between Anni 23 and Titanium edition. a/b recently with a friend.

It’s a tiny piece of material with very similar density, it’s difficult enough to hear differences between woods on some ZMF designs with all the reverb in big cups, yet alone here.

We are speaking about different colour variants of the same IEM, not much else. Go with your preferred colour :)

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #82,928 of 89,222
It’s a tiny piece of material with very similar density,
So is the dampening material placed somewhere along the tube which is used to tune the earpiece :)

Mar 5, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #82,929 of 89,222
I spoke to @AxLvR about this as he was writing his impressions, and there’s reason to believe the Ti has genuine differences - beyond just unit variance - against the Gold and SS Anni ‘23’s. The Ti version has a titanium nozzle, which means the sound waves the drivers produce make direct contact with a few milimetres of raw titanium before reaching your ear canal. Because each material has different resonant qualities, that nozzle will absorb or reflect soundwaves differently if it was made of SS, gold or titanium, which is what causes the differences in sound. How rigid the material is will determine whether it absorbs (and reduces) the bass frequencies, for example, or how how much the highs ring and amplify.

This is actually an old tuning method called waveguides. It’s been used in IEMs from JH, Jomo, FitEar, etc., where they place a small metal tube at the end of the standard, plastic sound tube, so you get the resonant qualities of that material. It’s almost like a metal adapter at the end of the nozzle. In fact, the optional upgrade FitEar offered from the 335DW to the 335DW-SR was simply the addition of these waveguides. It wasn’t that long ago that Jomo released the Trinity with two nozzle materials - SS and Cu - and they measured ever-so-slightly differently like the Anni’s here. So, it genuinely does make a difference.
Couldn’t hear any difference between Anni 23 and Titanium edition. a/b recently with a friend.

It’s a tiny piece of material with very similar density, it’s difficult enough to hear differences between woods on some ZMF designs with all the reverb in big cups, yet alone here.

We are speaking about different colour variants of the same IEM, not much else. Go with your preferred colour :)
To misquote Mark Twain: reports of sound differences in this hobby are greatly exaggerated.

Always remember that and carry on (yes I just butchered another quote there) 😅

Mar 5, 2024 at 3:23 AM Post #82,930 of 89,222
Hi all,

I posted this in another section but it was recommended to me that it might get a bit more traction here.

I’ve recently joined the UM Multiverse Mentor club and I’m in search of a good pairing DAP for these beauties.

I normally use Chord products whilst at home but when travelling it kills my phone battery and it’s not quite so convenient.

I own a Sony NW-WM1A but …

I’d like to try a good matching DAP and I’m looking for owners recommendations please. The A&K SP3000 & Shanling M9+ seem to the top contenders but I would love to hear real world experiences and other recommendations please. Or is the Sony a good match.

Thanks in advance.
I found that Mentor synergies best with DX320 MAX TI - not only it would allow its technicalities shine at their maximum potential including BCD, but it also gels with MM tuning very well making it more balanced. You’ll get some boosting in sub bass, more linear upper mids and well extended treble while retaining Mentor character.

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #82,931 of 89,222
Are Brise 8W’s a necessity, or are the 4W ultimates a good alternative? I hold ergonomics high. Also, any one have any experience with Nightjar that has any recommendations?

Thanks for any input friends 🤙🏼
I think there are significant differences especially in terms of bass and technical ability between the 8w and 4w. However, so is the price, and the 8w is much heavier. But SQ wise I think there is no contest - absolutely no reason to not go for the 8w based on sound alone.

Although weight aside, the new Brise cables are very supple - a night and day difference between Shiro and Yatono, for example. Zero microphonics with the new cables. If you can handle something like Orphy Shielding then Shiro 8w is quite a bit better than that ergonomically.

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #82,933 of 89,222
Brise Audio (big guys) = ergonomics... :scream:
EA (same) = ergonomics... :sunglasses:

Mar 5, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #82,935 of 89,222

In fact, if you look at the Piano Forte series from Final Audio developed by the late Takai san, which made its debut more than a decade ago, the models in the series were made of different metals for different sonic characteristics: https://snext-final.com/en/products/pianoforteseries/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back