The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 3, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #82,771 of 88,414
Same here. And let's be honest, while it may not explain EVERY IEM buyer, but I'd imagine that a large portion of audiophiles will go, try for themselves and make a decision. This isn't like AirPods or Beats where some people will buy stuff just because their favorite celeb/athlete uses them. Then again I've seen Logan Paul rock an Audeze LCD-5 so....

I try to avoid seeing the caveman Logan Paul so luckily I've never seen that

Mar 3, 2024 at 2:48 AM Post #82,772 of 88,414
I try to avoid seeing the caveman Logan Paul so luckily I've never seen that
Pewdiepie’s worn Audeze headphones and Noble K10 CIEMs as well. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t endorsed and is just a hobbyist. I’m also pretty sure his target audience can neither afford nor are interested in those kinds of products. :D

Mar 3, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #82,776 of 88,414
You called for me, sir?

I'd sell my mum for a copy of Swordfishtrombones or Raindogs 😇

drftr
I got to know Waits music via a Noah Jones documentary. Mule Variations got a hold on me, and I start it with that, I'm yet to reach early day Wait (I'm at Raindogs, Swordfish is next).

Mar 3, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #82,777 of 88,414
I got to know Waits music via a Noah Jones documentary. Mule Variations got a hold on me, and I start it with that, I'm yet to reach early day Wait (I'm at Raindogs, Swordfish is next).
Mule Variations is very good as well. For his old 70s work there's an excellent sampler called Asylum Years. Those 4 together are a great start. Although I also like some of his newer albums like Orphans and Bad As Me. They're very good but not classics for me.

drftr

Mar 3, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #82,778 of 88,414
I think the opposite is true, and the pro marker will always be bigger than the enthusiast space will ever be.

DSC_3628.jpg

15yrs ago when I was was a hobbiest contemplating which market to focus on...

I asked myself, "How many people do I know that can play a guitar vs How many people do I know that own a smart phone?"

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Mar 3, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #82,781 of 88,414
There's some softears turi (black ones) on Ebay for £650 is this a good deal? and what's the sound signature like is it low in bass quantity/slam I'm very curious to try out a softears DD
Most manufacturer associate dynamic driver had to be somewhat "energized shouty" while Softears went the opposite way. Turii has still enough bass, with the advantage of dynamic impact but then in particular not that much more slam like balanced armature driver.

use a translation tool for that homepage from one if not the biggest chinese lover of the Softears Turri, that has a comprehensive guide about the Turii, published after that IEM was already discontinued and I and pretty sure also @blotmouse will fully agree with that being said

https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/595898264

@Scuba Devils

partial online transcription from above link:

For a new super flagship erebus that came out a while ago, my comment is that if you like the original line turii, you can miss the double loop eclipse, but you can't miss the erebus, the turii is like a loose and natural version of the erebus, and the erebus is like an improved quality version of the turii.

Softears Turii - NG Erebus - Melodic Artification Eclipse

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #82,782 of 88,414
I couldn't forsee TWS 15 years back, but they certainly have become a "thing" to be used along with a smart phone.
I enjoy a good wireless headphone (a la Audeze Maxwell) if only to avoid children and pets running along the cords, but there's a part of me that low-key hates tws. The tech is brilliant, sure, but I'm horrendously clumsy and always terrified of losing the damned things. I can't even begin to tell you how many individual misplaced airpods I've seen at local gyms. I'm ok with at least a single wire connecting the pair. Charging cases have become amazing, though--never thought I'd see the day when ~$100 tws sets had a case with a built-in lcd display for a battery percentage meter.

Mar 3, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #82,783 of 88,414
Most manufacturer associate dynamic driver had to be somewhat "energized shouty" while Softears went the opposite way. Turii has still enough bass, with the advantage of dynamic impact but then in particular not that much more slam like balanced armature driver.

use a translation tool for that homepage from one if not the biggest chinese lover of the Softears Turri, that has a comprehensive guide about the Turii, published after that IEM was already discontinued and I and pretty sure also @blotmouse will fully agree with that being said

https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/595898264

@Scuba Devils

partial online transcription from above link:

For a new super flagship erebus that came out a while ago, my comment is that if you like the original line turii, you can miss the double loop eclipse, but you can't miss the erebus, the turii is like a loose and natural version of the erebus, and the erebus is like an improved quality version of the turii.

Softears Turii - NG Erebus - Melodic Artification Eclipse
Awesome find, thanks. I agree, it's very special. You do need to swap out the included cable. Nice the author called the Martini cable pairing out specifically. I listen to mostly various rock/metal styles and modern indy electro with it. Glad there is a fan cult out there. They didn't make very many of them.

I haven't heard Erebus, maybe @Scuba Devils has already? I'll add it to my ever growing list of "need to hears". 🤘It has a bunch of EST's which are usually kryptonite to my ears destroying the treble immersion, which makes me more apprehensive. Hearing is believing though. Cheers!

Mar 3, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #82,784 of 88,414
Awesome find, thanks. I agree, it's very special. You do need to swap out the included cable. Nice the author called the Martini cable pairing out specifically. I listen to mostly various rock/metal styles and modern indy electro with it. Glad there is a fan cult out there. They didn't make very many of them.

I haven't heard Erebus, maybe @Scuba Devils has already? I'll add it to my ever growing list of "need to hears". 🤘It has a bunch of EST's which are usually kryptonite to my ears destroying the treble immersion, which makes me more apprehensive. Hearing is believing though. Cheers!

Erebus is my favourite set I’ve heard in this hobby and will absolutely buy a set at some point! It can have very occasional upper spice but a lot less than other sets I’ve encountered this challenge with and certainly not enough to prevent me wanting a set.

My impressions from last November, making me a bit tearful seeing them again 🤪

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ge-all-welcome.957426/page-4684#post-17816177

Mar 3, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #82,785 of 88,414
I went to the World of Headphones yesterday and had a chance to listen to some first class headphones.

Very few IEMs there. I saw Technics and UE. On the flyer it said that Custom Ears and CA was there but while I think I may have found them I heard most of the interesting CAs at HighEnd Munich last year and wasn't impressed (including the Trifecta) and there was nobody there so it didn't feel right to grab IEMs by myself.

Headphones on the other hand I had a blast with. Got my hands on Final Audio's D8000 Pro. A nice headphone but to me it didn't feel on the level of an Abyss 1266 TC or a Susvara which I hear it compared to sometimes. It definitely a great headphone.
Got a chance to listen to the Stax X9000 and SR-009 for the first time. Fantastic headphones for classic, blues, pop etc. Still good but not great when I threw Metal or Rock at it. Idk was still fine in midbass but below that it couldn't really reach. Also the bass didn't have enough impact for those genres.

Heard the Dan Clark E3 and Expanse. The E3 is really good for that price. Would recommend a liste. The Expanse even on a Zähl HM-1 didn't do anything for me. It just sounded bland to me.

Listened to the new Raal Immanis. Completely different experience than the other Raal headphones. I really liked it. But it wasn't something that I'd replace my Abyss with. Idk for the price that you have to invest it didn't feel worth it to me personally with my preferences. Someone else might just love them.

I saw some ZMF headphones but without any labels as which was which and me not really knowing the brand I just didn't know which ones would be worth listening to. I'll keep that in mind for the next time.

My personal highlight of the show was the Aperio. Holy cow what a masterpiece IMHO. It gave me He-1 levels of happiness just throwing different music at it and listening. Metal, female pop, classic. You name it and it just took it and handled it. It gave me that electrostat goodness but didn't disappoint me in the bass. It was just wow. It was paired with an Eversolo A8. I wonder if it might be even better with a better DAC. But even so it was exquisite. I would recommend listening if you ever get the chance. I might just drop out of the big headphone game and save for that one. 34k€ but it includes the amp. Very steep and I think I'd be really annoyed if they then released a new flagship just afterwards :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back