The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 2, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #82,697 of 88,400
Saturday evening now with the RS8 and Perpetua, a magical pairing with the right music and in this case the below album from Men I Trust absolutely hitting the spot beautifully.

IMG_1723.jpeg

Thanks for sharing the album, new to me and right up my alley. 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #82,699 of 88,400
There's some softears turi (black ones) on Ebay for £650 is this a good deal? and what's the sound signature like is it low in bass quantity/slam I'm very curious to try out a softears DD
Yes, from my perspective a great deal. Still one of my favorite sets ever. I'd pay well beyond list if I was forced to and frantically had to replace them.
If you search my posts in the Softears and Cooler threads going back a few years I can't shut up about it. :ksc75smile: Mids are the star of the show but has quite a bit more bass (slightly less mid bass) than Turii Ti.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #82,700 of 88,400
Highly recommend pretty much anything from Men I Trust - the below was my starting point, spectacular album.
Yeah I’ve just added a load of their stuff to my library for listening later, inc that album….those vocals….👌🏻👌🏻

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #82,701 of 88,400
I'm on an airplane, jewels are out for repair using A18ts. Trying to EQ some DD like slam into the BA bass, it's impossible. Tried everything. Don't know how you guys with no DD do it, and I have heard good BA bass, not close. I cant get the subbass to jump out at me like it does with Jewel.

This is what makes it sound best, most smooth analog, jewel like with better bass:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240302-135419_SoundAlive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240302-135419_SoundAlive.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #82,702 of 88,400
I'm on an airplane, jewels are out for repair using A18ts. Trying to EQ some DD like slam into the BA bass, it's impossible. Tried everything. Don't know how you guys with no DD do it, and I have heard good BA bass, not close. I cant get the subbass to jump out at me like it does with Jewel.
Surprisingly, but you can try Ronin for this, for example. They have very fast and snappy BA drivers that can actually slam.

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #82,703 of 88,400
Surprisingly, but you can try Ronin for this, for example. They have very fast and snappy BA drivers that can actually slam.

Its not necessarily about speed, over the years I've heard many that people claimed had DD like bass, none of them did. It's more about density, impact, weight. Tightening up the note, can see how that would help but I find it hard to believe.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #82,704 of 88,400
Its not necessarily about speed, over the years I've heard many that people claimed had DD like bass, none of them did. It's more about density, impact, weight. Tightening up the note, can see how that would help but I find it hard to believe.
It all boil down to whether you are okay with the sound. I found many BA set with acceptable bass. Sooner there will be people claiming that No BCD, no dice for bass.

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #82,705 of 88,400
I would think a lack of speed would be more beneficial for a more natural timbre. A slower rise plus a much slower descent compared to BA.

Funny enough tubes are almost doing the same thing.

drftr

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #82,706 of 88,400
It all boil down to whether you are okay with the sound. I found many BA set with acceptable bass. Sooner there will be people claiming that No BCD, no dice for bass.
I've found BCD tohave an effect across the FR not just Bass and yea, it is the future and a clear upgrade in every case I've heard it.

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #82,708 of 88,400
You missed my tone entirely. I do not honestly believe it's everyone's closet vice.
And I wouldn't pay a penny for the XE6, as evidenced by the fact that I have not. Does that make us even?
Didn’t think we were talking about Xe6, but if you don’t want to pay a penny for it, who am I to have any opinion?
If that makes us even, then even it is! :wink:

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #82,709 of 88,400
Don't know how you guys with no DD do it, and I have heard good BA bass, not close.
It's a bit like comparing headphones and IEMs. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses, or rather, characteristics. Trying to get the same sensations from BA bass as you do from DDs is simply not possible (and vice versa when it comes to the speed of BAs), just like it's not possible to replicate the larger driver physicality of headphones with miniature IEM drivers. Enjoy each for what they are, and if like me you prefer DD bass, just stick with that 🤷🏻

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #82,710 of 88,400
Get the pitchforkkkkkks!

That's true, but I probably won't be grabbing those second hand anyways. I notice that those also tend to slow down in terms of movement when it drops to that price.

Actually, the text says they use two BCDs from Sonion, so I'm assuming these aren't EE's proprietary BCDs. If memory serves me right, sonion BCD's work through the shell, while EE BCD through the tips, so it's going to be a different expedience. My bet would be on Raven still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back