The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 29, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #82,426 of 88,379
For that price I'd rather drop on a brand new Black/Red Bird.

Hey we shoved another BCD into Raven for AK after we royally ganked the actual Raven launch. No thanks.
More BCD = More Better
Right guys?! Guys?

Feb 29, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #82,427 of 88,379
For that price I'd rather drop on a brand new Black/Red Bird.

Hey we shoved another BCD into Raven for AK after we royally ganked the actual Raven launch. No thanks.
It's likely limited, and it will be 1/2 the price next year. That's how it is with AK IEMs, and even more so with . The 3kT sounds interesting though .

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #82,428 of 88,379

Short Impression: Quloos MUB1 vs. Questyle CMA18P vs. iFi XDSD Gryphon​

First let me tell you this - all three of them are terrific in terms of sound. Just different flavors catering to different preferences.

Quloos MUB1 is distinctly warmer sounding but not overdone. The stage is very nicely well-rounded, with appropriate proportions of height, width, and depth. Notes are slightly on the smoother side but details are not smothered. The bass is slightly more emphasised.

Questyle CMA18P is more neutral, but still with a hint of warmth. It sounds more resolving in comparison, with a more transparent midrange and bigger notes. The soundstage is wider but less deep in comparison.

iFi XDSD Gryphon has a different approach. If only the notes are considered, they are slightly smaller in comparison to the two above and may be slightly less smoother compared to CMA18P. However, the soundstage and separation are on another level altogether. This one sounds more musical than technical. Coupled with the xBass and xSpace toggle switches, it is superior in terms of customizing the sound output.

1000062635-01.jpeg

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:41 AM Post #82,429 of 88,379
!!!POTENTIAL SCAMMER WARNING!!!!

Dear Watercooler Thread and all other Headfi Members,

I recently posted a WTB for a set of Oriolus Traillii JP Black and Red as I eagerly wanted them.
While I was negotiating with other established members I was contacted by a new member who offered me a pair of standard Traillii JP.

BRIAN675

https://www.head-fi.org/members/brian675.584612/

According to him he is a new user but has a flawless reputation on US Audio Mart.

We talked for a while and he made a very attractive price of USD 2500.- and sent some pics of pristine Triallii JP.
His preferred payment methods were PP F&F and wire transfer.

We talked about shipping and his offer to Japan was so expensive that I offered using a MyUS address.
Since I generally trust our members I considered paying via wire and asked for the information.

The account was in the name of a company in Oregon although he claims to live in Canton, Michigan.
This made me a bit weary so I asked for a picture of the IEMs with a paper that shows his username and the date, which he did.

We even exchanged addresses and WhatsApp and everything seemed fine.

HOWEVER, to check if there are scratches or other blemishes on the shells or cracks in the nozzles I asked him to send me closeup pictures on a light-colored background.
Besides having various backgrounds I recognized upon closer inspection that the serial numbers on the shells vary from picture to picture which is a red flag.
(Previously I had even run some of the pictures through Google reverse image search but they did not pop up anywhere else.)

From my point of view, it looks like a fraud.
(I will attach the images here so that everyone can get their impression)

Is there a next step that should be done?

Best,

Dirk

Attachments

• 01.jpeg
    01.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    948.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 02.jpeg
    02.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 4c0922e5-e740-4285-ad6b-446137f254a2.jpg
    4c0922e5-e740-4285-ad6b-446137f254a2.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 0
  • accessory.jpeg
    accessory.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 2:04 AM Post #82,430 of 88,379

I recently posted a WTB for a set of Oriolus Traillii JP Black and Red as I eagerly wanted them.
While I was negotiating with other established members I was contacted by a new member who offered me a pair of standard Traillii JP.

BRIAN675

According to him he is a new user but has a flawless reputation on US Audio Mart.

We talked for a while and he made a very attractive price of USD 2500.- and sent some pics of pristine Triallii JP.

We talked about shipping and his offer to Japan was so expensive that I offered using a MyUS address.
Since I generally trust our members I considered paying via wire and asked for the information.

The account was in the name of a company in Oregon although he claims to live in Canton, Michigan.
This made me a bit weary so I asked for a picture of the IEMs with a paper that shows his username and the date, which he did.

HOWEVER, to check if there are scratches or other blemishes on the shells or cracks in the nozzles I asked him to send me closeup pictures on a light-colored background.
Besides having various backgrounds I recognized upon closer inspection that the serial numbers on the shells vary from picture to picture which is a red flag.
(Previously I had even run some of the pictures through Google reverse image search but they did not pop up anywhere else.)

Best,

Dirk
The pictures, which have different backgrounds, should also be noted.

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #82,431 of 88,379
The pictures, which have different backgrounds, should also be noted.
That's a good point. Anytime I list something for sale I do my best to use the same background for consistency in my listings so it's easier to recognize.

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #82,432 of 88,379

BRIAN675

Best,

Dirk
From the Trading Advisory on Classifieds:

Important Information

If you believe you have been scammed by someone, please report the classified or private message by clicking the "Report" link located on the bottom left of the post or PM. Please do NOT PM a moderator. Flagging the post/message sends it to all moderators at the same time. One of the moderators will then contact you if necessary.

Unfortunately I had to forward this to another member who got scammed last week. Please be careful guys.

drftr

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #82,433 of 88,379

BRIAN675

Best,

Dirk
New user with 0 messages, PayPal F&F/Wire transfer, price too good to be true.
Please use common sense next time.

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:40 AM Post #82,434 of 88,379
New user with 0 messages, PayPal F&F/Wire transfer, price too good to be true.
Please use common sense next time.
Yes, you are right.
He was quite convincing though, and there have been sales of the Traillii in that price region in the past.

On the other hand, me being naive might help everyone now.
(including me since I dodge the ball :) )

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #82,435 of 88,379
What is the #2 midrange IEM in everyone's opinion?
Currently, my favorite IEMs for the mids are 1) Amber Pearl and 2) Red Halo. I haven't yet heard the new Mason FS. I expect that one to be great.

Feb 29, 2024 at 3:19 AM Post #82,436 of 88,379

First let me tell you this - all three of them are terrific in terms of sound. Just different flavors catering to different preferences.

Quloos MUB1 is distinctly warmer sounding but not overdone. The stage is very nicely well-rounded, with appropriate proportions of height, width, and depth. Notes are slightly on the smoother side but details are not smothered. The bass is slightly more emphasised.

Questyle CMA18P is more neutral, but still with a hint of warmth. It sounds more resolving in comparison, with a more transparent midrange and bigger notes. The soundstage is wider but less deep in comparison.

iFi XDSD Gryphon has a different approach. If only the notes are considered, they are slightly smaller in comparison to the two above and may be slightly less smoother compared to CMA18P. However, the soundstage and separation are on another level altogether. This one sounds more musical than technical. Coupled with the xBass and xSpace toggle switches, it is superior in terms of customizing the sound output.

Thanks for the feedback...
I ordered a CMA18P didn't think it would be as close to gryphon in size (although Gryphon probably is much thicker ?)

From that pic I was not expecting this size... not sure if that's Pro Max or not here

1709194818230.png

Can you post CMA18P dimension?
They don't seem to be listed anywhere and I know @gLer is interested :)

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #82,438 of 88,379
Feb 29, 2024 at 4:36 AM Post #82,439 of 88,379

Yes anyone can open a new forum account. Scammers take advantage of the goodwill attached to forum community, eBay, Amazon, and so on. Personally I would only make expensive purchases if collection was an option, there is an established posting history and ideally that includes attending head-fi meets or canjams. I stress that is personally

New SP3000T DAP w/vacuum tube amp & EE x A&K NOVUS IEM announced - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ast...dap-and-novus-iems-at-canjam-nyc-2024.971884/

"The A&ultima SP3000T will be available in May 2024 at authorized Astell&Kern dealers worldwide for $2,999."​
"In addition to the SP3000T, Astell&Kern has plans for a more user-accessible product in the A&ultima line to be released in the second half of 2024, giving audio enthusiasts an additional option for high-end, flagship music playback"​

I interpret this as "if $2,999 is too expensive we will release a $2,249 option in the second half of 2024" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Joking aside I think the A&K range is getting quite crowded these days. The website say there are 4 DAP lines or 21 models plus another 17 models in the "others" (legacy) category

"NOVUS features a 6061-T6 aluminum shell finished in Diamond Like Carbon (DLC) with 24K Wet Gold-Plated faceplates and sapphire glass".​

I hope Empire Ears do not repeat the Raven gold faceplate drama!

Feb 29, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #82,440 of 88,379

Nice! I've tried all 3, have kept the Quloos, fantastic device. So much power, handles my Storms & Supermoon very well. Wanted the like the CMA18 because it looks like a really cool device, but power output insufficient. 100% Volume on Storm and around 90% for supermoon. Comparatively Quloos runs at medium gain, and there is still high and super gain!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back