The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 9, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #81,061 of 88,899
The ZX707 is $599 on Amazon and it's a shame the US variant is also capped as much as it is, because aside from being a little large it fits a lot of the design things I'd be look for if I bought something in that price range (4.4mm input, tactile side buttons, superb visual design, better long term support). There's always the option to import, but eh. I'd only ever use IEMs with it, but I just don't know if the power is there to comfortably hit a listenable volume with everything.

The R6 III seems like the only other one in that range that ticks most of the same boxes.
I have the uncapped version and dont have any issues with output on insensitive iems. And its very light and easy to manage in the hand. There is a thread somewhere that explains how you can uncap the volume limits.

Feb 9, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #81,062 of 88,899
Hey friends! I'm super excited to introduce Snow Frost from Erua Audio to my cable collection. It looks absolutely stunning in Snow White, almost like the white version of Orpheus! :gs1000smile:

IMG_3585.jpeg

I had the chance to demo this little white monster during my trip to Taiwan a few months ago, and it really surprised me in a pleasant way. It was enough for me to make the decision to purchase one for myself. Being a pure silver cable, it doesn't have the bright and analytical vibes that I've experienced with other silver cables. Instead, it has a lush and organic vocal presentation that I find really appealing. It also tames and smooths out the treble edges, while still retaining the detailed characteristics that silver cables are known for.

I've tried the cable with various IEMs, and out of all of them, I found the best pairing with my Nodachi. When paired with the Nodachi and Azla Max ASMR tips, and driven by the P6Pro Ti, it creates a combination that is the best I've heard for female vocal tracks, especially Mandarin/JPOP songs or ballads. The lushness and texture of the vocals are simply amazing. You can hear the breathing and whispers in such a detailed way, while the controlled sibilance prevents any fatigue.

IMG_3570.jpeg

I quickly demoed the Shirogane 8W a few times in the past, and from what I remember, I can confirm that they complement each other well. The Shirogane 8W adds a bit more resolution and thickness to the sound, while the Snow Frost has a specially tuned midrange. It ultimately comes down to specific pairings with different IEMs to find the perfect combination. Personally, I prefer the Viking Prestige on the Shirogane more than on the Snow Frost though.

When comparing it to the Orpheus shielding that I previously owned (and just sold), I noticed that both cables have well-tuned mids, but the Snow Frost has a bit more details as compared to Orpheus's soundstage and fullness. However, they both have that analog charm that I love.

In comparison to the BeatAudio Orbitsaga, the holographic soundstage and bass energy of the Orbitsaga are still unmatched. However, I found the mids on the Snow Frost to be more emotional, and I prefer using the Nodachi with the Snow Frost rather than the Orbitsaga.

Overall, Snow Frost is definitely a great TOTL cable. The only downside is that it's quite obvious that you need to be extra careful to keep its white color intact. I wouldn't want it to turn yellow after a few years! :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

IMG_3579.jpegIMG_3580.jpeg
How much is the cable?

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #81,063 of 88,899
Kinera and Fir are both very nice indeed.. but check these out!

Soranik:
65RxeRU.jpegdownload - 2024-02-09T154002.665.jpeg

Kumitate Lab:
1707467522987.jpg1707467522851.jpg

JH Audio:
JH-Jolene-Tease-2-S.jpeg
Photo Credit to our one and only @Deezel177

Screen Shot 2024-02-09 at 3.27.08 pm.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-09 at 3.28.27 pm.png

Fitear:
FPMCMcfaIAwOqah.jpegEbQcNOBXkAA4L8t.jpeg
I love when JH craftsmanship is recognised. :)

My babyLayla's are still the most well made IEM I ever had.

IMG_0007.jpeg

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #81,064 of 88,899
Feb 10, 2024 at 12:25 AM Post #81,065 of 88,899
Feb 10, 2024 at 2:41 AM Post #81,066 of 88,899
I have the uncapped version and dont have any issues with output on insensitive iems. And its very light and easy to manage in the hand. There is a thread somewhere that explains how you can uncap the volume limits.
Only the non Android first generation can be uncapped. This uses the Rockbox tool to change the Region Code, which is what controls the cap/uncap.
So far, nobody has a method for uncapping an Android based Walkman.

Feb 10, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #81,067 of 88,899
The ZX707 is $599 on Amazon and it's a shame the US variant is also capped as much as it is, because aside from being a little large it fits a lot of the design things I'd be look for if I bought something in that price range (4.4mm input, tactile side buttons, superb visual design, better long term support). There's always the option to import, but eh. I'd only ever use IEMs with it, but I just don't know if the power is there to comfortably hit a listenable volume with everything.

The R6 III seems like the only other one in that range that ticks most of the same boxes.
There will definitely be problems driving some IEMs. The issue is that the lack of power can affect the dynamics, and other things, even if there is enough volume. Some people are fine with that. Others are not. Depends on your demands, whether it is OK. The safest option, for a little more work, is to get an uncapped version.
Capped versions are models from the following countries/regions: EU, US, Canada, Singapore

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #81,070 of 88,899
They're identical in function. If anything the tiny ones would be less effective.
Aren't they in 2 dB increments? The XS are 1dB from each other IIRC

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #81,075 of 88,899
A quick question regarding current IEM market.

Recently got a Traillii, Bein late to the party, absolutely in love with the thing. Reminds me a lot of telaxed midrange monster ZMF Atrium, but with far better resolution and seperation.

Not feeling like I am missing anything while I listen to Traillii but my loaner Jewel is different enough to consider buying it. While not as lush and intoxicating in the mids as Traillii, It has higher res, even better layering and a lot of air between the notes. Still even with slightly brighter tonality it feels a bit like the same „family“ as Traillii.

I am wondering if you could advice to another complimentary totl IEM.
What I currently have on my radar is the Mentor, Trifecta, and Raven. Maybe Xe6 but from what I read I am not sure the tonality of that one comes together that well.

I usually prefer allroundish sound, my taste is rather eclectic, but I adore stuff that can render metal and rock well, that’s why I am considering a Trifecta. Both Jewel and Traillii are great for that, but I suspect with stronger bass things could get even better.

So yeah happy about any advice. Maybe I just should stick to Jewel, the thing is simply great with so many genres especially with FTs. Perfect for analytical listen too. And get Trifecta/ Raven / Xe 6 later down the road..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back