The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 30, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #80,236 of 91,280
That Market is also no more.
I grew up around there and the market was my favourite place! It is indeed a shame that it is no more. The was a kopi tiam where McD's is in the picture. I remember the old provision shop adjacent to McD. The barber I was referring to was a few doors from there. There was two barbar's side-by-side. One was as chinese barber and the other was an indian barber!

1706671444065.png

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #80,237 of 91,280
I grew up around there and the market was my favourite place! It is indeed a shame that it is no more. The was a kopi tiam where McD's is in the picture. I remember the old provision shop adjacent to McD. The barber I was referring to was a few doors from there. There was two barbar's side-by-side. One was as chinese barber and the other was an indian barber!

1706671444065.png
I have not lived in that part of the island. The market had always been a stop-along-the-way kind of place that I visited as a young working adult. It has its charm, and like many places that are no more such as Borders, I’ve always wished to be able to take the day off and just lepak there for the morning or afternoon. Never had the chance before it was gone. We lead a very busy life. Hobbies such as this provide a nice distraction.

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #80,238 of 91,280
Would honestly like to read your impressions of the Rhapsodio, is it a Supreme Mkxx? I had acquainted Sammy back in 2017, while I was still into over ear headphones and just started to dive into the deep depths of IEMs. Back then I approached him for some affordable cables to be terminated in 4.4 balanced, as they were then recently release and had yet to gain widespread adaptation we see today.

My impression of his brand’s tuning based upon what I had heard in the past is focused primarily on female vocals, with distinctive instrumental separation to provide a sense of wide space and staging. Though it has been a while since I heard his latest offerings, as Rhapsodio does not seem to be as popular locally in HK as aboard like in Taiwan and Japan (based on some previous conversations with Sammy).
Anyway, it is good to see his stuff reach *your hands in North America, and I hope that he can connect with the community there.

*edited for spelling

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #80,239 of 91,280
On a completely different topic, gotta ask fellow Watercoolers if anybody experienced the same problem...

Last week, on Thursday, I went to see ENT doctor. Turns out the periodic pressure I have been feeling in my left ear is probably caused by my TMJ. And while being at the office, the doc checked my ears and asked me if I want him to clean my earwax build up. I have done it in the past when they used one of those scoopers, but never a suction vac. Agreed to go for it (the vac), but then later that day felt a bit dizzy. I thought maybe I was dehydrated. The same on Friday, a bit dizzy, but in general I was still feeling OK. Later that day on Friday after a workout, I started to feel more dizzy, and by Saturday morning it turned into a full blown vertigo condition :frowning2:

Now, 3 days later, I have been feeling like a zombie with room spinning around until I sit down, and feeling dizzy as I'm walking around. Called ENT doctor, going to see him tomorrow morning, but they mentioned something about my inner ear crystals being out of place. Anybody experienced anything like that? Especially after getting your ears "vacuumed"? And for those who did, was it related to "crystals" and how did it get fixed?

Sounds very similar to when you get hit in the ear and lose your balance.

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #80,240 of 91,280
Had my first listen with the Vortex cables - Lavinia, Alida and Seraphina.

These impressions are a part of private tour hosted by Vortex Cables and @Natesdailies 🙏🏼

Good cables for the money. Very well built but can be a bit stiff for some (majorly around the ear hooks). But definitely built to last.

As Nate mentioned, these all cables are majorly sub-bass focused. One of things I like about 3 cables is that the background is pitch black. My preference is same as how they are priced. Lavinia > Alida > Seraphina.

My source is SP3000 and my iem for the listening was MM.

Seraphina- Well made, mid and sub bass focused, not clean though. Less treble energy compared to Alida. But not a lot of difference with Alida.

Alida - Well made, mids focused. Sub bass hits hard but not clean.

Lavinia- Best stage. More balanced, more detailed. Standout of the 3.

Attachments

• 20240129_133425.jpg
    20240129_133425.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240129_111255.jpg
    20240129_111255.jpg
    9.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 30, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #80,241 of 91,280
I remain flabergasted at the performance of Centurion, still glad I didn't pay retail and honestly few should but this cable has elevated my Jewel so much. The difference is as profound as The Orpheus. Can't believe my setup was so bottlenecked before, terrible. I gotta hear Fei Wan now.

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #80,242 of 91,280
Indeed it is and it is so nice. The actual solo violin piece is oven more jaw dropping!

Ah yeah, Bach’s Chaconne

On a single staff, for a small instrument, the man writes a whole world of the deepest thoughts and the most powerful feelings. If I were to imagine how I might have made, conceived the piece, I know for certain that the overwhelming excitement and awe would have driven me mad. - Johannes Brahms

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #80,243 of 91,280
Jan 30, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #80,244 of 91,280
On a completely different topic, gotta ask fellow Watercoolers if anybody experienced the same problem...

Last week, on Thursday, I went to see ENT doctor. Turns out the periodic pressure I have been feeling in my left ear is probably caused by my TMJ. And while being at the office, the doc checked my ears and asked me if I want him to clean my earwax build up. I have done it in the past when they used one of those scoopers, but never a suction vac. Agreed to go for it (the vac), but then later that day felt a bit dizzy. I thought maybe I was dehydrated. The same on Friday, a bit dizzy, but in general I was still feeling OK. Later that day on Friday after a workout, I started to feel more dizzy, and by Saturday morning it turned into a full blown vertigo condition :frowning2:

Now, 3 days later, I have been feeling like a zombie with room spinning around until I sit down, and feeling dizzy as I'm walking around. Called ENT doctor, going to see him tomorrow morning, but they mentioned something about my inner ear crystals being out of place. Anybody experienced anything like that? Especially after getting your ears "vacuumed"? And for those who did, was it related to "crystals" and how did it get fixed?
I had two similar experience before, though nothing to do with earwax cleaning. It is just crystal dislodged. I did the routine from the website, and on one of the occasion, I actually went to ER to make sure it is not stroke or something serious.

For inner ear unbalance due to crystal dislodging, there is very few you can do. Just wait it out. I hope I will never have this again since the vertigo and the nausea thus created is very painful and you just feel a sense of total helpless.

Jan 31, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #80,245 of 91,280
I have not lived in that part of the island. The market had always been a stop-along-the-way kind of place that I visited as a young working adult. It has its charm, and like many places that are no more such as Borders, I’ve always wished to be able to take the day off and just lepak there for the morning or afternoon. Never had the chance before it was gone. We lead a very busy life. Hobbies such as this provide a nice distraction.
A man misses Borders.
And HMV.

Jan 31, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #80,247 of 91,280
My impression of his brand’s tuning based upon what I had heard in the past is focused primarily on female vocals, with distinctive instrumental separation to provide a sense of wide space and staging. Though it has been a while since I heard his latest offerings, as Rhapsodio does not seem to be as popular locally in HK as aboard like in Taiwan and Japan (based on some previous conversations with Sammy).
Anyway, it is good to see his stuff reach our hands in North America, and I hope that he can connect with the community there.

I can't think of another IEM that I enjoy listening to classical as much as the supv3.

Jan 31, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #80,248 of 91,280
I remain flabergasted at the performance of Centurion, still glad I didn't pay retail and honestly few should but this cable has elevated my Jewel so much. The difference is as profound as The Orpheus. Can't believe my setup was so bottlenecked before, terrible. I gotta hear Fei Wan now.

I know! While my funds aren't as deep as others, just having something a mini Centurion such as my Bespoke 4W Chiron + 4W Cleopatra I is also quite a noticeable upgrade over most SPC / Pure silver cable or even the Fusion 1 cable for roughly 1/3rd the Centurion's price

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #80,250 of 91,280
Rhapsodio V3? Looking forward to read your impression 😁
Would honestly like to read your impressions of the Rhapsodio, is it a Supreme Mkxx? I had acquainted Sammy back in 2017, while I was still into over ear headphones and just started to dive into the deep depths of IEMs. Back then I approached him for some affordable cables to be terminated in 4.4 balanced, as they were then recently release and had yet to gain widespread adaptation we see today.

Anyway, it is good to see his stuff reach our hands in North America, and I hope that he can connect with the community there.

TLDR: They are spellbinding.

What follows are some ad hoc first day impressions. As a condition for receiving this tour unit I agreed to let the unit burn in for 200 hours before sending them out. As such I will follow through with this before commenting too extensively, but some preliminary thoughts may be given. I will say that it's not very often anymore that I hear something that so totally stands out with its own character relative to what I have heard before as these do. The closest immediate comparison I could make would be something like the CFA Supermoon, because there is definitely something distinctly planar-like going on with the Supreme 3...but to be fair that really doesn't begin to these justice as there is much more going on here.

I've been listening almost exclusively to the Trifecta and Perpetua lately and coming from right from that rich, meaty DD timbre these were quite a shock at first...the sound seemed quite thin and even crispy at times...but after some time for my brain to adjust everything is falling into place wonderfully. I've never heard anything quite like this before.

Resolution is astounding and the soundscape is massive in height, width and depth. It feels like you're walking throgh a beguiling forest full of layers of details, nuance and textures. Tuning is definitely skewed a little bright but it never veers into shout or unpleasantness. Bass quality is outstanding...much better than I was expecting. Texture is full with some real meat to it...enough to compensate for the brighter tuning. The RS8 and its anlogue flavor seems a great match for this. The WM1Z alas does not have the juice to do it justice.

Midrange and vocal timbre is outstanding...especially female vocals. This track has never sounded better to me:

That's all I want to say for now. Definitely wow'd by these so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back