The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 29, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #80,116 of 88,300
The past week of posts about flagships has me thinking about a listening style I've taken too, and others I know have as well. I like to use 1 flagship coupled with with 1 mid fi or entry set per week. I like to rotate between these two sets as they provide a lot of difference in not just tonality but technical presentations. This contrast allows me to appreciate both sets equally.

I will start with my 'rotation' this week: FIR VxV and UM Mason Fusang.

Last week it was: UM MEXT and Aroma Jewel

Have you guys taken to alternating between a pair of flagship and entry sets? If so, what is your favorite combination?
Yes I do this, too. Right now it's Trifecta at home and Cascara on the road. I appreciate the home sound more this way. Then I appreciate the away sound too. Good strategy.

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #80,117 of 88,300
I caved and went for the Brise Shirogane and ordered one @MusicTeck, I blame @Tokpakorlo for this, second eye watering cable I am purchasing after reading his inspiring review :ksc75smile:

Something I never would have considered but a secondhand Orpheus (Shielded) really popped my limit there, nothing like a whole chain... so many CIEMs it's time for vertical rather than horizontal expansion :p

I have a hunch JH Sharona, FIBAE7, Volt are going to sing like never before with this one...

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #80,118 of 88,300
  1. Why are you be pissed? you didn't buy Amber Pearl.
This question's less than perfect grammar is somehow funny in itself already,

but add to that your profile pic, and this is Comedy Gold.
Screenshot_20240129-221608~2.png

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #80,119 of 88,300
I am not sure if Project M would be the right IEM as I am hearing that they are a bit bright.
Nightjar Singularity, F Audio Spring or just Quatrro....I have been enjoying them quite a bit.
I’m quite sensitive to treble and I personally don’t find them that bright. I also owned Singularity for a little while. I have the Perpetua and I find the Project M tonality very similar with slightly more base, less resolution and slightly smaller soundstage. But, DITA has some of the best tonality and note weight of any IEM. I’ve been quite happy with Project M is a cheaper IEM for on the go use with the amazing DITA house sound.

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #80,121 of 88,300
Yes I do this, too. Right now it's Trifecta at home and Cascara on the road. I appreciate the home sound more this way. Then I appreciate the away sound too. Good strategy.
I love this approach. It’s keeps your gear fresh! This weak I’m stuck on AK SP3000 > DITA Celest Cable > RN6 CIEM (grey module). Last week was Cayin N30 > DITA Perpetua

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #80,122 of 88,300
Meet my very best investment in this hobby by a huge margin, as my pleasure in listening to music has shot up by 50% - courtesy of @RonaldS86 (who has gone missing from this thread?)

20240129_222518.jpg

No more microphonics, no more sliding chin sliders - just the orchestra!

20240129_222648.jpg

@aaf evo Thoughts on the linen?

drftr

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #80,123 of 88,300
  1. Why are you be pissed? you didn't buy Amber Pearl.
  2. Buying the next release is always optional.
  3. Where's the proof they're holding back tech? (FYI innovation is a continuous process in life)
  4. If you're this upset, then you're (over) spending in the wrong price category.
  5. These are indeed modest price increases for the targeted audience.
  6. You never stated your principles to begin with, but I'd say enjoy what you have and be content.
  7. As long as there's demand, new products will be churned out quickly.
You contradict yourself when you say

But you say Mentor is your favorite of all your top IEMs.

Just enjoy the Music. Don't buy everything. Only what suits your needs.

Nice post. I did buy Amber Pearl and it is currently my number 1 ranked IEM. I am actually pretty excited about this new Mason FS because Red Halo was my number 1 for almost a year. Now it is somewhere around 6-7. If it ranks in the top 5, I will probably buy it. If it it not better than APX, then I probably won't buy it. If anyone should be angry, it would be me. But I am not. I love that UM is putting out new products. I can take them or leave them as I see fit, just like everyone else here.

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #80,124 of 88,300
Jan 29, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #80,125 of 88,300
Meet by very best investment in this hobby by a huge margin, as my pleasure in listening to music has shot up by 50% - courtesy of @RonaldS86 (who has gone missing from this thread?)

20240129_222518.jpg

20240129_222648.jpg

drftr
I am surprised that you find out the clip so late, but FYI, there are tons of clips designed for IEMs, such as:
https://www.64audio.com/products/shirt-clip

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #80,126 of 88,300
Meet by very best investment in this hobby by a huge margin, as my pleasure in listening to music has shot up by 50% - courtesy of @RonaldS86 (who has gone missing from this thread?)

20240129_222518.jpg

20240129_222648.jpg

drftr

One day may it be as famous as mine, one day.

We can joke all day, but I suspect that @aaf evo made his fortune from linen, and uses it to fund his audio toys! :laughing:

The only person who would pay for something like this is @bigbeans

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #80,127 of 88,300
Well said and spot on. I can’t do Reddit at all as a leisure time scroll for the “culture” there and cringe when Google returns search results containing a Reddit thread to one of my queries.

I believe if the argument made against this particular company/release/price point is being made by anyone other than an owner who’s items value is taking a hit in the secondary market then they 100% are just as you mentioned a Reddit/tiktok outrage type. Now if someone does have the “previous” models from said mfgrs and is afraid it’s going to hurt their typical buy/enjoy/resell while it’s still a hyped item and recoup most of your outlay then that’s understandable but it’s not the companies fault at all, it’s the markets. I spent some time recently on hypebeast looking for a certain shoe release and was reminded of how horrible social media marketing really is for us.

Everyone's an activist these days. I'm not a communist-- I believe 100% in the free market. If a company wants to make a $50,000 IEM they can go right ahead...and if someone wants to buy it, then power to them. If they enjoy their $50,000 IEM, then great. If that same company releases another, slightly different variant, two weeks later for $60,000 and the same people buy it, even more power to them. None of this will have any bearing whatsoever on my own ability to enjoy and find utmost fulfillment in this hobby within the budget I have set for myself. To complain repeatedly about stuff I have no control over that doesn't affect me in the slightest seems like...self-righteous whining. I think brands like UM are transparent about what they do: they appeal to a certain market and folks in that market continue to purchase and love their products. I have way more of an issue with shady influencers and youtube promoters who pretend to be in it for the community but in reality are only concerned with image and entirely in the service of their own narcissism and the bottom line of whoever is sponsoring them.
This is the last bit I'm going to spout re: pricing of "flagships" and whatnot, since the discussion's gotten a bit heated (and circular), but I cannot stress this bit enough:

Nobody.

Owes anyone.

Anything.

That includes companies, reviewers, etc (and to clarify this point, no, I don't follow whoever HBB is so I really have no idea on him as a person--I'm speaking in a very general sense). No one "cheated" anyone, no one ever said "you HAVE to buy this", advised you purchase gear as an investment (which objectively speaking is a bad investment, given we all know how fast this stuff depreciates), etc.

Astell & Kern drops a new "flagship" player at a minimum of once a year if not sooner, each one promising to sound better than the last and each one oftentimes more expensive. I have learned by now that this is a trend with them. Some people are going to enjoy that they constantly have a new thing, just like Apple does--and that's ok! I am obviously not their target demographic, because I do not enjoy feeling as if my player is outdated every ~8 months--and that's ok too. Could I buy better sounding Sony gear if Sony dropped a new player more often? I mean...maybe. But given the myriad of necessities I'm already dropping money on (daycare, medical bills, Comic-Con), I'm not really interested in pursuing such a thing.

For anyone concerned that the high-end audio market is going the way of designer handbags and other luxury goods, please rest assured: it absolutely is. This isn't new. People balked at Audeze's prices a decade ago when they charged more for bubinga wood earcups that had virtually nothing to do with the sound, but they felt nice and they looked cool and the company saw a way to make more money making them. I own a pair, still.

I think some of the general upset is probably not least due to the fact that cost of living has gone up in so many places that I imagine many of us have less "fun money" to throw around that ever, although that could be my projecting. At the same time, it seems plenty of hardcore people who make more than I do in a fiscal year  can afford such indulgences and again--cool. It's no skin off my or anyone else's nose.

To put it another way: I own one high-end Seiko and zero Rolexes. Why? Because online I can shop around, find the best deal, then simply hit "order now" and feel like I'm getting the best bang for my buck. With Rolex, I have to go to a store, quantify my interest, and basically prove I'm willing to go the extra mile for the privilege of giving them my hard-earned money. Do I have interest in supporting such practices? Absolutely not. But I also don't join Rolex owners forums and try to convince the same individuals who have been buying their stuff for years about how they need to wake up and see the light and stop drinking the Kool-Aid. They're not in my income bracket, they're likely  not going to change their behavior, and none of their Rolexes have affected the "value", sentimental or otherwise, of my Seiko, and vice versa.

What I keep seeing among the most vocal is this general lashing out at "companies" as if they're one anomalous entity against "pricing in general", as if that isn't all over the board too. If you think a price is ridiculous: don't buy it. It's the approach that's worked for me with collectibles companies that keep jacking their prices, and while I think it's unfortunate, given that literally none of this stuff is a necessity and there are always lower-cost alternatives I guess I'm just struggling to see what the big deal is. It's all very silly, but it shouldn't make people so actively angry.

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #80,128 of 88,300
‘Wrong’ thread but I’m sure some will appreciate the Wharfedale Linton Heritage speakers… beautiful design and funny watching / reading reviews and hearing pretty much the same lingo but directed at speaker capability, amp suitability etc - of course that would be the case, but strange none the less dipping my foot into another segment of this world again and hearing ‘our’ language :)

I’m very close to pulling the trigger on these, they seemingly sound warm and musical with a large stage with excellent low end and mids, a touch rolled off up top. Darko who I share a lot of music taste with speaks incredibly highly of them in his YouTube review

I love how they have storage for vinyl in the stands.

IMG_0983.jpeg

IMG_0982.png

IMG_0981.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 29, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #80,129 of 88,300
I am surprised that you find out the clip so late, but FYI, there are tons of clips designed for IEMs, such as:
https://www.64audio.com/products/shirt-clip
I asked about it a few times but nobody else chimed in.

‘Wrong’ thread but I’m sure some will appreciate the Wharfedale Linton Heritage speakers… beautiful design and funny watching / reading reviews and hearing pretty much the same lingo but directed at speaker capability, amp suitability etc - of course that would be the case, but strange none the less dipping my foot into another segment of this world again and hearing ‘our’ language :)

I’m very close to pulling the trigger on these, they seemingly sound warm and musical with a large stage with excellent low end and mids, a touch rolled off up top. Darko who I share a lot of music taste with speaks incredibly highly of them in his YouTube review

I love how they have storage for vinyl in the stands.

IMG_0983.jpeg

IMG_0982.png

IMG_0981.jpeg
See if you can demo Rogers/Harbeth LS5/9 as well if you like these. Classic sound. Think Quad ESL63 kinda mids and treble with better bass.

drftr

Jan 29, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #80,130 of 88,300
I asked about it a few times but nobody else chimed in.

See if you can demo Rogers/Harbeth LS5/9 as well if you like these. Classic sound. Think Quad ESL63 kinda mids and treble with better bass.

drftr

Stunning looking too but above budget - I can get a reasonable deal locally too for the Linton.

I was debating Kef LS50 also as a very similar price but I’m quite drawn to the retro style of the Linton, plus the relaxed signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back