The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 29, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #80,071 of 88,292
I am myself think of getting D16 + PB5 stack.....so far only good news about them. Waiting for a few more people to try them out.
I ordered a PB5 to go with my 320Max. Should ship today or tomorrow.

Jan 29, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #80,074 of 88,292
I have not read this anywhere and did not hear it myself at CanJam. So I went to check. There are two posts in the Empire Ears thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/emp...merly-earwerkz.786335/page-2667#post-17939238

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/emp...merly-earwerkz.786335/page-2667#post-17939944

RE: the discussion on the Ravens not selling...The initial debacle + 2 pin issues + Odin measuring better and (IMO, of course) sounding far superior makes the Odin a better buy. I think EE made a perfect summit-fi IEM, and now anything else just isn't going to be it. The Ravens sounded great at CJ Dallas, but they had a more recessed mid range and a deeper bass response than my Odins, that's about it.

I liked the Odin and the Raven at CJ Dallas but I preferred the Odyssey. Though the Raven sounded a lot like it, the upper mids sounded a bit more recessed (IMO) than the Odyssey.

The opinion is the upper mids are more recessed when compared directly to another model. The opinion does not actually say the Raven upper mids 'are recessed'. The consensus of opinion tends to be the Odin upper mids are more pronounced than most. I do not think that means other monitors have 'recessed upper mids'. That is just a choice in phrasing or wording about a comparison to the Odin
Agreed. Raven's uppermids are not recessed IMO in a general sense. Anything compared to the Odin in that region is recessed to be fair.

That being said I think Raven's mids are more on the thin side. Not Jewel thin but thinner than the likes of Anni23 or something.

Jan 29, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #80,075 of 88,292
Non l'ho letto da nessuna parte e non l'ho sentito personalmente a CanJam. Quindi sono andato a controllare. Ci sono due post nel thread di Empire Ears:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/emp...merly-earwerkz.786335/page-2667#post-17939238

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/emp...merly-earwerkz.786335/page-2667#post-17939944

RE: la discussione sui Ravens che non vendono... La debacle iniziale + 2 problemi di pin + l'Odin misura meglio e (IMO, ovviamente) suona di gran lunga superiore rende l'Odin un acquisto migliore. Penso che EE abbia creato un IEM perfetto per il summit, e ora qualsiasi altra cosa semplicemente non lo sarà. I Ravens suonavano alla grande al CJ Dallas, ma avevano una gamma media più rientrata e una risposta dei bassi più profonda rispetto ai miei Odins, questo è tutto.

Mi è piaciuto l'Odino e il Corvo al CJ Dallas ma ho preferito l'Odissea. Sebbene il Raven suonasse molto simile, i medi superiori suonavano un po' più incassati (IMO) rispetto all'Odyssey.

L'opinione è che i medio-alti siano più incassati rispetto ad un altro modello . L'opinione in realtà non dice che i medi superiori Raven "sono incassati". Il consenso dell'opinione tende ad essere che i medi superiori dell'Odin sono più pronunciati della maggior parte. Non penso che ciò significhi che altri monitor abbiano "medi superiori incassati". Questa è solo una scelta nella frase o nella formulazione di un paragone con l'Odino

I have not read this anywhere and did not hear it myself at CanJam. So I went to check. There are two posts in the Empire Ears thread:

RE: the discussion on the Ravens not selling...The initial debacle + 2 pin issues + Odin measuring better and (IMO, of course) sounding far superior makes the Odin a better buy. I think EE made a perfect summit-fi IEM, and now anything else just isn't going to be it. The Ravens sounded great at CJ Dallas, but they had a more recessed mid range and a deeper bass response than my Odins, that's about it.

I liked the Odin and the Raven at CJ Dallas but I preferred the Odyssey. Though the Raven sounded a lot like it, the upper mids sounded a bit more recessed (IMO) than the Odyssey.

The opinion is the upper mids are more recessed when compared directly to another model. The opinion does not actually say the Raven upper mids 'are recessed'. The consensus of opinion tends to be the Odin upper mids are more pronounced than most. I do not think that means other monitors have 'recessed upper mids'. That is just a choice in phrasing or wording about a comparison to the Odin
I read those posts too, but I wasn't referring to that one, in fact I never said it, also because he compared it to Odin which seems to have the opposite problem...😄sorry but if you haven't read it it doesn't mean that no one has never written or said and that he did it on Headfi.. and which makes you assume so.. maybe I wrote it wrong, who among other things also mentioned that the review found the mids with strange reverberations etc... And really That's why I asked, because at least 3 opinions/reviews in common said that the uppermids were recessed among other things and I was interested in an opinion from a kind member, I'm sorry you did a search in the wrong place and honestly I don't even understand why purpose..if you had any doubts you could ask..without offense of course👍

Jan 29, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #80,076 of 88,292
Recently was able to get my hands on the new PMG APX courtesy of Musicteck, it's a very unique set in that it utilizes not only a DD in the lows but also a planar driver for the ultra lows, BA through the mid range/lower treble and yet ANOTHER planar in the ultra highs. It's an absolutely gorgeous IEM too with it's distinct amber faceplate. Anyway without further adieu, a brief impression of the APX.

Despite being such a unique driver config, I found the APX quite easy to drive and had no issues off any DAP i tried it with (SP3k, Rs8, DX320x, DX320 max).

The fit of the APX is good as well, it is a very deep seating iem which I prefer. I do with the inside of the shell was a bit more contoured, as it is very flat, but it was very comfortable even over longer listening times. I do also wish the shells were a tad bit bigger for a little more in ear security, but in no way a negative since it is a universal, afterall.

The stock cable is actually a lot nicer than I was expecting, I did a bit of rolling with the APX and came back to it every time. Sonically it's a perfect fit for the APX, my only wish is they used a BIT of a better insulation, it feels a little cheap/rubbery and that they used a hard termination 4.4mm and not this swappable one. But again, nitpicking an otherwise great quality cable for the sake of putting everything on the table.

Technically, this set is one of the most adept, if not the most, that I've heard. It has an absolutely massive soundstage, great depth and height alongside a top tier imaging ability to neatly place everything inside it's giant stage. As one would expect utilizing 2 planars, this is an very quick and nimble set which is able to get through any complex passage with ease and finesse.

Tonally, I find the APX to be a slight bit bright past neutral but with enough bass to level it out in nearly every situation so no part of the FR becomes overly emphasized.

Bass: The APX is a slightly bass elevated past neutral set but with the planar working the ultra lows and DD in the lows, the APX is able to be well contained and controlled across the spectrum. Relative to other DD sets on the market, the APX's DD does deliver a good punch and rumble from the planar but due to how nimble the drivers are, it decays relatively quickly but it does leave the set leaning slightly more mid-bassy than sub. Relative to other sets, like the Ragnar, I find the bass quality to be about equal, maybe SLIGHTLY leaning in the ragnar's favor but taking my bias for the ragnar out of the equation, I'd say they have equal quality while the APX has a slight edge in quantity. Both the Ragnar and APX have quick and nimble decay to their bass with the APX being just a bit quicker so you lose a slight bit of reverb in comparison to the Ragnar.

Mids: If I had to pick one area as the weakness of the APX it would be here in the mids. They are amazing quality, with great air and resolution with an extremely strong center image but higher pitched male vocals and lower pitched female vocals can come off a little dry. This isn't the case with deeper male vocals and higher pitched female vocals, however, they both sound excellent with a great sense of emotion and a natural decay, as expected from BA mids. Compared to the Ragnar, the APX's mids sit a bit further back in the mix but I was able to detect some slight bits of sibilance with the APX where as I have never with the Ragnar. This was rare, and only with a few female artists, such as Infected Rain, but by and large, the mids are high quality and tonally accurate but can lean a little dry at times.

Treble: Coming off reading a few others impressions/thoughts of the APX's treble, I immediately expected a much brighter/harsher treble than what I got. The treble of the APX is slightly bright, but never particularly harsh or glaring. There is an appreciable speed and etching to every note which provides a great amount of detail through the region. I do not think many of the Watercooler folks here who typically lean into a warmer sound would dislike the APX due to it's slightly bright leaning signature as it is so well balanced and musical despite being bright leaning. When doing A/B with Ragnar and APX and focusing on treble, I find the APX to have slightly greater separation due to the planar speed, while Ragnar's ests aren't far behind, they do have more decay/reverb than the APX is able to deliver. I found myself preferring the Ragnar here but the APX is wonderful in it's own rights.

The APX is an amazing set with technical capabilities that exceed many other similarly priced IEMs and a soundstage that I find unmatched, even compared to the Ragnar. They excel at quicker paced music, but even with slower paced they did well to not sound overly analytical or boring which I think is a great testament to how well they were tuned.

WOW! Thanks for such a positive feedback! Greatly appreciate it. :pray:

Jan 29, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #80,077 of 88,292
So, I don't have meaningful wins very often (especially not this past year) but yesterday was a big win for me.

I'm in the process of assembling a combined work-from-home study/display room to house most, if not all, of my most prized collectibles, which to me equates not necessarily to my most expensive stuff, but to those items that evoke the largest degree of childhood nostalgia. To that end, I've spent the better half of several years searching on and off for a halfway decent collectible from the Megaman Zero games that isn't some obscure garage kit from Wonder Festival, and yesterday I found it:

1706539630501.png

Turns out X-Plus, the same company that pumps out Godzilla vinyl toys like they're going out of style, makes a Megaman Zero figure in a whopping 12 inch tall format. And, wouldn't you know it, exactly one seller on Mercari Japan had it. Sealed. Kept in storage. With the pre-order bonus buster arm. I've never hit "place order" so fast in my life.

For those unfamiliar with the Megaman Zero video game series, these were a series of Gameboy Advance games from 2002-onwards that centered around an amnesiac Zero waking up in a dystopian future some hundred-odd years after the end of the X series and struggling to defend a small group of human resistance fighters as they struggle to escape a corrupt monarchy government in a supposed human "paradise", led by Zero's former best friend X, who's now been cloned and turned full on sociopathic evil. Along the way, Zero struggles with questions of the self, the meaning of his existence, the value of life and casualties in war, all the while systematically murdering multiple sentient robots, including, inevitably, X. The American version censored a fair amount, but the original Japanese release featured, among other things, gratuitous amounts of blood when you sliced apart various killer robots, samurai-style.

1706539717084.png

This was a game series.

On the Gameboy Advance.

Published by Nintendo.

For CHILDREN.

Yeah. Talk about batting above the limitations of the console system.

The games were, of course, fantastic, and obviously I recommend them to everyone, but for me, one of the largest elements that stuck with me, long after I finished them, were the soundtracks. Acknowledging the natural limits of the chiptune music on a measly Gameboy cartridge, Ippo Yamada went about releasing full, uncut versions of each of the tracks in the games, including a number of unreleased ones, played by a full orchestra. Among them was this little ditty:

"Red Time" plays in the background in Megaman Zero 2's limited multiplayer mode where you compete with a friend for points, which at the time required two separate Gameboy Advance consoles, two copies of the game, and a multiplayer link cable to hard connect both players. This was a mode that pretty much nobody used and was scrapped by the following game, and there was literally no reason for the music to go this hard. I'm chuckling myself silly trying to envision how this conversation went down at Inti Creates:

"Hey, so we're thinking of tacking on this dumb little multiplayer thing so we can advertise the game as coop, even though it's really a single player game. It doesn't need to be anything special, we really just need a background track so it's not silence."

"Ok, so you want a 2 and a half minute Deep Purple styled tribute song with a rock guitar, drum player, and a full-fledged electric keyboard solo?"

"HAHA WHAT"

"what"

Anyway, tl;dr, the music was cool, and well worth an import from CDJapan.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #80,079 of 88,292
I have loved these babies with a lot of heart. ❤️

And some of you have bought these upon my recommendation and I have been super glad that they worked out for you.

But now I am considering selling mine to repurpose cash elsewhere.

🙏🏻

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #80,080 of 88,292
I see that you are selling you N7 and 1A, just wondering from your perspective, how much is improved from 1A to 1A2M. If not that much, I may consider just keep my 1A for Sony house sound, and looking for another brand for newer flavor DAP. Thanks!
So I picked up both the 1A and 1AM2 last week. My goal was to find something lighter/ more portable, as I prefer to not travel with my 1ZM2. I received the 1AM2 first and immediately fell in love. I rarely stream but the option is nice if I want to sample some new tunes before purchasing. As far as performance goes, I find the M2 to be more refined, offering a larger sound stage, better detail retrieval and just a more mature sound altogether. To be fair, I didn't spend all that much time with the A1. And I'm very familiar with the current generations U/I, so that was a factor as well. End of the day, I won't be upset if I have to hold on to both. I am a serious Sony fanboy and love the option of modding the 1st generation in the future. BUT for less than $1K on the used market, M2 is a freaking steal and a clear upgrade from M1. I really jive with Sony's sound and don't have much want or need for another brands products. Hope that helps.

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #80,081 of 88,292
I ordered a PB5 to go with my 320Max. Should ship today or tomorrow.

It was mentioned in the PB5 thread, but the discounted price for existing 320Max customers is REALLY appealing! I am about to order one myself. For those who missed the message, reach out to @Paul - iBasso for quote and include a picture of your warranty card with date/pb5 written on the white sticker. See post for more info.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #80,082 of 88,292
So I picked up both the 1A and 1AM2 last week. My goal was to find something lighter/ more portable, as I prefer to not travel with my 1ZM2. I received the 1AM2 first and immediately fell in love. I rarely stream but the option is nice if I want to sample some new tunes before purchasing. As far as performance goes, I find the M2 to be more refined, offering a larger sound stage, better detail retrieval and just a more mature sound altogether. To be fair, I didn't spend all that much time with the A1. And I'm very familiar with the current generations U/I, so that was a factor as well. End of the day, I won't be upset if I have to hold on to both. I am a serious Sony fanboy and love the option of modding the 1st generation in the future. BUT for less than $1K on the used market, M2 is a freaking steal and a clear upgrade from M1. I really jive with Sony's sound and don't have much want or need for another brands products. Hope that helps.
Thanks, very helpful and as a result, a 1AM2 is coming to me :)

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #80,083 of 88,292
I have loved these babies with a lot of heart. ❤️

IMG_8123.jpeg

And some of you have bought these upon my recommendation and I have been super glad that they worked out for you.

But it’s now time to let mine go and repurpose cash elsewhere.

Anyone interested in a mint-condition Perpetua, feel free to drop me a private message.
How much did you pay for them?

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #80,084 of 88,292
If we're talking an adjustment once in a while to alleviate the pressure, then that's not too bad. Even the TS-316 has a little flex, I think, even though it's vented. It seems more common than not, overall.

I have to give it a bit of a think to see if I want to try to pull the trigger on one or hold off for something else.
I have 9 IEMs and I like them all quite a bit but the Prototype 3 is nothing like any of them.

It is like monster truck hitting your ears. The resonance from brass chamber is to die for.

I don't mind a bit of inconvenience for that kind of experience.

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #80,085 of 88,292
To summarise:

- Improved "unique house sound that offers an impressive soundstage and lifelike timbres through bone conduction technology"
- New "revolutionary BC-Turbo Micro Voltage Booster [that] heralds a new era of sonic possibilities"
- New FreqShift BCD
- New First Time Shielding Pro

And all this for the modest price of 8500 USD. If I had bought Amber Pearl, which was released only a few months ago for the equally modest price of 8000 USD as a minor upgrade compared to Mentor (4500 USD, note: 3500 USD price difference for a minor upgrade), I would be extremely pissed off right now. UM is obviously deliberately holding back new, apparently groundbreaking technologies so that it can release another, even better and more expensive IEM shortly afterwards. And I bet (!!) that the new version of Mentor will be released next month for the price of 6999 or 7499 USD. And between Mason FS and Mentor, we all know which one has had more success in the past (spoiler: Mentor). So the question here is whether it wouldn't be worth waiting. Apart from that, I personally can no longer justify UM's marketing strategy. These price jumps are for me no longer rational and I am no longer willing to support UM. As much as I love my Mentor - it's still my favorite of the current TOTL - I've now resolved to stop buying UM's products as long as UM pursues such a mocking strategy. It is quite clear that UM wants to push it until it finally breaks. The moment has now come for me. I will boycott it and sell my Mentor in protest (I know, no one surely cares): see my classified.

My principles are worth more to me than any IEMs. UM may produce such great IEMs (of course this is debatable), but there are plenty of alternatives on the market that are equivalent or better. I would also invite others to stop buying UM's products. This trend must be stopped, it is in the interest of all of us.

@UniqueMelody

1. Why are you be pissed? you didn't buy Amber Pearl.
  2. Buying the next release is always optional.
  3. Where's the proof they're holding back tech? (FYI innovation is a continuous process in life)
  4. If you're this upset, then you're (over) spending in the wrong price category.
  5. These are indeed modest price increases for the targeted audience.
  6. You never stated your principles to begin with, but I'd say enjoy what you have and be content.
  7. As long as there's demand, new products will be churned out quickly.
You contradict yourself when you say
UM may produce such great IEMs (of course this is debatable)
But you say Mentor is your favorite of all your top IEMs.

Just enjoy the Music. Don't buy everything. Only what suits your needs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back