The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 21, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #79,216 of 89,394
Really digging Ear Audio’s latest ARC line of cables. Love, love, love it with the Jewel and the Perpetua. Yet to try this cable with other IEMs.

IMG_7846.jpeg

The build quality is way, way more premium than their $275-$300 price point. The cable is thick but light and ergonomic.

IMG_7850.jpeg

The above cable in the black and white colorway I got for the Perpetua, naturally.

IMG_7855.jpeg

The red and black one below is an extra cable I got I’ll use with IEMs coming my way soon.

IMG_7851.jpeg

These cables, sonically, trade blows with far, far higher-end cables. Their party trick is a natural dynamism and flair they add to the music, which works really well with the Jewel and the Perpetua. Drums hit harder and the overall presentation sounds livelier.

Quick specs (copy pasted from Ear Audio):

• Gauge: 26 AWG UPOCC+ V3
  • Strands: 0.06mm X 49
  • Diameter: 1.2mm
  • Litz: Type 6 with Concentric Structure
  • Insulation: PU
  • Purity: 7N+ Type 4 litz
  • Jacket: Nylon + Cotton sleeve

He is currently selling these cables for $275. They are cheap enough that you may want to try one for yourself without remorse.

His insta: https://www.instagram.com/ear_audio

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #79,217 of 89,394
I do intend to visit FatFreq again to give them another try.

BTW which selector switch setting and module do you prefer?

I am jealous, I'd love to visit their HQ! Be sure to give them all a try if you can, so many people miss the other tuning modes because the default black/bass (vocal off) is really captivating...

That said, I do I roll black / vocal off (the bassy one) a slight majority of the time. The remainder is split between black with vocal on and blue with vocal on depending on genre. I haven't really found a situation where I'd prefer blue vocal off, but it probably exists, there's nothing objectionable about that tuning, it just doesn't stand out as much.

At some point they're going to release a super bass module next (was supposed to be last year, but you know how that goes) that will bring up the sub bass hopefully to Scarlet levels... I'm eager to hear what that kind of sub bass sounds like with pressure equalization (hopefully it's not fully closed), but I'm also in no rush given the quality the current modules are already delivering in ear :)

Jan 21, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #79,218 of 89,394
At some point they're going to release a super bass module next (was supposed to be last year, but you know how that goes) that will bring up the sub bass hopefully to Scarlet levels... I'm eager to hear what that kind of sub bass sounds like with pressure equalization (hopefully it's not fully closed), but I'm also in no rush given the quality the current modules are already delivering in ear :)
I, for one, am looking forward to trying the super bass module *with vocal on*. Based on the graph difference between vocal on/off for the other modules, I suspect the super bass vocal *on* might end up with a bass shelf slightly lesser than the black vocal-off, but with a little more forward mids, but still overall retaining the essence of the black vocal-off.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #79,219 of 89,394
I am jealous, I'd love to visit their HQ! Be sure to give them all a try if you can, so many people miss the other tuning modes because the default black/bass (vocal off) is really captivating...

That said, I do I roll black / vocal off (the bassy one) a slight majority of the time. The remainder is split between black with vocal on and blue with vocal on depending on genre. I haven't really found a situation where I'd prefer blue vocal off, but it probably exists, there's nothing objectionable about that tuning, it just doesn't stand out as much.

When I last listened to it, I believe it was with the black module. I prefer the vocal off setting as well. I supposed I was let down by my own expectations after hearing so much talk about its bass. The availability of Scarlet Mini for demo didn’t help either. Bought it instead. Looking forward to their superbass module

Jan 21, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #79,220 of 89,394
1000011436.jpg

Following post has had my eustress levels on the rise for a while now.

I have become a 500+ headfier, so let's make the 501st post something special.

Last week was my 27th birthday. Nothing special in itself. But I've been working on something quite special for a while and I am dying to share the outcome.

It took some courage to man up, seek professional guidance, and record in the first place, but arguably even more courage to post here among you, audiophiles with sharpest of ears and greatest of gears.

The song is well-known no matter where you're from and what you listen to preferentially - it's Frank Sinatra's My Way which starts off soft and rather uneventful, but it gets going at about halfway, so please bear with me. It also needs to carry a powerful message throughout. I recommend you use your best set for piano & male vocal.

I would very much appreciate any support and feedback. Positive or not. I welcome everyone to reach out to me privately and express their (preferrably somewhat constructive) criticism too! Turns out it's incredibly difficult to judge yourself, both positively or negatively, since it sounds tremendously odd to hear your own voice replayed.

This is also my very first semi-professional endeavour thanks to my guiding mentor and one of my small country's greatest female vocalists - Neisha. I welcome you to check out her work.

I sincerely hope at least some of you find it enjoyable!

Without further ado ...

Jan 21, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #79,221 of 89,394
1000011436.jpg

Last week was my 27th birthday. Nothing special in itself. But I've been working on something quite special for a while and I am dying to share the outcome.

It took some courage to man up, seek professional guidance, and record in the first place, but arguably even more courage to post here among you, audiophiles with sharpest of ears and greatest of gears.

The song is well-known no matter where you're from and what you listen to preferentially - it's Frank Sinatra's My Way which starts off soft and rather uneventful, but it gets going at about halfway, so please bear with me. It also needs to carry a powerful message throughout. I recommend you use your best set for piano & male vocal.

I would very much appreciate any support and feedback. Positive or not. I welcome everyone to reach out to me privately and express their (preferrably somewhat constructive) criticism too! Turns out it's incredibly difficult to judge yourself, both positively or negatively, since it sounds tremendously odd to hear your own voice replayed.

This is also my very first semi-professional endeavour thanks to my guiding mentor and one of my small country's greatest female vocalists - Neisha. I welcome you to check out her work.

Without further ado ...

Great job, man! Really impressive to see you take a leap like that, keep it up :).

Jan 21, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #79,222 of 89,394
1000011436.jpg

Without further ado ...

What an incredible milestone! Congrats on the choice, guts, everything! I'm 25 kms from Sultan but will come back to you later!

drftr

Jan 21, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #79,223 of 89,394
1000011436.jpg

Without further ado ...

Impressive! The only singing most of us do is in the shower I'm sure 😂

Jan 21, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #79,224 of 89,394
1000011436.jpg

Without further ado ...

Congratulations for the 500+ headfier and belated Happy Birthday! What a way to mark these 2 milestones. Bravo!

Jan 21, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #79,225 of 89,394
1000011436.jpg

Without further ado ...

Sad we'll be missing you at the meetup, but we still have high our hopes another great singer will make up for it @julioiglesias

drftr

Jan 21, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #79,226 of 89,394

Without further ado ...

Lovely voice, thanks for sharing it with us!

Jan 21, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #79,227 of 89,394

Without further ado ...

Happy Birthday, time to ramp up the focus on your voice. I really enjoyed the timbre in your voice in the lowest notes. Look for songs to make your own where you can take full advantage of that gift. Best of luck. Thank you for sharing, applaud your courage to put this out there.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #79,228 of 89,394
Not only by NGaudio also a problem for other asian brands like FLC Technology which released in 2015 the remarkable FLC8s, years later...

Flcforrestwei said:

Thanks for the feedback!
Our company's strategy was wrong from the beginning, we too much on distributors.
If this is the case, that NGAudio’s “strategy” was to rely on distributors and retailers to market their expensive products, that seems naive and poorly considered for developers of such sophisticated gear. Andrew @MusicTeck can only do so much (though his NGAudio and Erebus pages could provide a lot more insights than the virtually zero in English that they currently do). And Andrew and others like him rely heavily on consumers like us to do the marketing for them.

NGAudio is like a new high-end watchmaker trying to compete with Rolex and leaving their unfinanced marketing and sales in half the world to the random whims of the watch market. That strategy seems unlikely in that industry. This is another sign that the IEM industry is still an immature one, kind of like the Wild West in the US in the 19th century. It means there is opportunity for lucky and crafty IEM manufacturers to suddenly become the next Rolex without needing millions in marketing access to get there. It also means audiophiles like us don’t get to hear a lot of ground-breaking gear that is out there.

Jan 21, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #79,229 of 89,394
Karoline Polachek makes good music and perfomes incredible live. Maybe pop music can be saved after all :wink:

I gave her new album a listen in the last couple days after one of the tracks (I don't recall which) popped up on radio shuffle in Apple Music, and I think it's fantastic. Sunset was a standout for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back