The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 15, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #78,571 of 91,357
My favourite combination by far:

Combo.png

drftr
Old picture. I want to see the "employee of the month" photo. And you still need to change your username... 😜

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #78,572 of 91,357
The sultan of swat
Almost true: East of the Swat Valley.

Old picture. I want to see the "employee of the month" photo. And you still need to change your username... 😜
🤢🤥😭

I might be heading to South Africa for work though. A bearable compromise (I keep telling myself).

drftr

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #78,573 of 91,357
My favourite combination by far:

Combo.png

drftr
Sultan was on my shortlist based on your and @Sajid Amit impressions but I came upon a used Trifecta at a good price. Also thought Trifecta would be a more significant departure from Spartacus.

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #78,574 of 91,357
Sultan was on my shortlist based on your and @Sajid Amit impressions but I came upon a used Trifecta at a good price. Also thought Trifecta would be a more significant departure from Spartacus.
BLASPHEMY!!!

90E4E38D-7BBE-49F9-ABC3-6E29B977354B.jpeg

drftr

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #78,575 of 91,357
Racing with friends in FL
IMG_0786.jpegIMG_0984.jpeg
Talking about racing in FL, I still remember many years ago when I drove back from Key West and arrived in Miami in the midnight, I was driving a little bit too fast, maybe 90 mph, and several sports cars just flew by and quickly disappeared ahead, they must be driving at at least 150 mph.

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #78,576 of 91,357
Still recovering from my ankle surgery. And it's driving me crazy. No, not the recovery itself, but one terribly painful detail.

1000011526.jpg

This thing I've got on my ankle vibrates in a constant rhythm. I'd say roughly 90BPM. And in the top corner you can see a speaker. Playing music, as speakers do. But the songs are never in the same rhythm as the magnet ... This last one was darn close, but still off by about 3BPM. Losing my mind! 😅

Yes yes, I hear you shouting. And you're correct, I do have too much time.
Get well soon!

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #78,577 of 91,357
For the purposes of comparing 2 or more FR graphs, isn't normalizing to 1Khz just an arbitrary convention? One could normalize to another frequency if he wants to, say, start with the bass volume the same on both, and see how the rest of the FR compares. Or one could argue it might be better to normalize by dB (line up the FR graphs along the horizontal axis so they have equal area above and below 0db line). But in this case, how do you compensate for the highest octave of human hearing contributing the least to the overall sound? Or is that already accomplished by the logarithmic frequency axis?

I think this really underscores why it's difficult to get much more than an overall impression by comparing FR graphs. Not to mention those sound characteristics that are not even captured by FR.
One recommendation when looking at normalized graphs is to consider the music you're listening to.

I like to normalize at 450Hz to get a picture of how the general perceived frequency would be if listening to "bassier" tracks or tracks with focus on, let's say, bass guitar and drums.

Normalizing at 1000 or 1500Hz would give you a clearer picture on the overall in general, from my experience, as this will show you the mid to upper range voicing. So vocals, (female vocals especially), electric guitars, strings, winds, etc. As you see, normalizing at 1kHz is kind of convention because it's more informative.

Take for example Singularity, a very consistent tuning with epic bass & Fei Wan, a very variable tuning with more focus on equally epic bass (sub+midbass) and treble.

At 450Hz aligned:
Singularity - Feiwan 450Hz.png

For a lot of music, Fei Wan is exciting and engaging and just really a "wow" factor because of the generous amount of sizzle and bite yet not going way too overboard, while vocal range remains clean and lows have a beautiful bass slope which provides satisfying bass. This is at 450Hz aligned & generally how I'd hear this IEM with Electronic music (bass focused), smooth jazz or modern genres Hip Hop/ Rap. I really enjoy this Fei Wan.

At 1000 Hz aligned
Singularity - Feiwan 1000Hz.png

But, and this is how I generally hear Fei Wan... Aligned at the convention 1000Hz you can see a lot of midbass fullness (or some would say generous bloat), and this is countered with the treble being ramped up even further to maintain clarity. The problem, for my personal preferences, is that you gain a substantial amount of upper midrange forwardness, in my case very shouty vocals and electric instruments. Fei Wan sounds like this 70% of the time for me, and with most genres. It's a quite aggressive W-Shape with a lot of musicality and dynamics, but a heavy coloration. Think decadent ice cream dessert with extra candy sprinkles and hot fudge, but you kind of lose sight of the ice cream's taste; you like the ice cream dessert for its toppings :wink:

Singularity barely changes its signature no matter the alignment, so you get a consistent FR across pretty much most genres which is to say, LOTS of sub bass thump/ kick, a lot of midbass weight, super clean midrange, and a notable amount of treble roll-off. It's mister good ol reliable for a generally neutral + bass boost signature. You will never get sibilance with this set, but you may also not get the same wow factor as other more resolving sets.

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 15, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #78,578 of 91,357
@Rockwell75 looking forward to what you think of the Nayparm modded 1A against the 1Z. It's noticeably superior to the 1AM2 on Raven, and from my unreliable auditory memory is definitely a step up from the 1A.

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #78,579 of 91,357
@Rockwell75 looking forward to what you think of the Nayparm modded 1A against the 1Z. It's noticeably superior to the 1AM2 on Raven, and from my unreliable auditory memory is definitely a step up from the 1A.

I'm sure that was a typo but I'll be fortunate to be able to compare @bigbeans's modded 1Z directly to my own.

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #78,580 of 91,357
"The result is sooooo incredible that I'm selling Raven" ?

drftr

Jan 15, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #78,581 of 91,357
I'm sure that was a typo but I'll be fortunate to be able to compare @bigbeans's modded 1Z directly to my own.
Oh totally, slipped my mind it was a 1Z. Nayparm modded players have the same guts to my knowledge. So either there's some chassis magic or the CFW.
"The result is sooooo incredible that I'm selling Raven" ?

drftr
Hey, it's listed for trade for a Storm because I have OCD with micro scratches

Jan 15, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #78,583 of 91,357
Would you like me to get you a Storm with scratches for 50% off?

drftr
I wouldn't take any sort of scratches for any sort of discount.

Tbh I'm not sure how I managed to love with my first WM1A that had a scratch for the longest time

Jan 15, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #78,584 of 91,357
I'd just like to have a Storm at this rate. I should have sealed the deal when I had the chance! :disappointed_relieved:

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back