The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 14, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #78,361 of 89,851
My review of the Aune M1P — and a comparison with Sony's WM1AM2 — is out and available on the Vagrant Audiophile and here on Head-Fi, as per usual.

Enjoy the read!

After my experience with smls/topping I was very surprised with Aune lineup. Their headphone amps punches way above its price point already. Detailed, yet not analytical/lean and forced sound. Staging was tier above of what usual chi-fi suspects produce. While some of their products may have QC issues, but at least sound quality is held in high regard. Glad to hear that they kept that in their DAP's too

Jan 14, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #78,362 of 89,851
I’m a pretty quiet and reserved individual so I don’t post much. My question is, I’m looking to buy something special, coming up on 4 years sobriety and music had definitely helped me along the path!
If a man were to spoil him self what IEM would do that? I’ve been looking at the Viking Ragnar, Mentor, and Jewel.
My music preferences are Jazz, R&B, hip-hop and some rap. As I enjoy the details but also a bass hit.
Hopefully I post in the right spot.
-marques

Jan 14, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #78,363 of 89,851
I’m a pretty quiet and reserved individual so I don’t post much. My question is, I’m looking to buy something special, coming up on 4 years sobriety and music had definitely helped me along the path!
If a man were to spoil him self what IEM would do that? I’ve been looking at the Viking Ragnar, Mentor, and Jewel.
My music preferences are Jazz, R&B, hip-hop and some rap. As I enjoy the details but also a bass hit.
-marques
The most luxurious is Ragnar since you are looking for a reward, this one has the quality of finish and design to be that.

And congratulations on the four years I am on my eighth year now. Enjoying everyday.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #78,364 of 89,851
The most luxurious is Ragnar since you are looking for a reward, this one has the quality of finish and design to be that.

And congratulations on the four years I am on my eighth year now. Enjoying everyday.
Awesome, I like that. Thank you

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #78,365 of 89,851
-marques

If your budget extends to the absolute top end, I would suggest definitely finding a store that allows you to audition before you commit.

Have not listened but heard mixed things about Mentor.

Elysian Annihilator and waiting a month or two for Subtonic Storm may be other suggestions. My gut feeling is the latter would potentially suit your style and be different enough to your existing IEMs. You already have a rather nice collection eg. Mest Mk3 and VE.

Congratulations. And best wishes.

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #78,366 of 89,851
The first scratch is always the worse 🤗 It’s character and patina!
I hope it was Empire and not me 😂 It only shows at a specific angle but on shiny gold ugh.

If that tiny drop scratched it....

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #78,367 of 89,851
I hope it was Empire and not me 😂 It only shows at a specific angle but on shiny gold ugh.

Ja ja, I hope so too my friend. It’s been a very “challenging” release for them.

If that tiny drop scratched it....

Let the doggos out, WUF!

One reason why I’ve stopped rolling modules on my XE6 UIEM - have reminders of my early module swaps 🥹

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #78,368 of 89,851
-marques
If it has to be an allarounder basshead, I would definitely recommend the Rn6 and possibly Raven, but I've never heard Raven. Ragnar can have too little bass and too much treble, Mentor too little bass, Anni and Storm too energetic, Canpur too little bass and too much treble, Amber Pearl probably too expensive (8000 USD), Traillii technically not up to date. Yep, I'm sure the Rn6 is perfect for you. Just as a possible problem: some people have sound leakage, I don't have that or it's very, very minimal. Buy it used here for about 2400 USD and you will be happy.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #78,369 of 89,851
If your budget extends to the absolute top end, I would suggest definitely finding a store that allows you to audition before you commit.

Have not listened but heard mixed things about Mentor.

Elysian Annihilator and waiting a month or two for Subtonic Storm may be other suggestions. My gut feeling is the latter would potentially suit your style and be different enough to your existing IEMs. You already have a rather nice collection eg. Mest Mk3 and VE.

Congratulations. And best wishes.
Unfortunately no store in my area to sample. Both Annihilator and Storm sound intriguing! Though being able to sample a few would be ideal. Appreciate the suggestions.

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #78,370 of 89,851
If it has to be an allarounder basshead, I would definitely recommend the Rn6 and possibly Raven, but I've never heard Raven. Ragnar can have too little bass and too much treble, Mentor too little bass, Anni and Storm too energetic, Canpur too little bass and too much treble, Amber Pearl probably too expensive (8000 USD), Traillii technically not up to date. Yep, I'm sure the Rn6 is perfect for you. Just as a possible problem: some people have sound leakage, I don't have that or it's very, very minimal.
That's a good rec. For the same price you could go with Bonneville and Noble Spartacus and see if either of those slightly less expensive options do the trick. They may not carry the pricetag but they deliver the goods. Then you can sell the one you don't like and have money left over for something else!

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #78,371 of 89,851
If it has to be an allarounder basshead, I would definitely recommend the Rn6 and possibly Raven, but I've never heard Raven. Ragnar can have too little bass and too much treble, Mentor too little bass, Anni and Storm too energetic, Canpur too little bass and too much treble, Amber Pearl probably too expensive (8000 USD), Traillii technically not up to date. Yep, I'm sure the Rn6 is perfect for you. Just as a possible problem: some people have sound leakage, I don't have that or it's very, very minimal. Buy it used here for about 2400 USD and you will be happy.
I do enjoy different flavors and giving I already have the Kr5 I wondered if it was that much different, but it seems it is. You certainly answered a lot of questions with a lot on my list. Thank you!

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #78,372 of 89,851
@fejnomit is taking my Trifectas. I enjoyed one last morning with them. Speed metal is a no-no, but classic rock is insane on these. I think for my next IEM, what I need is treble extension combined with instrument separation (ie, air) and a wide soundstage. No idea if Raven is the way to go on that or if there'll be something at CanJam that'll do that for me. I think my biggest regret is there may be nothing out there that can do the kind of staging and separation trifecta can and still combine that with resolution and air. That air chamber design they've made is really something unique.

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #78,373 of 89,851
:100:

A phone in my pocket was all the watch I needed for many years until I finally got a smart watch a few years ago. Producing a watch to function at its intended purpose does not cost a lot of money, and I believe expensive watches exist to show the world that you can afford an expensive watch. That's it. And that's perfectly fine, the same can be said of expensive clothes, shoes, handbags, and other sorts of jewellery.

One day maybe I'll want that kind of jewellery, but for now I'd MUCH rather put those $$$$$ toward something that makes my ears happy. :)

Maybe. But not necessarily. Personally, I'm 100% with you regarding funneling money to audio vs chronographs. But I think most visitors to this thread have something in common, and that's appreciation of well executed design, engineering, and manufacture to achieve an outstanding product. And whatever your particular interests, once you start stair-stepping your way up, if you have the means, we know where you're going to end up.

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #78,374 of 89,851
That's a good rec. For the same price you could go with Bonneville and Noble Spartacus and see if either of those slightly less expensive options do the trick. They may not carry the pricetag but they deliver the goods. Then you can sell the one you don't like and have money left over for something else!
Bonneville and Spartacus are not TOTL. On the other hand ...

I do enjoy different flavors and giving I already have the Kr5 I wondered if it was that much different, but it seems it is. You certainly answered a lot of questions with a lot on my list. Thank you!
... what is your budget anyway? This is important in order to be able to help you. Between a Bonneville / Spartacus / Singularity / Diva / MK3 – all of them are the best for a budget up to 1500 USD – and the Rn6 – used for 2300–2400 USD –, I'd take the Rn6 any day. Sure, you'll pay about 1000 USD more, but you'll have a great the best all-arounder at TOTL level. For me, the investment would definitely be worth it.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #78,375 of 89,851
-marques

You might consider an alternate to Jewel – Aroma Fei Wan, which has received 👍🏼 from a few Coolers with its details and DD bass.

VE X would be a nice companion to your Elysium. From @aaf evo’s impressions, it’s expertly tuned. NightJar Duality (future release) is also on many’s wishlist.

CanJam NYC is coming up and might be a great opportunity to demo if you’re in the area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back