The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 12, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #78,001 of 88,307
Nice. What are you hearing?

How does this set up compare to AP, FW, Viking Ragnar?
I'm sorry Jim, I don't think I understand that question :joy:
If what you mean the difference between the stock cable and OrphyS, then I can feel the bass is more textured on OrphyS with smoother and controlled mids and treble. Can't compare it with Viking Ragnar because never heard that one.
When compared to FW, then FW definitely more lively, has a better bass impact, and I think the treble on FW is a tad brighter than Apx. I'll always pick FW for EDM 😉
Oh and by lively, I don't mean that Apx is boring. It's far from that, but definitely not as energetic as FW 😁
Compared to AP, IMO Apx has a brighter tuning than AP and maybe because of that, I feel Apx is more resolving and has a cleaner sound. I can say that the bass on AP has more impact too even though it's a BA bass. Mids are thicker on AP plus those BCD goodness really do their magic. Most of my IEM leans toward warm actually, so Apx give me a different flavor in my collection 😉

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #78,002 of 88,307
Jan 12, 2024 at 5:55 AM Post #78,003 of 88,307
This is entirely speculation, I suspect it is hard to put on more shows whatever the location. Six CanJams in 12 months is heading in the direction of a Formula One season. The exhibitors that go to non CanJam shows may feel like they live the Formula One season! I have thought about a holiday to Poland for Custom Art and Lime Ears (the Anima version 2 prototype at London 2023 provided a tease, a taste). Sadly I know that the real answer is getting the money together to holiday in Singapore/Japan/Hong Kong :relaxed:
No dates for 2024 yet but you can always aim to visit AVS in Warsaw https://audioshow-pl.translate.goog/pl/main?_x_tr_sl=pl&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=pl

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #78,005 of 88,307
Screenshot_20240112-183207_TIDAL.jpg

Afternoon workout on my static bike with XM5 listening to this classic trance music 😁
90's trance music never dies 🔥🔥

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #78,007 of 88,307

Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah is now known as Chief Adjuah and pretty much his whole library is available on bandcamp! :) A unique trumpet sound mixed into a modern jazz approach, or a more classic one on the older albums, very high quality releases culminate in a fantastic catalogue that spans his whole career. Fantastic sound quality.

Jan 12, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #78,009 of 88,307
What's a good Kilobuck IEM for someone who loves the vocals of Oriolus Reborn and good quality bass (CE-5?)
I still have Mk2 and owned CE-5. CE-5 is a solid bass upgrade but mids/treble were thinner.

Vocal tastes are hard one to communicate. With a grain of salt, I might suggest trying Oriolus Isa, Zen Pro, FAusio Mezzo, and my new favorite Spartacus :wink: I think there are lot of “good” sets out there in this price bracket. You have lot more choice than Mk2 times…

Jan 12, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #78,010 of 88,307
Not yet but I intend to. Given the reviews and impressions, it seems to be a set that would gel with me.

On a different note, spent an afternoon in e-earphones last week. 6 floors of head-fi goodness. An afternoon in a single trip is definitely not enough! Of all the sets I listened, I like the Noble Zephyr and Acoustune Sho (ACT07) most. For TWS, the Noble Fokus Prestige is top-notch.

This is literally my sound profile. No wonder I have come to share your love for CFA...

I love the Mastermind plug-in. The A4499 does as you say, to my ears. My favorite is the PC1704. Wow. Another way in which you can fine-tune the RS8 to your liking. I do not have Raven, although I was about to order one when the shenanigans went down. Now waiting on V2 impressions.

Not the Ronin. Well yes, the Ronin. But extremely emotive mids along with the technicals. Utterly captivating. Tech in service of emotion.

I have both Ronin and Fokus Prestige. Ronin still manages to romance me with it's rich and lush mids and vocals. I love it.

Fokus Prestige really surprised me, for TWS, it's probably the best I've heard so far and has put me on the market to find an IEM that has ronins tuning but with that DD tactility, rumble, and slam.

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #78,011 of 88,307
on the market to find an IEM that has ronins tuning but with that DD tactility, rumble, and slam.
The Holy Grail! In the meantime, I added the Eletech Perseus to my Ronins and got part way there...

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #78,012 of 88,307
Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #78,013 of 88,307
I still have Mk2 and owned CE-5. CE-5 is a solid bass upgrade but mids/treble were thinner.

Vocal tastes are hard one to communicate. With a grain of salt, I might suggest trying Oriolus Isa, Zen Pro, FAusio Mezzo, and my new favorite Spartacus :wink: I think there are lot of “good” sets out there in this price bracket. You have lot more choice than Mk2 times…

I owned the Reborn-- great bass & female vocals, but a little lean in the midbass/lower mids for me personally. That said for someone looking to level up an IEM with exactly that sound sig I'd add the FatFreq Maestro SE into the coversation also.

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #78,014 of 88,307
I have both Ronin and Fokus Prestige. Ronin still manages to romance me with it's rich and lush mids and vocals. I love it.

Fokus Prestige really surprised me, for TWS, it's probably the best I've heard so far and has put me on the market to find an IEM that has ronins tuning but with that DD tactility, rumble, and slam.
We'll get there, and sooner rather than later. End of the cable era like for everything else in life except for towing cars. I'd happily sacrifice that last 3% for not being tied to a chair or, worse, cable microphonics.

drftr

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #78,015 of 88,307
We'll get there, and sooner rather than later. End of the cable era like for everything else in life except for towing cars. I'd happily sacrifice that last 3% for not being tied to a chair or, worse, cable microphonics.

drftr
TWS 🤢

Users who are viewing this thread

Back