The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 9, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #77,581 of 91,367
Trifecta is an odd one, I personally am not a huge fan, but commend it for being a complete change of pace in an otherwise very rinse-and-repeat market. I don’t particularly like its tonality nor do I find it very technical like most TOTL, but it has a holographic presentation and a very raw character to its presentation (tuning and texturally). That would be its X-factor. Treble is energetic, peaky but can be exciting for some I suppose. I will also add it to the sheet.

I do find the price steep for it, I think it’s “worth” $1500 in sound quality if being generous, but it’s outperformed by some sub-1K products. Price does not mean anything as you can see based on how I score, it’s a very arbitrary metric, especially seeing how hundreds of products are using the same engines internally. Trifecta does not have off-the-shelf drivers, which I also respect.
I know this debate has been had ad nauseam but I’ve not properly commented on it before so my 2 cents.

Whilst I understand Trifecta is not to everyone’s taste tonally, I honestly find it strange how some (most?) don’t hear the TOTL technicalities that I do. And I don’t mean to sound derogatory or argumentative so sorry if it comes across differently. (Might be it’s tuning that can be off putting or initially jarring to skew first impressions?)

I’ve had the pleasure to own a bunch of different IEMs from all different price ranges over the past couple of years and not found 1 that is significantly more ‘technical’. Some of the IEMs I’m talking about here are Phonix, Tia Trio, A8000, Legend X/Evo, Aroma Thunder (heck, I’ve also owned Focal Utopia). I’ve also heard a few TOTL iems at shows and personally see why Trifecta is priced comparatively (and not as much as Trailli etc). (To be clear, I don’t want to pay this much for any IEM but that’s a different argument)

I find Trifecta is about on par technically with something like Phonix, but for my taste, Trifecta wins by a landslide. I love the realism it creates with its pure DD timbre and that trumps ‘pure technicality’ for me, but in saying that, I still hear the TOTL levels of detail and nuance I’d expect to hear at this price. So in my book it does both to a very high standard.

I’m sat here listening to Forty Six & 2 by Tool and it’s the same effortless level of detail that Phonix threw at me previously, but much more life-like with added dynamics and texture/natural timbre (textured crunch of guitars/visceral drums) and its testament to how good these DDs are. I guess it allows the music to engage and move me more than a typical all-BA or hybrid set.

I’m also not trying to say Trifecta is perfect (Treble can be problematic as some of the peaks make some track come across harsh for example) but it really hits most of my needs and wants. Especially with the type of doomy stoner rock that I’m spending a lot of my time appreciating these days.

For what it’s worth, I’m pairing Trifecta with Sony sources which seem to go hand in hand effortlessly.

I’d love to hear a sub-1k IEM that outperforms Trifecta though 👍🏻😀

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #77,582 of 91,367
I believe it was red as I remember seeing some red accents on it somewhere on the body. Did not demo other filters sadly as I completely forgot about that feature lol. Guess I'm taking another 40 minute taxi ride there tomorrow :D

They also have a RS8 & N7 (my main source) there I can demo with I'd probably give that a try.

Ja, red is the least isolating of all modules and I pair it with a warmer source like N30LE, RS8, or DX300 Amp 11/12. N7 is also a good source that's relaxing on the highs. I've settled on black which is a good balance between red and silver. But definitely try with both RS8 and N7, and try black or silver – it's PITA but helpful.

I've been relaxing XE6 for the past couple of days while running in E12 – after 72 hours, highs have settled in quite a bit to a more subtle V.

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #77,583 of 91,367
Awesome unboxing - Letshouer Cadenza 12!

IMG_7985.jpeg

IMG_7988.jpeg

IMG_7994.jpeg

IMG_8006.jpeg

IMG_8024.jpeg

IMG_7449.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #77,584 of 91,367
I know this debate has been had ad nauseam but I’ve not properly commented on it before so my 2 cents.

Whilst I understand Trifecta is not to everyone’s taste tonally, I honestly find it strange how some (most?) don’t hear the TOTL technicalities that I do. And I don’t mean to sound derogatory or argumentative so sorry if it comes across differently. (Might be it’s tuning that can be off putting or initially jarring to skew first impressions?)

I’ve had the pleasure to own a bunch of different IEMs from all different price ranges over the past couple of years and not found 1 that is significantly more ‘technical’. Some of the IEMs I’m talking about here are Phonix, Tia Trio, A8000, Legend X/Evo, Aroma Thunder (heck, I’ve also owned Focal Utopia). I’ve also heard a few TOTL iems at shows and personally see why Trifecta is priced comparatively (and not as much as Trailli etc). (To be clear, I don’t want to pay this much for any IEM but that’s a different argument)

I find Trifecta is about on par technically with something like Phonix, but for my taste, Trifecta wins by a landslide. I love the realism it creates with its pure DD timbre and that trumps ‘pure technicality’ for me, but in saying that, I still hear the TOTL levels of detail and nuance I’d expect to hear at this price. So in my book it does both to a very high standard.

I’m sat here listening to Forty Six & 2 by Tool and it’s the same effortless level of detail that Phonix threw at me previously, but much more life-like with added dynamics and texture/natural timbre (textured crunch of guitars/visceral drums) and its testament to how good these adds are. I guess it allows the music to engage and move me more than a typical all-BA or hybrid set.

I’m also not trying to say Trifecta is perfect (Treble can be problematic as some of the peaks make some track come across harsh for example) but it really hits most of my needs and wants. Especially with the type of doomy stoner rock that I’m spending a lot of my time appreciating these days.

For what it’s worth, I’m pairing Trifecta with Sony sources which seem to go hand in hand effortlessly.

I’d love to hear a sub-1k IEM that outperforms Trifecta though 👍🏻😀
First of all, the question of what "technicality" means needs to be clarified. Because it can mean many things (and then again nothing).

As far as I am personally concerned and what I remember, Trifecta is not even close to TOTL level in terms of "technicality", as it is simply inadequate in the following aspects: 1. resolution of the mids and especially the trebles, 2. microdynamics (almost absent), 3. transients (too slow), 4. from a certain perspective even soundstage (on some tracks it was really big, and yet on others relatively very small), 5. instrument separation (which for me goes hand in hand with the first point). Otherwise, the metallic mids and the thin trebles were very problematic for me to hear. I had sold Trifecta the first time and had even given it a second chance. I sold it shortly afterwards.
In my opinion, Campfire Audio should urgently address the task of improving the quality of the mids and treble. Solaris 2020, Solaris Stellar Horizon, Supermoon, Bonneville (as I have read in several places), and supposedly others that I have not heard... they all have the same problems with mids and treble. If they could get that right, they would be really strong.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #77,585 of 91,367
Campfire Audio should urgently address the task of improving the quality of the mids and treble. Solaris 2020, Solaris Stellar Horizon, Supermoon, supposedly Bonneville... they all have the same problems with mids and treble. If they could get that right, they would be really strong.

Yes, I know, I'm making myself unpopular with my opinion now…
Well then it seems their tuning is not for you! I have zero problem with that, although I love Bonneville and especially Cascara for how perfectly they tune their midranges despite the strong bass presence. I also happen to love Cascara's treble response. Feels spot-on to reality to me. But I don't understand one thing, which is throwing Solaris, Supermoon and Bonneville into a similar category in terms of "mids and treble." They have very different profiles in those areas. Especially treble...

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #77,586 of 91,367
Well then it seems their tuning is not for you! I have zero problem with that, although I love Bonneville and especially Cascara for how perfectly they tune their midranges despite the strong bass presence. I also happen to love Cascara's treble response. Feels spot-on to reality to me. But I don't understand one thing, which is throwing Solaris, Supermoon and Bonneville into a similar category in terms of "mids and treble." They have very different profiles in those areas. Especially treble...
I LOVED the tuning and I had really missed it a lot, otherwise I certainly wouldn't have bought Trifecta a second time. But these problems were too big for me. My solution for a bassy tuning: Xe6. Well, this iem is really great (and resolving!)

With regard to the mids and trebles, I meant the same constant problem: non-resolving and metallic mids, non-resolving and thin and peaky/sibilant trebles.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #77,587 of 91,367
First of all, the question of what "technicality" means needs to be clarified. Because it can mean many things (and then again nothing).

As far as I am personally concerned and what I remember, Trifecta is not even close to TOTL level in terms of "technicality", as it is simply inadequate in the following aspects: 1. resolution of the mids and especially the trebles, 2. microdynamics (almost absent), 3. transients (too slow), 4. from a certain perspective even soundstage (on some tracks it was really big, and yet on others relatively very small), 5. instrument separation (which for me goes hand in hand with the first point). Otherwise, the metallic mids and the thin trebles were very problematic for me to hear. I had sold Trifecta the first time and had even given it a second chance. I sold it shortly afterwards.
In my opinion, Campfire Audio should urgently address the task of improving the quality of the mids and treble. Solaris 2020, Solaris Stellar Horizon, Supermoon, supposedly Bonneville... they all have the same problems with mids and treble. If they could get that right, they would be really strong.

Yes, I know, I'm making myself unpopular with my opinion now…
The Trifecta is a love hate IEM and nobody has a golden ear, we must remember that.

XE6 for me not RN6 and never Mentor.
But anyway it is what it is, and we should keep in mind that everyone has a golden ear for their own listening.

It is hard not to react sometimes when somebody else hears something I connected with and denies the very things I found outstanding. So subjective.
I must be careful not to question my own hearing because of loud voices telling me to have doubt.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #77,588 of 91,367
The Trifecta is a love hate IEM and nobody has a golden ear, we must remember that.

XE6 for me not RN6 and never Mentor.
But anyway it is what it is, and we should keep in mind that everyone has a golden ear for their own listening.

It is hard not to react sometimes when somebody else hears something I connected with and denies the very things I found outstanding. So subjective. I must be careful to not question my own hearing because of loud voices telling me to have doubt.
Very wise comment and I completely agree. As for me, I always emphasize my subjective perspective and never claim that others see it the same way. @Leviathant
had asked a question and I wanted to give my personal opinion. The fact that others see it that way is of course perfectly fine and I respect that. After all, we shouldn't forget that it's not just the technicalities that matter, but what moves us internally. And Trifecta does it really well, without a doubt.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #77,589 of 91,367
I love the tuning and I had really missed it a lot, otherwise I certainly wouldn't have bought Trifecta a second time. But these problems were too big for me. My solution for a bassy tuning: Xe6. Well, this iem is really great (and resolving!)
Got it. We hear differently, no worries. I will perhaps make myself unpopular by saying XE6 was screeching in the upper-mids to my ears. But I am old (haha 53) and have some tinnitus, so that area can be difficult for me. But I also found XE6 a bit incoherent in terms of FR (RN6 too) - never felt like a single piece of music was reaching my ears at the same time. That's one "technical" area where CFA shines - presenting a dynamic coherent wave of music that just flows organically. To my ears there is such a thing as too much microdynamics and too much much resolution that can sound unnatural on the level of the musical event.

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #77,590 of 91,367
With regard to the mids and trebles, I meant the same constant problem: non-resolving and metallic mids, non-resolving and thin and peaky/sibilant trebles.
Wow, okay. I don't hear that in the CFA offerings. But good you have discovered what works and doesn't work for you.

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #77,591 of 91,367
Enjoying the UM MEST MK3 with the Eletech Victoria, which I received yesterday! :)

MMK3_ELEVICT.png

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #77,592 of 91,367
I LOVED the tuning and I had really missed it a lot, otherwise I certainly wouldn't have bought Trifecta a second time. But these problems were too big for me. My solution for a bassy tuning: Xe6. Well, this iem is really great (and resolving!)

Definitely hear the metallic mids on the Supermoon, but I think stuff like Andro is relatively OK.

I agree with all of your observations about the Trifecta - it is exactly how I hear and feel about it. But then I am also glad many are enjoying it, really shows that there is a market for everything.

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #77,593 of 91,367

In my opinion, Campfire Audio should urgently address the task of improving the quality of the mids and treble. Solaris 2020, Solaris Stellar Horizon, Supermoon, Bonneville (as I have read in several places), and supposedly others that I have not heard... they all have the same problems with mids and treble. If they could get that right, they would be really strong.

I thought the first reply might make me feel like I’ve been crucified. You are right about technicalities needing definition; I’d probably come back with my personal definition of this but I’m busy at work at the minute. I’m sure though technicalities can’t mean nothing.

I have to say ‘completely inadequate’ is quite the statement. I was clear to point out where my opinions might differ from others and they are my subjective take. I clearly disagree with your sweeping statement and appear to like what you dislike, or rather don’t hear them the same way. Clearly.

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #77,594 of 91,367
I am curious about your approach for burning in an iem. What DAP and do you have a playlist of tracks varying in sound?

Nothing scientific, just playing random music from a source in a loop for days. Most of my music listening time is spent in the car to/from work, and tbh, most of my IEM listening is for reviewing while going through a selection of test tracks. So, for me to get to 120hrs of a regular listening time with a single pair of iems will take at least a month. Another advantage of such burn in for 3-4 days is that you can recall easier any changes you heard from a few days ago. Otherwise, it will be a lot harder to detect any changes after going through a brain burn in while listening for weeks... Now, I have also spoken with people who are convinced that using pink vs white noise during cable burn in will affect the tonality of the wires. Not gonna comment on that :D

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #77,595 of 91,367
Just received some exciting news… the VE 10 demo has arrived at MusicTeck and I’ll have it tomorrow. I’ve been asking Andrew (and VE) when he’ll receive this for far too long that I’m embarrassed to even admit when the first email was sent 😅 it’s an IEM that I’ve wanted to hear since I first heard about the prototypes back at CanJam SG ‘23.

I’m really looking forward to this one, I tend to really vibe with Vision Ears IEMs. 🤞🏽

Users who are viewing this thread

Back