The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 8, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #77,416 of 87,781
Interesting. That's a copper/silver hybrid for a midrange dream set. I like the Perseus copper/silver hybrid on my Ronins, which are my midrange dream set. Do you ever listen to the Perpetua on the SR35 as a mobile option, or is that too much of a good thing?

Jan 8, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #77,418 of 87,781
Jan 8, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #77,419 of 87,781
Interesting. That's a copper/silver hybrid for a midrange dream set. I like the Perseus copper/silver hybrid on my Ronins, which are my midrange dream set. Do you ever listen to the Perpetua on the SR35 as a mobile option, or is that too much of a good thing?

Perpetua + SR35 is a great pairup...however since getting the WM1Z-- which I'm finding has an exceptional synergy with DD based IEMs generally, and is also reasonably portable-- I haven't touched the SR35 in a bit.

9F6680A8-4DAB-44D3-9F98-0E2140D47407 3.jpeg

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #77,420 of 87,781
From your point of view all daps have humble amps, because all demanding headphones play better with a quality portable or desktop amplifier than with a dap, i have a sp3000 and dont notice any weakness in it that other daps dont, so please change the speach please with all respect, i am tired of your obvious conclusions
We're obviously lost in translation here because this is basically what I mean. I just try to be careful around here how I write about that topic because in both departments people tent to take things personally. Just like you (maybe?) just did.

I repeat what I'm trying to say- the SP3000 is, in my humble opinion, more than capable to be used with probably all IEMs and most headphones. There are obviously edge cases (e.g. Susvara, HE6SE and others) that don't play nice with it.

Some DAPs have more power than the SP3K (e.g. NE30, 320max, RS8 etc.) but yes I agree, those are also not powerful enough to drive e.g. a Susvara to sound good.

(Edit) Forgot to add that I'm more than happy with the SE3K, that's why I try to dig as deep as I can into this mystery of driving IEMs / hard to drive IEMs and what you really need to have a "good enough" setup. Even getting behind this is a rabbit hole on It's own 😵‍💫😅

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #77,421 of 87,781
We're obviously lost in translation here because this is basically what I mean. I just try to be careful around here how I write about that topic because in both departments people tent to take things personally. Just like you (maybe?) just did.

I repeat what I'm trying to say- the SP3000 is, in my humble opinion, more than capable to be used with probably all IEMs and most headphones. There are obviously edge cases (e.g. Susvara, HE6SE and others) that don't play nice with it.

Some DAPs have more power than the SP3K (e.g. NE30, 320max, RS8 etc.) but yes I agree, those are also not powerful enough to drive e.g. a Susvara to sound good.
For some people reading is difficult..
Perpetua + SR35 is a great pairup...however since getting the WM1Z-- which I'm finding has an exceptional synergy with DD based IEMs generally, and is also reasonably portable-- I haven't touched the SR35 in a bit.

9F6680A8-4DAB-44D3-9F98-0E2140D47407 3.jpeg
I wonder if I could paint the connectors on this cable black... But I guess using the Eros AE is the better route. Looking forward to receiving this IEM soon...

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #77,422 of 87,781
Alright I can cross this one off the list as well. Anni's mids worked for the sound as a whole but I wanted more.

So I've put together a small list of IEMs I want to compare to the VEX to confirm if it's truly "the one" for me:

1. Aura
2. Camelot
3. Perpetua?
4. Newish FiRs (just really curious about the BCD and the constant praise for them, loved the M5, was also the most comfortable universal I've ever owned.)
5. Bonneville (Also wanted to ask for those ho have listened to this if the mids on these are closer to OG Solaris or the later versions? I heavily prefer the OG's tuning)

Am I missing out on any IEMs with DD bass and warmish/full sounding mids?
If you don't mind going with a lesser known brand, AüR Audio Aurora w/dual DD's and 6 BA's are worth looking into. I have the now discontinued precursor model, AüR Audio Aure, and the mids are spectacular, like a warm coat while drinking hot chocolate by the fire BUT not gooey / sloppy, just lush whilst retaining sufficient detail and layering. They are a bargain as well at under $600 USD.
+1 for the Aurora. It is just as Lory describes.

But if you want a bit more treble energy to go with it, their newest tribrid release called Ascension apparently fits the bill.

I was interested in them until the whole fiasco with the polls lol.
Sorry to hear about this. I agree that move was uncalled for and it inevitably stained their reputation. It does, however, not take away from the fact their mastermind who stands behind these creations is a bit of a genius and highly skilled.

This is coming from a guy who has spent crazy amounts (compared to my income) on their IEMs.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #77,423 of 87,781
For some people reading is difficult..

I wonder if I could paint the connectors on this cable black... But I guess using the Eros AE is the better route. Looking forward to receiving this IEM soon...
Not unless you wanted to use something like silicone or latex-based paint. Otherwise it'll flake. That said--if those connectors can safely be detached, you could feasibly rit dye them. Just to be sure to dry thoroughly and hit them with a splash of clear coat to avoid them dyeing your ears.

Jan 8, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #77,424 of 87,781
No point arguing IEMs vs headphones imho. They are different but both great. After having focused on IEMs for a few months, I am now firmly in a headphone phase again.. This evening I listened to the VC with the Euforia and later with Susvara through the Holo May/Bliss stack and it was… well… Bliss… if I May say so.. :)
Agreed here, a good headphone is a more enthralling experience over most IEM's.

The only nitpick on headphones is you'll never get anything as "perfectly" balanced as some of the best IEM, though you can get many more intangible nuances and cues off headphones which make not having a perfect FR a bit of a non-issue.
Ok, did some more experimenting. The tour kit came with 2 cables. The stock one that was on it makes vocals unlistenable, I mean it's awful. The vocals are so recessed and distant. Swapped to this thicker one shown here, problem solved, voices/mids much more forward and balanced now. What a terrible pairing. This is a testament to the difference cables can make, TBH it's a change on par with something like Orpheus swapping out these cables. I thought I could write the Anni off as a hyped garbage set but alas it isn't, now it sounds tremendous, night and day difference. Literally thought something was broken, was that bad. Worse than the Jewel cable debacle IMO, it's certainly a better looking cable than the Jewel cable but it totally ruins Anni.

This looks to the be the effect audio fusion 1 cable, would advise all Anni owners to swap out their stock to this or something better. I am not trying to sound hyperbolic but the difference is significant. Cable swaps are normally 10-15% difference in my book aside from Orpheus and a few others that made a significant difference. I would include fusion 1 in that big difference category at least with Anni.

https://www.effectaudio.com/fusion-1

Elysian shot themselves in the foot with the stock cable, just like Aroma with jewel.
The Liquid Links Martini is a bit of a midbass cannon and very rich sounding cable. Definitely can mask detail. Anni23 benefits from other cables more so than Anni21 due to 23's already significant bass boost.
So today I was given the opportunity to try @AxLvR 's latest toy, the Wan and only Aroma Audio Fei Wan.

I tried the FW using songs that I usually listen to, like K-Pop and Hip-Hop/Rap. Simply put, this is the MOST musical IEM I've ever heard, very musical yet detailed.

The Fei Wan still has Jewel's DNA, especially in the midrange, but apart from that, the bass and highs are better on the Fei Wan, the imaging on the FW is very very holographic, lastly the soundstage isn't very big, but it's not small either, just enough to my liking.

All listening was done with SP3k. :)
IMG_6898.jpeg
@AxLvR Al's FW set are the prettiest I've seen yet to my tastes and it just clicked in my head what the design reminds me of - Radagon of the Golden Order in Elden Ring!

1704733995370.png

1704734011764.png

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 8, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #77,425 of 87,781
Agreed here, a good headphone is a more enthralling experience over most IEM's.

The only nitpick on headphones is you'll never get anything as "perfectly" balanced as some of the best IEM, though you can get many more intangible nuances and cues off headphones which make not having a perfect FR a bit of a non-issue.

The Liquid Links Martini is a bit of a midbass cannon and very rich sounding cable. Definitely can mask detail. Anni23 benefits from other cables more so than Anni21 due to 23's already significant bass boost.

@AxLvR Al's FW set are the prettiest I've seen yet to my tastes and it just clicked in my head what the design reminds me of - Radagon of the Golden Order in Elden Ring!

1704733995370.png
1704734011764.png
the mid-bass is the only thing I wish was a bit less. Just out of curiosity: which cable would you recommend?

Jan 8, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #77,426 of 87,781
Woa congrats on the Rosenkranz Silver HB purchase! Silver HB and APX are Definitely interesting sets that I am keen to try out. Just curious how P0 stack up with those new comers?

Thanks man! :)
I didn’t compare P0 and APX side by side, but to me I couldn’t say one is necessarily better than the other… just different flavor and they are both excellent on the technical aspects.
APX is definitely brighter overall with less bass, especially mid bass, and thinner sounding mids. They both have a lot of energy and clarity in the upper mids / lower treble region and both have very extended trebles.
Soundstage is probably a bit deeper on P0 and more cohesive, while APX is more focused on separation and positioning cues.
Take what I say with a grain of salt, because I’m just talking based on memory concerning P0. But I know it well enough to confidently think I shouldn’t be too far off in my impressions.

As for the Rosenkranz HB, I’ll try to post some comparisons when I find time. :wink:
I a/b'd the Perpetua and 622B with that thought after coming to the realization that their presentations are quite similar. I eventually came out on the side of the Perpetua because I really jive with its bass response and that happens to be a particular area of fixation for me. YMMV etc.

What pushed you over the line with that IEM? IE., what does it do that you feel makes it justify that price?

Hi! :)

I really find it fascinating how differently we hear Perpetua!!
I just can’t relate to the many comments I’m seeing about how great Perpetua’s bass is.
I mean, don’t get me wrong! The quality is pretty good, but I find it’s tuning quite flat with not much elevation in the bass, especially in the sub bass.
To my ears, I’m finding CP622b to be significantly bassier and not even close in the sub bass.

I’m just not sure why I’m hearing it that way… I even tried 5 different sets in case it would be a faulty demo unit. I demoed it with LP6 Gold and several other players and even tried it with a desktop amp to make sure it wasn’t underpowered. I also tried different tips and cables but always came up with the same conclusion. I even asked my wife to try it without telling her anything and asked her for her opinion and she had pretty much the same opinion.
As you can see, this set really had me scratch my head for a while!!! :D

Also, one thing to note is every single sets I demoed were the Perpetua C version which is retailed with the Celeste cable. Which made me suspect that the tuning was different to the none C version of the Perpetua, but I have no clue if it’s the case or not…

Or maybe we just hear it totally differently, which is definitely a possibility…
I’m quite sensitive to upper mids / lower treble and find Perpetua borderline sibilant on some tracks, which may potentially impact the way I’m perceiving the bass in comparison to the treble peak?! :thinking:

Anyways, I think that’s one of the interesting aspects of the hobby to have people getting such different experiences out of a product! :)

What pushed you over the line with that IEM? IE., what does it do that you feel makes it justify that price?

Regarding the Rosenkranz HB, well… To be perfectly honest I can’t think of any rational reason that would justify its price tag (or any other sets at this kind of price actually…).
Here we’re entering straight into the obscure irrationality of human nature…
But if you want to know what I like about it (which in no way makes it worth its price, even to me). It’s been in my top 5 for almost a year and I just feel I connect with its sound and philosophy. It’s one of the rare TOTL that really makes me want to listen to and get lost in the music without thinking and analyzing it.
Most of the other sets I own are technical monsters, which is awesome, but sometimes detracts from the music itself and makes you focus on the technicalities. Also most modern sets have a some sort of digital flavor.

The RK Silver HB is more about timber, amazing bass, cohesion and musicality. It’s a lot of fun!
Don’t get me wrong, technically it’s still excellent! Just not the main focus.
There are for sure other sets that can provide this kind of experience, but I just didn’t connect with them as much as they always had something that bothered me. Clearly this one isn’t perfect either but nothing is.

Add to that the exclusivity, exotisme, the looks that I really like and more importantly the fact that I’m totally nuts :D and things can happen!!!

I’m only a bit disappointed that they don’t spit rainbow unicorns out of the nozzles… For the price they could have figured that one out, right??!! :D

Hello

I am tempted after reading your comments to take the Canpur CP622B.

Does your experience allow you to recommend a particular cable?

Merci
Salut 👋

I didn’t try that many cables with 622b but so far my favorite was Eletec Ode to Laura.
Although I’m finding the stock cable to be pretty good already.

Cheers 🍻

Julien

Jan 8, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #77,427 of 87,781
Thanks man! :)
I didn’t compare P0 and APX side by side, but to me I couldn’t say one is necessarily better than the other… just different flavor and they are both excellent on the technical aspects.
APX is definitely brighter overall with less bass, especially mid bass, and thinner sounding mids. They both have a lot of energy and clarity in the upper mids / lower treble region and both have very extended trebles.
Soundstage is probably a bit deeper on P0 and more cohesive, while APX is more focused on separation and positioning cues.
Take what I say with a grain of salt, because I’m just talking based on memory concerning P0. But I know it well enough to confidently think I shouldn’t be too far off in my impressions.

As for the Rosenkranz HB, I’ll try to post some comparisons when I find time. :wink:

Hi! :)

I really find it fascinating how differently we hear Perpetua!!
I just can’t relate to the many comments I’m seeing about how great Perpetua’s bass is.
I mean, don’t get me wrong! The quality is pretty good, but I find it’s tuning quite flat with not much elevation in the bass, especially in the sub bass.
To my ears, I’m finding CP622b to be significantly bassier and not even close in the sub bass.

I’m just not sure why I’m hearing it that way… I even tried 5 different sets in case it would be a faulty demo unit. I demoed it with LP6 Gold and several other players and even tried it with a desktop amp to make sure it wasn’t underpowered. I also tried different tips and cables but always came up with the same conclusion. I even asked my wife to try it without telling her anything and asked her for her opinion and she had pretty much the same opinion.
As you can see, this set really had me scratch my head for a while!!! :D

Also, one thing to note is every single sets I demoed were the Perpetua C version which is retailed with the Celeste cable. Which made me suspect that the tuning was different to the none C version of the Perpetua, but I have no clue if it’s the case or not…

Or maybe we just hear it totally differently, which is definitely a possibility…
I’m quite sensitive to upper mids / lower treble and find Perpetua borderline sibilant on some tracks, which may potentially impact the way I’m perceiving the bass in comparison to the treble peak?! :thinking:

Anyways, I think that’s one of the interesting aspects of the hobby to have people getting such different experiences out of a product! :)

Regarding the Rosenkranz HB, well… To be perfectly honest I can’t think of any rational reason that would justify its price tag (or any other sets at this kind of price actually…).
Here we’re entering straight into the obscure irrationality of human nature…
But if you want to know what I like about it (which in no way makes it worth its price, even to me). It’s been in my top 5 for almost a year and I just feel I connect with its sound and philosophy. It’s one of the rare TOTL that really makes me want to listen to and get lost in the music without thinking and analyzing it.
Most of the other sets I own are technical monsters, which is awesome, but sometimes detracts from the music itself and makes you focus on the technicalities. Also most modern sets have a some sort of digital flavor.

The RK Silver HB is more about timber, amazing bass, cohesion and musicality. It’s a lot of fun!
Don’t get me wrong, technically it’s still excellent! Just not the main focus.
There are for sure other sets that can provide this kind of experience, but I just didn’t connect with them as much as they always had something that bothered me. Clearly this one isn’t perfect either but nothing is.

Add to that the exclusivity, exotisme, the looks that I really like and more importantly the fact that I’m totally nuts :D and things can happen!!!

I’m only a bit disappointed that they don’t spit rainbow unicorns out of the nozzles… For the price they could have figured that one out, right??!! :D

Salut 👋

I didn’t try that many cables with 622b but so far my favorite was Eletec Ode to Laura.
Although I’m finding the stock cable to be pretty good already.

Cheers 🍻

Julien
Totally with you on Perpetua. Which is bad news as I may think similar about Rosenkranz too. And basically for all the things I hoped (or even planned) to find in Perpetua but couldn't. But I'm super happy it's working wonders for some of us here, which is the absolute goal of this thread, as it has been made possible through sharing opinions. For free!

drftr

Jan 8, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #77,428 of 87,781
IMG_0314.jpeg
gotta catch em all, apparently

Jan 8, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #77,430 of 87,781
Starting off my 2024 with a big upgrade. Just picked up a universal pair of the Radon 6 and the new FiiO Q15. Loving them so far.
That looks like a massive jump indeed, never to be repeated in your whole life. At least that's what I hope for you finance-wise 😉

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back